Troublesome comma

Herb

Jul 23, 2009, 9:24:59 AM7/23/09
How come the comma after the URL I provided in my comment at
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2009/jul/22/george-monbiot-wind-power?showallcomments=true>
(search for my surname) is included in the link when one clicks on it,
leading to a broken link error?

In any case, I am somewhat disappointed that all FF has to say on the
matter is "The requested URL /, was not found on this server" (likewise
IE8), whereas Google Chrome helpfully suggests the correct URL as an
alternative.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Jay Garcia

Jul 23, 2009, 10:22:06 AM7/23/09
On 23.07.2009 08:24, Herb wrote:

I don't see a comma at the end of your URL after scrolling endlessly to
find it. !!!

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org

Herb

Jul 23, 2009, 10:39:43 AM7/23/09
On 23.07.2009 15:22 UK Time, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 23.07.2009 08:24, Herb wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure why endless scrolling was required - did you see my "search
for my surname" hint? O:-)

The link I'm referring to is "<http://prowa.org.uk/,>" - I should have
made this clear in my original message, sorry.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

clay

Jul 23, 2009, 10:50:53 AM7/23/09
Herb wrote:
> On 23.07.2009 15:22 UK Time, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 23.07.2009 08:24, Herb wrote:

I did. And, I did.
Don't see any url's in your blog, only links.

> The link I'm referring to is "<http://prowa.org.uk/,>" - I should have
> made this clear in my original message, sorry.

Don't see this url on your blog.

...maybe a copy and paste of the paragraph in question.

Andrew DeFaria

Jul 23, 2009, 10:59:58 AM7/23/09
On 23.07.2009 08:24, Herb wrote:

How come the comma after the URL I provided in my comment at <http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2009/jul/22/george-monbiot-wind-power?showallcomments=true> (search for my surname) is included in the link when one clicks on it, leading to a broken link error?

In any case, I am somewhat disappointed that all FF has to say on the matter is "The requested URL /, was not found on this server" (likewise IE8), whereas Google Chrome helpfully suggests the correct URL as an alternative.
It says, effectively, "This didn't work". Do you really need to be told to try something else?

I don't see a comma at the end of your URL after scrolling endlessly to find it. !!!
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure why endless scrolling was required - did you see my "search for my surname" hint? O:-)

The link I'm referring to is "<http://prowa.org.uk/,>" - I should have made this clear in my original message, sorry.
This is a perfect example why using HTML and making real links using a href is superior to typing URLs and hoping that some hueristic software will guess it properly. Commas, like periods, for example, are acceptable characters in URLs and could hold significance. For example, http://prowa.org.uk/some/path/and/a/file. - how does the plain text guesser know that the "." is not part of the filename? Well one could say that "well files don't end it dot" and that may be true for Windows and but it's not true on Unix. "file." is an acceptable filename, as is "file," - not that I know anybody that uses such filenames.

When I can, I use HTML. When I have to use wiki like syntax on a forum or comment blog I look at the syntax and try to use the equivalent (e.g. [url=http://prowa.org.uk/]this link[/url]). Lacking that, if typing a URL and knowing that it ends in a "," or "." I type a space before it.
--
Andrew DeFaria
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Pete Holsberg

Jul 23, 2009, 11:31:32 AM7/23/09
to Firefox user help
Herb wrote:

<snip>

> The link I'm referring to is "<http://prowa.org.uk/,>"

The comma is enclosed between the angle brackets! If you do not want it
to be considered part of the URL, do this

<http://prowa.org.uk>,

Jay Garcia

Jul 23, 2009, 3:40:13 PM7/23/09

Jul 23, 2009, 7:45:15 PM7/23/09

Jul 23, 2009, 8:04:33 PM7/23/09
to Firefox user help

That's one reason I don't put commas in < > If the comma had not been added,
it wouldn't have offended. ;-)

Pete Holsberg

Jul 23, 2009, 8:06:21 PM7/23/09
to Firefox user help
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 23.07.2009 17:09, squaredancer wrote:
>> actually, Jay... the reason that URLs are put in angle brackets (by us
>> here) is to prevent TB from performing a linebreak at 72 (or whatever)
>> characters/line... the <....> keeps the URL in one piece (at least,
>> that's the theory).
>> But true - if Herb had done that, the link would still have been bummed,
>> due to the comma not being separated.
>>
>> anyways - (hope - and in hope we live) Herb has learnt this lesson
>>
>> reg
>>

> I know what it's used for, I don't. And I never add a url anywhere close
> to a line break, usually on a line by itself.

Suppose you have a URL that is 142 characters long??? Some email editors
will add a newline after just so many characters.

Tarkus

Jul 23, 2009, 8:23:45 PM7/23/09
squaredancer wrote:
> actually, Jay... the reason that URLs are put in angle brackets (by us
> here) is to prevent TB from performing a linebreak at 72 (or whatever)
> characters/line... the <....> keeps the URL in one piece (at least,
> that's the theory).

TB may wrap the link, but it does not insert a linebreak. The URL
remains in one piece. I've posted many, many links longer than one
line, so I know this from experience.

