No more extensions

1 view

kend...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2007, 1:12:35 PM8/19/07
I have updated my Firefox to the new one and ALL of my extensions, add-
ons and toolbars won't reinstall and it tells me they will be
reintalled when I restart Firefox. I have restarted FF several times
and went as far as rebooting my system. Does any one have any
suggestions to get them all back.

Tony Mechelynck

Aug 19, 2007, 1:38:11 PM8/19/07

It could be that they don't declare themselves as compatible with the new
version. There are several possibilities:

- Some extensions may be compatible and not "know" it. These can be made to
work again by disregarding the compatibility check, as follows:
1. type about:config in the URL bar and hit Enter.
2. Locate the preference named extensions.checkCompatibility (the
preferences are in alphabetical order, but filtering on "compat", without the
quotes, may make it easier to find).
3. Make sure that this preference is set to false: if it is set to true,
double-click to toggle. If it is not listed, right-click then New => Boolean
to create.

- If some extensions are "really" incompatible at the code level, the above
will enable them but it won't make them work. You may have to seek them out,
and disable them manually in the Add-Ons Manager.

- Some extensions may have been upgraded by their authors. In the Add-Ons
Manager, click the button "Find updates" at the bottom. If any updates are
found, click "Install" then (after all progress bars reach 100%, then are
replaced by "Install complete" or something) "Restart Firefox".

- Some extensions may be incompatible now, but get updates in the future. To
catch these, go to
(Windows) Tools => Options
(Linux) Edit => Preferences
(Mac) Firefox => Preferences
=> Advanced => Updates
_Automatically check for updates for____________________________________
[x] Installed Add-ons

- Some extensions' sites may have migrated. In that case, the auto-update may
not find the updates. By installing the "MR-Tech Local Install" extension and
opening "My Config" (Tools => MyConfig => View MyConfig), you will be able to
get to each extension's home site by clicking on its name. From there, it
ought to be easy enough to find the latest version and, if later than what you
have, to install it.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the
shoulders of giants.

In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side
with the giants on whose shoulders we stand.
-- Gerald Holton

If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing
on my shoulders.
-- Hal Abelson

In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.
-- Brian K. Reid

kend...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2007, 1:57:32 PM8/19/07
On Aug 19, 10:38 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@belgacom.net>
wrote:

ok, I tried that and it still doesn't work, then I tried adding a new
extension that was compatible for the new FF and I get the same thing:
"this will be installed when firefox restarts" but it doesn't

Margaret

Aug 19, 2007, 2:41:08 PM8/19/07

I had this problem initially and found that it was a corrupted Firefox
profile. I have two machines, one WXP (Pro SP2) and one Vista (Home
Premium) with UAC activated. As it turned out, once I upgraded to FF
2.0.0.6., Vista needed Firefox to run in Admin mode to avoid corrupting
the mailbox (it was corrupted when copied back to my WXP machine) and to
get the extensions and themes working properly. Once MS released the
August Vista updates, however, I can now run Firefox in user mode and
everything works fine. But I did have to dig out a backup of my
profile, because it was toast after having opened it on Vista prior to
August patches. (That is, same problem on my WXP box.)

Interestingly enough, I also had this problem after upgrading to TB
2.0.0.6. And similarly, the problem was fixed after this month's Vista
updates.

I upgraded FF and TB on my desktop (WXP) first and had no problems. It
wasn't till I opened those same profiles on my Vista machine (right
after upgrading FF and TB) that I realized there was a problem at all.
When those same profiles were copied from my Vista machine back to my
WXP machine, neither extensions nor themes worked properly, and I kept
getting the message that restarting FF and TB would get all extensions
and themes working.

