firefox 1.5 crashes with yahoo mail

Andre

Mar 23, 2006, 4:01:53 PM3/23/06
my firefox on W2K crashes many times a day when yahoo mail is open.
It doesn't matter if I'm active in yahoo mail or in another firefox window.

I didn't see that odd behavior when yahoo mail is not currently in use.

Does anyone else suffer on these very annoying crashes?

Is any workaround known?

It's Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1

gwtc

Mar 23, 2006, 4:09:44 PM3/23/06
Andre wrote:

I use Yahoo mail all the time and never had that happen.

--
Time for another change

Andre

Mar 23, 2006, 5:14:03 PM3/23/06
this doesn't help me much ...

But ...
I managed it now to make it certainly happen again:

1 - read a yahoo email
2 - write a reply, do not send but
3 - save as a draft
4 - press the "return to last page" button of the browser
... crash (sometimes it crashes already in step 3)

The 5 extensions I use:
Talkback 1.5.0.1
Google Toolbar for Firefox 1.0.20051122
Forecastfox 0.8.2.5
Adblock v.5 d3 * nightly 42
Yahoo Toolbar 1.0.1.20050805

"gwtc" <TheNe...@n375c4p3.n37> wrote in message

gwtc

Mar 23, 2006, 6:36:53 PM3/23/06
Andre wrote:

please bottom post within these newsgroups. Thanks.

I don't know what you mean by #4 'press the "return to last page"
button of the browser'

I can't find a "return to last page" button.

Anyways, I cannot get FF to crash.

Andre

Mar 23, 2006, 7:08:57 PM3/23/06

"gwtc" <TheNe...@n375c4p3.n37> wrote in message

ok, ok - the button is called:

HeyItsMe

Mar 25, 2006, 1:46:01 AM3/25/06
It does this for me all the time. It crashes all the time with Yahoo
mail. I have not found the cause. I have not even figured out any common
trigger. I've had it crash completely with something as simple as
opening the DHTML menu and even loading an email message or the inbox.
It's really intermittent.

Kind Regards,
HeyItsMe

Dan

Mar 25, 2006, 8:58:58 AM3/25/06
Yes, it happens to me too. If you go to the forums, you'll see that it
is pretty common. If you run FF in safe mode, you probably won't have
the problem, so it's more than likely an extension causing the trouble.
NoScript and Adblock have been mentioned in these newsgroups as possible
culprits. Experiment by disabling your extensions and see what causes
it. I just use IE for Yahoo mail only and don't have to bother with it.

HeyItsMe

Mar 25, 2006, 11:11:07 AM3/25/06
Yah, you see I thought about AdBlock Plus and have disabled it before.
It still crashes.

Kind Regards,
HeyItsMe

Dan

Mar 25, 2006, 11:32:51 AM3/25/06
Did you try safe mode? Does it still crash?

HeyItsMe

Mar 25, 2006, 12:07:20 PM3/25/06
Yes. Randomly though as I said. It's intermittent.

Kind Regards,
HeyItsMe

Dan

Mar 25, 2006, 2:43:33 PM3/25/06
I couldn't get FF to crash in safe mode, but nearly always with NoScript
and Adblock Plus running. You might want to check out the Mozilla
forums; they may have some more uptodate info there.

Phil Randal

Mar 26, 2006, 12:23:44 PM3/26/06
Andre wrote:
> this doesn't help me much ...
>
> But ...
> I managed it now to make it certainly happen again:
>
> 1 - read a yahoo email
> 2 - write a reply, do not send but
> 3 - save as a draft
> 4 - press the "return to last page" button of the browser
> ... crash (sometimes it crashes already in step 3)
>
> The 5 extensions I use:
> Talkback 1.5.0.1
> Google Toolbar for Firefox 1.0.20051122
> Forecastfox 0.8.2.5
> Adblock v.5 d3 * nightly 42
> Yahoo Toolbar 1.0.1.20050805

I'd seriously suggest getting rid of Adblock and replacing it with
Adblock Plus and the Filterset.G updater

Phil

Wladimir Palant

Mar 26, 2006, 3:10:40 PM3/26/06
Phil Randal wrote:
> I'd seriously suggest getting rid of Adblock and replacing it with
> Adblock Plus and the Filterset.G updater

While I am all for getting rid of Adblock ;), the problem should be a
different one. Please read here:
http://p2.forumforfree.com/-vp4359-adblockplus.html#4359

Wladimir

Howard Brazee

Mar 27, 2006, 12:17:14 PM3/27/06
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:23:44 +0000, Phil Randal
<ph...@rebee.clara.co.uk> wrote:

>I'd seriously suggest getting rid of Adblock and replacing it with
>Adblock Plus and the Filterset.G updater

Why?