Now, the receiving software may break the link, but that's their problem
for using a crappy client.

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Jul 24, 2009, 8:06:05 AM7/24/09

Jul 24, 2009, 9:59:24 AM7/24/09
On Jul 24, 7:06 am, Jay Garcia <J...@JayNOSPAMGarcia.com> wrote:
> That's the very reason I use tinyurl. And when I use tinyurl, my
> recipient's have no problem with it.

Ouch! You may know when to avoid misuse of commas and periods, but
apparently you still have a problem with using apostrophe's for
plural's. <g>

Ron Hunter

Jul 24, 2009, 10:15:40 AM7/24/09
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 23.07.2009 19:06, Pete Holsberg wrote:

Many people are understandably reluctant to use a URL from Tinyurl
because they are afraid it will send them someplace they don't want to
go. For those people there is an extension that fetches, and displays
the full URL so that you can make up your mind.

Andrew DeFaria

Jul 24, 2009, 10:25:48 AM7/24/09
Jay Garcia wrote:
I know what it's used for, I don't. And I never add a url anywhere close to a line break, usually on a line by itself.
Suppose you have a URL that is 142 characters long??? Some email editors will add a newline after just so many characters.
That's the very reason I use tinyurl. And when I use tinyurl, my recipient's have no problem with it.
And that's one of the reasons I use HTML!
--
Andrew DeFaria
Please, God, deliver us from your followers!

Andrew DeFaria

Jul 24, 2009, 10:35:14 AM7/24/09
Indeed! It was my understanding that the possessives had the apostrophes and the plurals generally did not - see Plural and Possessive. There are exceptions and I struggle with this all the time myself.
--
Andrew DeFaria
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Tarkus

Jul 24, 2009, 12:26:43 PM7/24/09

An extra step, completely unnecessary for modern clients (including such
"modern" clients as 40tude Dialog, and, of course, Thunderbird).

Message has been deleted

»Q«

Jul 23, 2009, 9:20:26 PM7/23/09
In <news:Rc-dndxnc_Ux-fXX...@mozilla.org>,
Herb <HE@UK> wrote:

I see the thread's been hijacked to talk about the comma itself.

When a URL isn't found on a server, the server responds with an html
page, and that's what Firefox is displaying. In this case, that server
isn't giving a very useful one, but some 'not found' pages are very
useful, with hints or search boxes for the site. If Chrome isn't
displaying the error page the server sends, I'd consider Chrome
broken; OTOH, if Chrome's helpful suggestion is in addition to
displaying the server's error page, that sounds like a good idea.

--
»Q« /"\
ASCII Ribbon Campaign \ /

Sjouke Burry

Jul 24, 2009, 8:28:21 PM7/24/09
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 23.07.2009 19:06, Pete Holsberg wrote:

Well, I hate tinyurls,and in the few cases I re-tried, ended up
on a blogside.
I never click on a blogside, when I can avoid it.
At least give people a choice, and paste in both links.
Message has been deleted

Pete Holsberg

Jul 25, 2009, 3:22:22 PM7/25/09
to Firefox user help
Sjouke Burry wrote:
> Well, I hate tinyurls,and in the few cases I re-tried, ended up
> on a blogside.

What is a "blogside"?

»Q«

Jul 25, 2009, 7:53:50 PM7/25/09
In <news:MOWdnao9rbD6X_fX...@mozilla.org>,
squaredancer <square...@t-online.de> wrote:

> ummm - yessss - but if you actually take the time out to READ the OP
> - and in it, the VERY FIRST LINE - you just MAY (if you are
> attentive enough) see this:

No need to shout.

> but of course - as you are probably still using your antiquated
> Newsreader.....

This had to do with a comma in a link on the web, nothing to do with
newsreaders. As for "antiquated", I'm using a much newer newsreader
than you are, and I wonder how long you can keep that chip on your
shoulder about it. I've set the followup to m.general in case you need
to go on some more about it.

> <<snipped previously discussed theories>>

Not only did I not post any "theories", I didn't post anything that had
already been discussed in the thread.

Andrew DeFaria

Jul 25, 2009, 8:16:57 PM7/25/09
It's a curious disease where you end up agreeing with a bloggers perspective! It's very nasty to get rid of! ;-)
--
Andrew DeFaria
Young at heart. Slightly older in other places.

Jay Garcia

Jul 25, 2009, 11:49:45 PM7/25/09

On 23.07.2009 14:24 UK Time, Herb wrote:
> How come the comma after the URL I provided in my comment at
> <http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2009/jul/22/george-monbiot-wind-power?showallcomments=true>
> (search for my surname) is included in the link when one clicks on it,
> leading to a broken link error?
>
> In any case, I am somewhat disappointed that all FF has to say on the
> matter is "The requested URL /, was not found on this server" (likewise
> IE8), whereas Google Chrome helpfully suggests the correct URL as an
> alternative.

Thank you for all the comments (pertinent and 'tangential').

Just a few points of clarification - apologies if my original message
wasn't entirely clear.

