Matt Nordhoff

Jan 11, 2006, 6:56:38 AM1/11/06
On 01/10/06 19:45, »Q« wrote:
> Chris Ilias <mozl...@ilias.ca> wrote in
>
>> _�Q�_ spoke thusly on 10/01/2006 1:27 PM:
>>> I like live bookmarks so much that I have too many of them. When
>>> I start the browser, they all start loading, which eats up much
>>> of the bandwidth of my can-and-string 'net connection. Is there
>>> a way to prevent them from loading as soon as the browser starts?
>>> Ideally, sometime after browser start, there'e be a quick way to
>>> tell them all to load.
>> I don't think so. Have you considered an web feed extension, like
>> Sage? http://sage.mozdev.org/
>
> I've used it, and I've used stand-alone feed readers. I think you're
> probably right -- I should use a reader or extension and pare down the
> live bookmarks to just the ones I really open often.

Sage won't check automatically when you start Firefox -- or ever,
actually. You have to click to button to check for updates. Automatic
checking may come in the future, but it's not here yet, at least.

So you shouldn't pare down your list just for updating time. Though, of
course, when you do click the button to have Sage check for updates, it
will take longer the more read feeds you have...
--
Yay!

Matt Nordhoff

Jan 11, 2006, 7:01:11 AM1/11/06

»Q«, you should to send a Content-Type header that specifies a character
encoding (ISO-8859-1 works) so my defaulting to UTF-8 won't mess up your
name. :-\
--
Yay!

Message has been deleted

Matt Nordhoff

Jan 11, 2006, 4:02:18 PM1/11/06
On 01/11/06 15:42, »Q« wrote:
> Thanks. Apparently I had changed a setting inadvertently. Should be
> working again now.

Thank you! :-)
--
Yay!

Splibbilla

Mar 19, 2006, 8:44:27 PM3/19/06
Matt Nordhoff <mnor...@gmail.com> in news:ZLudnddCb6s...@mozilla.org:

> On 01/10/06 19:45, »Q« wrote:
>> Chris Ilias <mozl...@ilias.ca> wrote in
>>
>>> _�Q�_ spoke thusly on 10/01/2006 1:27 PM:

you can see this refershing occur in proxo's log.
livemarks *hogging* causes deferred toolbar searches; this is what's annoying. hogging seems to happen ff in winxp, but not
in ff on winme.
also (on xp) it usually occurs the first time ff is loaded after the computer is powered up, but the ff-load hogging doesn't happen
when ff has been shutdown then later reloaded.

i'd prefer some kind of prioritizing, as some standalone donwloaders have.

>>> I don't think so. Have you considered an web feed extension, like
>>> Sage? http://sage.mozdev.org/
>>
>> I've used it, and I've used stand-alone feed readers. I think you're
>> probably right -- I should use a reader or extension and pare down the
>> live bookmarks to just the ones I really open often.
>
> Sage won't check automatically when you start Firefox -- or ever,
> actually. You have to click to button to check for updates. Automatic
> checking may come in the future, but it's not here yet, at least.

i haven't been using sage since about ff ver 1.05 (my net usage seems to ignore the "opportunity" provided by feeds)

but i'd be interested to know whether livemarks do their background auto-checking when a feed xpi (such as sage) is installed
and enabled.

> So you shouldn't pare down your list just for updating time. Though, of
> course, when you do click the button to have Sage check for updates, it
> will take longer the more read feeds you have...

--
(SlippedDisclaimer: almost all comments by me come from a user perspective. the rare other comments may emanate from a crazy
fragger.)

»Q«

Mar 19, 2006, 11:56:30 PM3/19/06
Splibbilla <Splib...@Splib.bit.blip.blop> wrote in

>> Sage won't check automatically when you start Firefox -- or ever,

>> actually. You have to click to button to check for updates.
>> Automatic checking may come in the future, but it's not here yet,
>> at least.
>
> i haven't been using sage since about ff ver 1.05 (my net usage
> seems to ignore the "opportunity" provided by feeds)
>
> but i'd be interested to know whether livemarks do their
> background auto-checking when a feed xpi (such as sage) is
> installed and enabled.

Livemarks are still checked the same way, whether or not Sage is in
use. But Sage can check bookmarked rss/atom/whatever URLs that
aren't livemarks, and Fx won't auto-check those.

Since this thread started, Henrik Gemal has released an extension
which reloads livemarks on demand. I made a feature request in
hopes the extension could have livemarks load /only/ on demand. He
wasn't sure it could be done and said he'd have to take a look at
the Fx source. I'm not pestering him about it, but I reckon it's
worth keeping an eye on that extension.

<http://gemal.dk/blog/2006/02/22/reliby_reload_all_live_bookmarks_extension/>

--
»Q«