"Readability" extension has the features of Safari 5 "Reader" button.

David McRitchie

Jun 11, 2010, 12:48:01 PM6/11/10
Quickly & Easily Add Safari's Reader Feature To Chrome & Firefox
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/quickly-easily-add-safaris-reader-feature-chrome-firefox/

Readability
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/46442/

"Reader" in Safari (5.0) added a simple toggle switch to the address bar, though it takes too
much space there, as a simple "R" would have sufficed. The button changes color when it
toggles the view (good). Safari 5 was released 2010-06-07 (Monday).
http://blogs.canoe.ca/canoetech/the-web-we-weave/safari-5-is-faster-than-firefox-chrome/

"Readability" extension in Firefox has an "R" on the status bar click to invoke, right-click to change
formatting styles / margins. Unfortunately buttons do not toggle. To return to normal view use the
Refresh looking button added to left-side of the webpage. I changed addons options Ctrl+Alt+R to
Ctrl+Alt+S (summary) because the default conflicted with "QuickRestart" extension, I also deactivated
autoscroll shortcut (probably useful for others). Keyboard shortcut has no advantage because it does
not toggle either. Optional toolbar button is same as on status bar but takes additional space for
unneeded drop-down arrow when right-click would do just fine.

Adds a Highlight Summary at top from phrases within article. Built-in Safari "Reader" lacks both a
Summary and formatting options.

If the buttons were removed from the left, it could have minimal margins more suitable for portable
devices and netbooks. Addition of the print and email to right click on button would make that possible.

--
HTH,

Sven Aluoor

Jun 15, 2010, 6:53:32 AM6/15/10
to Firefox user help
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 6:48 PM, David McRitchie <fire...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Quickly & Easily Add Safari's Reader Feature To Chrome & Firefox
> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/quickly-easily-add-safaris-reader-feature-chrome-firefox/
>
> Readability
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/46442/
>
> "Reader" in Safari (5.0) added a simple  toggle switch to the address bar,
> though it takes too much space there,  as a simple  "R" would have sufficed.
[...]

Hi folks

The Readability extension is a huge privacy issue. Readability calls
home to their own web service. Safaris Reader-mode is much more
privacy-friendly because the conversation to ebook-style site is done
locally.

I don't recommend installing the Readability extension!

cheers
Sven