Google Instant

Herb

Nov 25, 2010, 3:19:56 AM11/25/10
It keep deactivating Google Instant, but it keeps reactivating itself.

How can I deactivate it once and for all?

Thank you.

Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Fox on the run

Nov 25, 2010, 6:01:53 AM11/25/10

That is managed through a preference stored in a cookie. If you clear
your cookies regularly (i.e. on exit perhpas...) you'll lose this
preference. Or if you are setting this preference while in private
browsing I am pretty certain that it won't be retained.

JB

Fox on the run

Nov 25, 2010, 6:03:31 AM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 5:19 am, Herb <HE@UK> wrote:

I should also point out that because this preference is stored in a
local cookie, it won't be replicated across different Firefox
profiles, across different browsers, and across different computers of
course. In each case you'll have to set it and not delete the cookie
in question for that browser in order for it to be retained.

JB

Fox on the run

Nov 25, 2010, 6:05:24 AM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 5:19 am, Herb <HE@UK> wrote:

One last thing, a question on Google Instant came up a while back
where I explained which cookie and which value sets this. You can
read the thread at:
https://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/browse_thread/thread/bd1ee5c78e85cd66/e9e6d681360d17bb?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=google+instant

JB

David McRitchie

Nov 25, 2010, 8:14:57 AM11/25/10
"Herb" wrote...
> It [ I (not It) ] keep deactivating Google Instant, but it keeps reactivating itself.
> How can I deactivate it once and for all? // Herbert Eppel

Google Instant reduces the number of hits you get from Google to 10,
so of course it is Google Instant you want to get rid of. It can be disabled
in "Settings" on a Google web search results page for each google login
id and without..

I have had to disable both "Optimize Google" (0.78.2) and "Google Enhancer" (1.81)
probably in order to get away from problems with Google Instant reactivating.
(It is also tricky to get the two extension not to duplicate icons via their options)
Hammering away reinvoking each link in search results took forever.

I tried reactivating "Optimize Google" extension and it interferes too much with
"McAfee Site Advisor" extension by causing checking and serious blinking on
off of web safefy icons from Site Advisor, so disabled Optimize Google once more.

Reactivated "Google Enhancer" and Google's robot keeps telling me I look like
a robot and have to enter a captcha, so will probably disable Google Enhancer
once more if that happens again with regularity.

Had to turn of Google Enhancer anyway as it interferes with added search result line
numbering so is confusing, and continuing at end of page does not work properly.

--
HTH,

Ed Mullen

Nov 25, 2010, 10:22:30 AM11/25/10

It has happened to me as well. I went to Google, set my preferences
(allowing cookies) to Instant Off. At some point after a browser
restart Instant is back on. No, I don't ever clear my Google cookies.

http://www.google.com/search?query=google instant keeps turning on&num=50

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

lorraine smith

Nov 25, 2010, 10:51:56 AM11/25/10
to Firefox help community
please stop sending these emails. ive had 15 of them today

thank you

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Nov 25, 2010, 10:58:51 AM11/25/10
You are subscribed to the mailing list. It tells you right in the
messages how to UNsubscribe.

lorraine smith wrote:

> please stop sending these emails. ive had 15 of them today
>
> thank you

-bts

David Pyles

Nov 25, 2010, 11:03:26 AM11/25/10
lorraine smith wrote:
> please stop sending these emails. ive had 15 of them today
Click this link to unsubscribe from the mailing list:

Dave Pyles

Fox on the run

Nov 25, 2010, 11:34:02 AM11/25/10
On Nov 25, 12:22 pm, Ed Mullen <edNOS...@edmullen.net> wrote:
> Fox on the run wrote:
>
> > On Nov 25, 5:19 am, Herb<HE@UK>  wrote:
> >> It keep deactivating Google Instant, but it keeps reactivating itself.
>
> >> How can I deactivate it once and for all?
>
> >> Thank you.
>
> >> Herbert Eppelwww.HETranslation.co.uk
>
> > That is managed through a preference stored in a cookie.  If you clear
> > your cookies regularly (i.e. on exit perhpas...) you'll lose this
> > preference.  Or if you are setting this preference while in private
> > browsing I am pretty certain that it won't be retained.
>
> It has happened to me as well.  I went to Google, set my preferences
> (allowing cookies) to Instant Off.  At some point after a browser
> restart Instant is back on.  No, I don't ever clear my Google cookies.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?query=googleinstant keeps turning on&num=50
>
> --
> Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.net/

> Real programmers don't comment their code.  It was damned hard to write
> in the first place, and it should be damned hard to understand!