Andre

Mar 27, 2006, 4:28:14 PM3/27/06
Hi Phil,

thank you very much!!
I don't know if this may have solved the problem forever - but at least it
didn't crash ... yet.
Even my reproducible test case seems to run stable now.

Is there any serious problem known with the adblock?
Just curious.

Thanks again
Andre

"Phil Randal" <ph...@rebee.clara.co.uk> wrote in message

Phil Randal

Mar 27, 2006, 5:08:38 PM3/27/06
Andre wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> thank you very much!!
> I don't know if this may have solved the problem forever - but at least it
> didn't crash ... yet.
> Even my reproducible test case seems to run stable now.
>
> Is there any serious problem known with the adblock?
> Just curious.
>
> Thanks again
> Andre

The short answer is "yes", several of us had stability problems with it.

Phil

Wladimir Palant

Mar 27, 2006, 6:40:40 PM3/27/06
Andre wrote:
> thank you very much!!
> I don't know if this may have solved the problem forever - but at least it
> didn't crash ... yet.
> Even my reproducible test case seems to run stable now.

You really should read my post above...
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/msg/6eedee83a25fb121

> Is there any serious problem known with the adblock?
> Just curious.

Yes, lots of them. But this crash isn't Adblock's fault for a change.

Wladimir

V S Rawat

Mar 28, 2006, 1:12:05 PM3/28/06

I am having Adblock Plus 0.6.1.2 and Filterset.G updater 0.3.0.2

Still my yahoo crashes as soon as I click on yahoo inbox in FF.

I am not using yahoo mail because I have gmail. Thus, I don't know when
this problem started.

But, this crashing is peculiar. It should be resolved.

by any chance, could it be some bug caused by Yahoo Messenger 7.5.0.647
Beta that I have recently installed.

Wladimir Palant

Mar 28, 2006, 1:19:19 PM3/28/06
V S Rawat wrote:
> by any chance, could it be some bug caused by Yahoo Messenger 7.5.0.647
> Beta that I have recently installed.

Yes, this problem is related to Yahoo Messenger. And once again, you
really should read my post:
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/msg/6eedee83a25fb121

Ferzle

Apr 3, 2006, 1:23:46 PM4/3/06
I am having similar issues, but every place I visit mentions
this Adblock, and I don't have that. I have a brand new
computer, just installed FireFox 1.5.0.1, and the only
extension I have is the Google Toolbar. I have run the
same configuration on other computers with no problems.

My browser crashes every hour or so, but only when I am
on a Yahoo Mail Beta page--whether in its own browser, or
on a tab.

Any ideas? What more info is needed?

Melchert Fruitema

Apr 3, 2006, 5:21:36 PM4/3/06
On 03-04-2006 19:23 CET, Ferzle composed this enchanting statement:
You'll be fine. Don't bother with extensions like Adblock, use standard
popup blocking for the time being. Yahoo wants to use Javascript and
sometimes Java applets.

Verify your Javascript settings in the preferences for Content, via
Tools->Options:
- is Javascript enabled? If not, check it.
- click on Advanced... (same line on the right). Check all but 'Hide the
status bar', that works for me.

Which system are you running?

--
Kind regards,

Melchert

MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

Wladimir Palant

Apr 3, 2006, 10:54:26 PM4/3/06

This problem isn't Adblock's fault, it is caused by Yahoo Messenger. Do
you have it installed? If so - you should read
http://p2.forumforfree.com/-vp4359-adblockplus.html#4359

Wladimir

Ferzle

Apr 4, 2006, 2:10:54 PM4/4/06
To my knowledge, Yahoo Messenger is NOT installed.
It is certainly not installed as an extension to FireFox,
since the only extension I have is Google Toolbar.
When you say installed, do you mean as an extension?
There is some SBC-Yahoo toolbar installed in IE, but
not FireFox.