Anyway, I restored my TB and FF profiles from backup, updated Vista, and
now everything is working just fine again. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Margaret

kend...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2007, 2:52:05 PM8/19/07
On Aug 19, 11:41 am, Margaret <twokat...@nospam.gmail.com.invalid>
wrote:

Ok, I tried that as well, then I uninstalled FF and reinstalled a
fresh copy and I still get the same thing, I think this is becoming a
major bug for me. I forgot to mention it earlier but the only OS I
have is XP Pro sp1 (sp2 crashes my computer to where it won't boot)

Tony Mechelynck

Aug 19, 2007, 2:53:09 PM8/19/07

Well, in the "Installation" (or "Update") pane of the Add-Ons Manager, there
is a "Restart Now" button (at bottom right). If that doesn't work, or if that
pane isn't displayed:

1. Click File => Exit (or File => Quit, depending on platform).
2. Wait for Firefox to close completely. This can actually take several _more_
minutes than it takes for all Firefox windows to close. To make certain, you
may use the Windows Task Manager (accessible from the Ctrl-Alt-Del popup), or,
on Linux, the "KDE System Guard" program (ksysguard) or the Gnome System
Monitor; or any program doing a similar job in any OS you happen to be running
Firefox on. Find the "Processes List" (not the Applications List) and sort it
A-Z by process name (usually by clicking on the column header). When
firefox.exe (on Windows) or firefox-bin (on Linux), etc., stops being listed
under the letter F, you know it has finished closing down. At the same time,
in the System load pane (or whatever it is called), you should see a sudden
drop in both CPU and memory use, as displayed graphically over time.
3. Start Firefox again.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
USER, n.:
The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."

kend...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2007, 2:57:42 PM8/19/07
On Aug 19, 11:53 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@belgacom.net>

I have tried that already, I even rebooted the computer itself and I

Sailfish

Aug 19, 2007, 3:29:08 PM8/19/07
kend...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 19, 11:41 am, Margaret <twokat...@nospam.gmail.com.invalid>
> wrote:

<snip />

> Ok, I tried that as well, then I uninstalled FF and reinstalled a
> fresh copy and I still get the same thing, I think this is becoming a
> major bug for me. I forgot to mention it earlier but the only OS I
> have is XP Pro sp1 (sp2 crashes my computer to where it won't boot)

Try renaming the following files in your profile, restarting, add an
extension, restart again and see if that works:

extensions.cache
extensions.ini
extensions.rdf

gl

--
Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/

Irwin Greenwald

Aug 19, 2007, 3:59:36 PM8/19/07
Since nothing else seems to help, try:
1. Uninstall FF
2. Delete the program folder
3. (optional) restart computer
4. Reinstall FF

--
Irwin

kend...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2007, 4:18:25 PM8/19/07
On Aug 19, 12:59 pm, Irwin Greenwald <oi...@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Ok, I tried your suggestions with no luck, so I just went back to the
older version and I will wait for the new update to come out. I won't
bother with 2.0.0.6

kend...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2007, 4:20:02 PM8/19/07

I also wanted to add, I thank all of you for your help and
suggestions, I will remember most of them if I have other problems I
need to fix. To everyone that replied to my post, thank you.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 19, 2007, 4:31:55 PM8/19/07

if you have problems now, you're going to have problems with
the next version. Either fix the problem now, or you'll
never upgrade again.

close FF. Since you're using a Mac, I don't know how you
would start the profile manager. Someone else will have to
tell you that. What I want you to do is create a test
profile, and see if the problem continues in that.

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Alan Baxter

Aug 19, 2007, 4:57:15 PM8/19/07
Sailfish <REMOVECAP...@REMOVECAPSunforgettable.com> wrote:
>Try renaming the following files in your profile, restarting, add an
>extension, restart again and see if that works:
>
>extensions.cache
>extensions.ini
>extensions.rdf

I'm surprised no one suggested this earlier, Sailfish. It's one of the
most common effective solutions to this problem. From the MozillaZine
knowledge base:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_install_themes_or_extensions_-_Firefox#Corrupt_extension_files

Be sure to try this, kender42.

kend...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2007, 9:20:31 PM8/19/07
On Aug 19, 1:57 pm, Alan Baxter <seemy...@invalid.com> wrote:

> Sailfish <REMOVECAPSsailf...@REMOVECAPSunforgettable.com> wrote:
> >Try renaming the following files in your profile, restarting, add an
> >extension, restart again and see if that works:
>
> >extensions.cache
> >extensions.ini
> >extensions.rdf
>
> I'm surprised no one suggested this earlier, Sailfish. It's one of the
> most common effective solutions to this problem. From the MozillaZine
> knowledge base:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_install_themes_or_extensions_-_Fi...

> Be sure to try this, kender42.

That worked, had a few problems reconnecting but I got it fixed, thank
you