Are you sure you don't have your privacy settings to clear on exit?
Or if someone else is using your browser maybe they set it? Because I
have not had any issue with it remembering my settings (granted I
normally leave it on). Do you have some privacy add-on that might be
clearing the cookies? Because other than the cookie expiring or being
cleared, it should remember the preference no problem.

JB

Ed Mullen

Nov 25, 2010, 12:47:16 PM11/25/10
Fox on the run wrote:
> On Nov 25, 12:22 pm, Ed Mullen<edNOS...@edmullen.net> wrote:
>> Fox on the run wrote:

>>> That is managed through a preference stored in a cookie. If you clear
>>> your cookies regularly (i.e. on exit perhpas...) you'll lose this
>>> preference. Or if you are setting this preference while in private
>>> browsing I am pretty certain that it won't be retained.
>>
>> It has happened to me as well. I went to Google, set my preferences
>> (allowing cookies) to Instant Off. At some point after a browser
>> restart Instant is back on. No, I don't ever clear my Google cookies.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?query=googleinstant keeps turning on&num=50
>>
>> --
>> Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.net/
>> Real programmers don't comment their code. It was damned hard to write
>> in the first place, and it should be damned hard to understand!
>
> Are you sure you don't have your privacy settings to clear on exit?

Positive.

> Or if someone else is using your browser maybe they set it?

No one else uses this machine.

> Because I
> have not had any issue with it remembering my settings (granted I
> normally leave it on). Do you have some privacy add-on that might be
> clearing the cookies?

The only such app is Ccleaner but I do not have Firefox/SeaMonkey
selected. And since I never lose my cookies, that's not the problem.

> Because other than the cookie expiring or being
> cleared, it should remember the preference no problem.
>
> JB

Yeah, /should/ be working that way but it wasn't. It's ok now after I
reset it about ten times. Oddly, Safe Search was also resetting. No
idea why any of this was happening but a lot of people are/were
experiencing it.

"If it's a hobby to us and a job to you, why are you doing such a shoddy
job?" - Linus Torvalds to Microsoft

gatocl.maipu

Nov 25, 2010, 2:11:04 PM11/25/10
You will try to use OptimizeGoogle and uncheck preferences/query
suggestions.
OptimizeGoogle is my favorite tools to tweak google services and dont
require login in google to work.

Roger Fink

Nov 25, 2010, 8:51:41 PM11/25/10

If you have it installed, try disabling the Advertising Cookie Opt-out
extension. Worked for me.

Fox on the run

Nov 26, 2010, 7:17:40 AM11/26/10

Interesting. That would suggest that "Advertising Cookie Opt-out"
extension is treating all Google cookies as advertising cookies. Yet
Google search preferences would not fall under that category. So
either that add-on is too broad in its filtering of cookies by black
listing an entire domain, or it is not possible for the add-on to
differentiate between an advertising cookie vs a preference cookie
coming from a given domain.

JB

Roger Fink

Nov 26, 2010, 3:28:19 PM11/26/10
Fox on the run wrote:

I use Cookie Monster to save/protect certain cookies, including the usual
Google search preferences: filter, number of results per page, and so forth
(and periodically delete the rest). When Advertising Cookie Opt Out was
running, the protected cookies weren't deleted, but they were put into the
category of "protected but not found", similar to cookies that had been
protected but had then expired on their own. Additionally, my strong
impression is that this also affected protected cookies on other sites, such
as the NYT and the weather site I use. So if I've described the cause and
effect accurately (and I'm not fully certain of that) , this add-on would
appear to be worse than useless.

Herb

Nov 30, 2010, 5:22:57 AM11/30/10
On 25.11.2010 08:19 UK Time, Herb wrote:
> It keep deactivating Google Instant, but it keeps reactivating itself.
>
> How can I deactivate it once and for all?

Thank you for all the replies.

I'm a little puzzled by the plethora of comments and suggestions.

Could someone provide an 'idiot's guide' for rectifying the situation in
my FF profile?

David McRitchie

Nov 30, 2010, 7:55:00 AM11/30/10
"Herb" <HE@UK> wrote in message news:m5OdnTwoepscTWnR...@mozilla.org...

> On 25.11.2010 08:19 UK Time, Herb wrote:
>> It keep deactivating Google Instant, but it keeps reactivating itself.
>> How can I deactivate it once and for all?
>
> I'm a little puzzled by the plethora of comments and suggestions.
>
> Could someone provide an 'idiot's guide' for rectifying the situation in
> my FF profile?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Herbert Eppel
> www.HETranslation.co.uk

If you have GMail you must sign into Google to use it that constitutes
separate settings than if you are not signed into Google.