So, any other ideas?

gwtc

Apr 4, 2006, 5:17:08 PM4/4/06
Ferzle wrote:

not everyone is using googlegroups to post to these newsgroups. If
you continue to do so, could you change your habit of posting in the
mozilla.support.* newsgroups. When replying, please do not click on
the Reply To link at the bottom. Instead, click on the Show Options
link at the top, then click on the Reply link at the bottom. This
was, the entire message is preserved and you can trim where needed.
Thanks for your consideration into this matter.

Matt Nordhoff

Apr 5, 2006, 4:50:29 PM4/5/06
On 03/28/06 13:12, V S Rawat wrote:
> I am having Adblock Plus 0.6.1.2 and Filterset.G updater 0.3.0.2
>
> Still my yahoo crashes as soon as I click on yahoo inbox in FF.
>
> I am not using yahoo mail because I have gmail. Thus, I don't know when
> this problem started.
>
> But, this crashing is peculiar. It should be resolved.
>
> by any chance, could it be some bug caused by Yahoo Messenger 7.5.0.647
> Beta that I have recently installed.

Yes.

<http://p2.forumforfree.com/-vp4359-adblockplus.html#4359>
--
Matt Nordhoff
(aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

Matt Nordhoff

Apr 5, 2006, 4:52:48 PM4/5/06
On 04/05/06 16:50, Matt Nordhoff wrote:
> Yes.
>
> <http://p2.forumforfree.com/-vp4359-adblockplus.html#4359>

Ahh, heck. I just noticed that Wladimir responded with that exact link.
That's what I get for not reading the whole thread, and responding to a
post a few days old.

Matt Nordhoff

Apr 5, 2006, 4:54:51 PM4/5/06

Wladimir means the Yahoo! Messenger program, not any sort of extension.
If it had been installed, it could've left that plugin around, so click
the link he posted,
<http://p2.forumforfree.com/-vp4359-adblockplus.html#4359>.

Dan

Apr 5, 2006, 9:10:41 PM4/5/06
I deleted the file npyState.dll mentioned in the above link, and sure
enough, FF doesn't crash. But I can't get the curser to go to the
message window in "compose" mode. "To" and "subject" it will go to, but
not the message window. It will in safe mode though, so perhaps one of
the extensions is still causing some havoc here???

Andre

Apr 5, 2006, 10:13:24 PM4/5/06
"Dan" <dlsh...@GMail.com> wrote in message

I deleted this (sorry) damned file too and it doesn't crahs anymore! Even
after adding adblock as an extension - it doesn't crash!!
Many thanks to Wladimir!!!

I don't have the behavior you described with the cursor not going into the
message window.
Did you try it with the mouse only? What happens if you are using the tab
key going from "To" to "Subject" and then to the message window?

I'm using google toolbar, launchy, forecastfox and adblock (again). No
problem so far!

Andre

Dan

Apr 6, 2006, 10:31:25 AM4/6/06
Yes, I tried it with the mouse only, the tab, and anything else I could
think of. It just won't go to the message window in compose, forward or
reply mode. It does in safe mode though. I tried rebooting after
deleting the offending Yahoo dll file, but it still won't go to the
message window. I'm stumped and out of ideas.

At least safe mode works, so I've made a shortcut to Yahoo mail in safe
mode to get around this crashing and now message window problem.

Wladimir Palant

Apr 7, 2006, 10:16:53 AM4/7/06
Dan wrote:
> Yes, I tried it with the mouse only, the tab, and anything else I could
> think of. It just won't go to the message window in compose, forward or
> reply mode. It does in safe mode though. I tried rebooting after
> deleting the offending Yahoo dll file, but it still won't go to the
> message window. I'm stumped and out of ideas.

I would rather assume this is an entirely different problem that has
nothing to do with npYState.dll and (probably) Adblock. Could you try
disabling Adblock (whatever variant you are using) in the extension
manager and restarting the browser? If the problem is still there, it
is probably caused by some other extension.

Wladimir