Cannot move bookmarks to Folder

Jag Chan

Oct 14, 2006, 11:14:41 PM10/14/06
I am using Firefox 1.5.0.7.
Previously I could move bookmarks pertaining to similar topics to a common
folder.
But with the current version I cannot do it.
Am I missing something?
Any suggestion will be of great help to me.
Thanks.

Nir

Oct 15, 2006, 2:18:50 AM10/15/06

check one thing :
Goto any web page , bookmark that page .
Restart Firefox and check whether Firefox really can remember that saved
bookmark or not.

Jag Chan

Oct 15, 2006, 2:50:17 AM10/15/06
Nir <nir...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Yes it can remember the saved bookmark.
My problem is in arranging similar book marks together in a folder.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Nir

Oct 15, 2006, 3:37:42 AM10/15/06
Goto Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks.
Look for the bookmark entry in Right Bookmark list pane.
Drag that bookmark and drop it on the destination folder.

squaredancer

Oct 15, 2006, 7:33:42 AM10/15/06
On 15.10.2006 05:14, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jag Chan to
generate the following:? :

Main menu:

Bookmarks>>Manage Bookmarks>>View

tick the button "Unsorted"

reg

squaredancer

Oct 15, 2006, 7:34:47 AM10/15/06
On 15.10.2006 09:37, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Nir to
generate the following:? :

>Jag Chan wrote:

The OP said that he *CANNOT* move the BM !!

reg

Jag Chan

Oct 15, 2006, 10:18:44 PM10/15/06
Nir <nir...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Jag Chan wrote:
>> Nir <nir...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Goto Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks.

> Look for the bookmark entry in Right Bookmark list pane.
> Drag that bookmark and drop it on the destination folder.

Hi Nir,
Thanks.
You have solved my problem albeit partially.
Don't take offence, but did you try what you wrote?
I am asking this because I still could not drag and drop as I could do
previously.
But thanks for your suggestion to go toBookmarks > Manage Bookmarks.
Because a new window opens up and even if I cannot drag and drop (at
least in mine), I can move after highlighting the Bookmark >clicking move
button in Menu > move the Bookmark in new small window that opens up.
I still feel they should have kept the old drag and drop function as it
was easier.
Is Firefox going windows way in making it more fancier?
Regards & Thanks again.

Leonidas Jones

Oct 16, 2006, 12:00:00 AM10/16/06
Jag Chan wrote:
> Nir <nir...@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Jag Chan wrote:
>>> Nir <nir...@hotmail.com> wrote in

/snip/

> Hi Nir,
> Thanks.
> You have solved my problem albeit partially.
> Don't take offence, but did you try what you wrote?
> I am asking this because I still could not drag and drop as I could do
> previously.
> But thanks for your suggestion to go toBookmarks > Manage Bookmarks.
> Because a new window opens up and even if I cannot drag and drop (at
> least in mine), I can move after highlighting the Bookmark >clicking move
> button in Menu > move the Bookmark in new small window that opens up.
> I still feel they should have kept the old drag and drop function as it
> was easier.
> Is Firefox going windows way in making it more fancier?
> Regards & Thanks again.

Drag and drop in the Bookmarks Manager does work from here. Try doing so
in safe mode.

Lee

The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

Nir

Oct 16, 2006, 3:11:17 AM10/16/06

Drag-n-Drop works fine here . Try to move bookmarks in safe mode as Lee
suggested.
To start Firefox in safe mode : start > Programs > Firefox[safe mode]

Jag Chan

Oct 16, 2006, 7:23:34 AM10/16/06
Nir <nir...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Drag-n-Drop works fine here . Try to move bookmarks in safe mode as
> Lee suggested.
> To start Firefox in safe mode : start > Programs > Firefox[safe mode]

Nir,
Please help me.
Did as per your suggestion.
Ticked reset bookmarks to Firefox defaults.
Now I have lost all bookmarks.
Please help me recover them.
Regards.

Leonidas Jones

Oct 16, 2006, 7:33:57 AM10/16/06

That wasn't exactly what Nir suggested, he just meant to start in Safe
Mode and test drag and drop.

Fortunately, Firefox backs up your bookmarks. Find your profile folder:

WinXP, 2K:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Win ME, 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

There should be a folder called BookmarkBackups. Inside should be a
copy of your bookmarks for the last week. Find one that has the
bookmarks you want to restore, rename it to bookmarks.html, anc
copy/paste it into the profile folder, overwriting the default set.

Jag Chan

Oct 16, 2006, 11:58:25 AM10/16/06
Leonidas Jones <Leonid...@netscape.net> wrote in

> Jag Chan wrote:
>> Nir <nir...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Nir,
>> Please help me.

That wasn't exactly what Nir suggested, he just meant to start in Safe
> Mode and test drag and drop.
>
> Fortunately, Firefox backs up your bookmarks. Find your profile
folder:

> WinXP, 2K:
> C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
>
> Win ME, 98:
> C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
>
> There should be a folder called BookmarkBackups. Inside should be a
> copy of your bookmarks for the last week. Find one that has the
> bookmarks you want to restore, rename it to bookmarks.html, anc
> copy/paste it into the profile folder, overwriting the default set.
>
> Lee

Thanks for the suggestion.

Leonidas Jones

Oct 16, 2006, 12:38:40 PM10/16/06
Jag Chan wrote:
> Leonidas Jones <Leonid...@netscape.net> wrote in
>
>> Jag Chan wrote:
>>> Nir <nir...@hotmail.com> wrote in
/snip/

> That wasn't exactly what Nir suggested, he just meant to start in Safe
>> Mode and test drag and drop.
>>
>> Fortunately, Firefox backs up your bookmarks. Find your profile
> folder:
>> WinXP, 2K:
>> C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application
>> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
>>
>> Win ME, 98:
>> C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
>>
>> There should be a folder called BookmarkBackups. Inside should be a
>> copy of your bookmarks for the last week. Find one that has the
>> bookmarks you want to restore, rename it to bookmarks.html, anc
>> copy/paste it into the profile folder, overwriting the default set.
>>
>> Lee
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.

Let us know if you were able to restore your bookmarks.

Jag Chan

Oct 16, 2006, 9:43:56 PM10/16/06

> Jag Chan wrote:
>> Leonidas Jones <Leonid...@netscape.net> wrote in

> /snip/
>> That wasn't exactly what Nir suggested, he just meant to start in Safe
>>> Mode and test drag and drop.
>>>
>>> Fortunately, Firefox backs up your bookmarks. Find your profile
>> folder:
>>> WinXP, 2K:
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application
>>> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
>>>
>>> Win ME, 98:
>>> C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
>>>
>>> There should be a folder called BookmarkBackups. Inside should be a
>>> copy of your bookmarks for the last week. Find one that has the
>>> bookmarks you want to restore, rename it to bookmarks.html, anc
>>> copy/paste it into the profile folder, overwriting the default set.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>

> Let us know if you were able to restore your bookmarks.
>
> Lee

Not exactly the way you suggested.
Actually I could not follow it up.
What I did was - went to bookmark and highlighted the whole thing for
copying.
Then in FF -> bookmark > manage bookmark >.move and then moved the whole
thing to new bookmark folder.
It worked.
Thanks.