The recent thing you see from Google is the limitation to 10 of the
number of hits per page with "Google Instant" which is hard to turn
off because it applies separately to each Google userid and not signed
in to Google. Google Instant requires Chrome v5/6, Firefox v3,
Safari v5 for Mac or Internet Explorer v8.
http://www.google.com/instant/

Cookies: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Cookies
Most people save cookies and will not have a problem with this, if
you don't save you will have to at least save cookies for google.com
as an exception. Also make sure that you are not clearing your cookies
when closing Firefox. My own settings in 3.6.* and 4.0 can be seen in
http://img338.imageshack.us/i/clearcache.png/

Google:
At the top of the Google search webpage is "settings" which brings
up the page http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=en
or for google.co.uk http://www.google.co.uk/preferences?hl=en
(if you have cookies turned you will get an error message at top
and you will not be able to save preferences when finishing)

and within that the radio button choices (one or the other must be selected).
(_) Use Google Instant - predictions and results appear while typing
(X) Do not use Google Instant
Just as bad as slowing you down it limits the hits per page to 10 even
though you may ask for more in these preference settings. At the bottom
of the page on the right side is a button "Save Preferences".

Those predictions are made by the search engine (Google, Yahoo, and others)
and usually start once the 3rd character is typed. Google will return
predictions based on the search patterns of others and of yourself what
you would probably type next based on each character typed.

Another potential problem is Search suggestions, right-click in the
Firefox search box and turn off "search suggestions" so it is unchecked.

See these Google pages:

Autocomplete : Features - Web Search Help
http://www.google.com/support/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=10...

Google Instant
http://www.google.com/instant/

Search history Overview : Using Search - Google Mobile Help
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=163060

If you have extensions such as "Customize Google" (obsolete),
"Google Enhancer", "Google Optimizer",
"Optimize Google" the resulting list of hits will be modified by the
extension(s) which can change options and the listing itself.

Within "Organize Google" extension:
options to turn off Google instant, make sure it is off

I am currently having difficulties with both
"Optimize Google" and "Google Enhancer" and have disabled both,
since they may be causing repainting of search results in combination
with "McAfee Site Advisor" extension as each search link gets tested.

If you have Free AVG (antivirus) make sure that you do not have
Link Scanner Component ("AVG Safe Search" would appear as an extension)

and also do not have the "Identity Protection" feature of AVG active,
which pins CPU usage at 100% for a long time and will affect Firefox
by repainting usage.

David McRitchie

Nov 30, 2010, 8:23:43 AM11/30/10
Though "Organize Google" or "Customize Google" before that is
one of my favorites, I can't use it myself due to incessant refreshing
on each hit, but should have included the follow for those who can use it:

Within "Organize Google" extension:
options to turn off Google instant, make sure it is off

web -- (uncheck) Use Google Suggest (suggest words while you're typing)
preferences -- (uncheck) Query Suggestions

Herb

Oct 12, 2011, 6:22:09 AM10/12/11
On 25.11.2010 08:19 UK Time, Herb wrote:
> It keep deactivating Google Instant, but it keeps reactivating itself.
>
> How can I deactivate it once and for all?
>
> Thank you.

We discussed this at some length almost a year ago, but unfortunately I
still haven't managed to permanently disable the pesky Google Instant.

I think/hope I followed all the recommendations given at the time, but
perhaps I missed something crucial?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

MrGatoChile

Oct 12, 2011, 4:40:53 PM10/12/11
Install GoogleEnhancer,
http://netticat.ath.cx/GoogleEnhancer/GoogleEnhancer.htm
add this to userContent.css inside of the chrome directory inside of the
profile of firefox(if not exist make a
%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profilename\chrome, in WindowsXP)

div#leftnav { display: none !important; }
#center_col { margin-left: 0px !important; }
#center_col { margin-right: 0px !important; }
@-moz-document url-prefix(http://google.), url-prefix(http://www.google.) {
div#vsrs, .vsi, div#vsia, div#vsic, div#vsm, div#vspb, div#vspc,
div#vspci, .vspib, .vspi {display: none !important;}
}

Herb

Oct 13, 2011, 2:26:34 AM10/13/11

Thanks, I did all that i.e. installed GoogleEnhancer, ticked all the
"Remove Google annoyances" options and added the lines you provided to
userContent.css (although I don't really see how they relate to Google
Instant), but guess what?

The "Use Google Instant" option is still ticked in my preferences at
<http://www.google.co.uk/preferences?hl=en>!

Any other suggestions?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Herb

Oct 14, 2011, 6:06:12 AM10/14/11

I just realised that, despited the fact that the "Use Google Instant"
option is still ticked in my preferences, GoogleEnhancer together with
the userContent.css entries you provided seems to override the Google
Instant setting - in other words, my Google searches now work as I want
them to work, and I'm happy 8-)

Thank you!

--
Herbert Eppel