I'm well aware of the purpose/effect of the angle brackets, and I'm
therefore aware that the <http://prowa.org.uk/,> notation I used
therefore causes the comma to be included in the link when one clicks on it.

I merely posted <http://prowa.org.uk/,> here to illustrate the issue I
was referring to in my original message in relation to my comment at
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2009/jul/22/george-monbiot-wind-power?showallcomments=true>.

The problem is that the square brackets are probably distracting at best
in online forums (that 'activate' links - even long ones -
automatically) or may not even work (i.e. links inside square brackets
may not be recognised), so the best option is probably to try and avoid
the use of potentially troublesome punctuation even if it is
grammatically correct or indeed required, or to introduce a space before
the punctuation mark.

Nevertheless, I'll say again that I am somewhat disappointed that all FF
has to say if it encounters a link with a comma at the end is "The

requested URL /, was not found on this server" (likewise IE8), whereas
Google Chrome helpfully suggests the correct URL as an alternative.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Pete Holsberg

Jul 28, 2009, 11:29:35 AM7/28/09
to Firefox user help
Herb wrote:

There <> are angle brackets. These [] are square brackets.

> Nevertheless, I'll say again that I am somewhat disappointed that all FF
> has to say if it encounters a link with a comma at the end is "The
> requested URL /, was not found on this server" (likewise IE8), whereas
> Google Chrome helpfully suggests the correct URL as an alternative.

I just pasted http://prowa.org.uk/, into Google chrome and did NOT get a
suggestion!! However, pasting <http://prowa.org.uk/,> into Chrome
triggers Google's search engine!!

When I do the latter in FF, openDNS makes a suggestion.

Opera offers to do a Google search as soon as that illegal string is pasted.

Herb

Jul 28, 2009, 5:00:20 PM7/28/09
On 28.07.2009 16:29 UK Time, Pete Holsberg wrote:

>> I merely posted <http://prowa.org.uk/,> here to illustrate the issue I
>> was referring to in my original message in relation to my comment at
>> <http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2009/jul/22/george-monbiot-wind-power?showallcomments=true>.
>>

>> The problem is that the square brackets are probably distracting at
>> best in online forums (that 'activate' links - even long ones -
>> automatically) or may not even work (i.e. links inside square brackets
>> may not be recognised), so the best option is probably to try and
>> avoid the use of potentially troublesome punctuation even if it is
>> grammatically correct or indeed required, or to introduce a space
>> before the punctuation mark.
>
> There <> are angle brackets. These [] are square brackets.

Yes, sorry about the confusion.

>> Nevertheless, I'll say again that I am somewhat disappointed that all
>> FF has to say if it encounters a link with a comma at the end is "The
>> requested URL /, was not found on this server" (likewise IE8), whereas
>> Google Chrome helpfully suggests the correct URL as an alternative.
>
> I just pasted http://prowa.org.uk/, into Google chrome and did NOT get a
> suggestion!! However, pasting <http://prowa.org.uk/,> into Chrome
> triggers Google's search engine!!

I just pasted http://prowa.org.uk/, into Google Chrome and I get this:

Oops! This link appears to be broken.
Suggestions:
Go to www.prova.org
Go to www.prowa.co. uk
Go to prowa.org.uk

Not bad, and in any case better than FF's unhelpful message:

Not Found
The requested URL /, was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5
mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server
at prowa.org.uk Port 80

I just realised that the FF message even contains the correct server
name, so why can't it make the link active?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk

Pete Holsberg

Jul 28, 2009, 5:51:10 PM7/28/09
to Firefox user help
Herb wrote:

> I just pasted http://prowa.org.uk/, into Google Chrome and I get this:

> Oops! This link appears to be broken.
> Suggestions:
> Go to www.prova.org
> Go to www.prowa.co. uk
> Go to prowa.org.uk
>
> Not bad, and in any case better than FF's unhelpful message:

> Not Found
> The requested URL /, was not found on this server.
> Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
> an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
> Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5
> mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server
> at prowa.org.uk Port 80

I pasted
http://prowa.org.uk/,
into Google Chrome and got this:

Not Found

The requested URL /, was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5
mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server
at prowa.org.uk Port 80

???

Pete Holsberg

Jul 28, 2009, 5:52:32 PM7/28/09
to Firefox user help
Pete Holsberg wrote:

> Herb wrote:
>
>> I just pasted http://prowa.org.uk/, into Google Chrome and I get this:
>>
>> ***************************************************
>> Oops! This link appears to be broken.
>> Suggestions:
>> Go to www.prova.org
>> Go to www.prowa.co. uk
>> Go to prowa.org.uk
>> ***************************************************
>>
>> Not bad, and in any case better than FF's unhelpful message:
>>
>> ***************************************************
>> Not Found
>> The requested URL /, was not found on this server.
>> Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
>> an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>> Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5
>> mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server
>> at prowa.org.uk Port 80
>> ***************************************************
>

> I pasted
> http://prowa.org.uk/,
> into Google Chrome and got this:

> Not Found
>
> The requested URL /, was not found on this server.
>
> Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use
> an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>
> Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5
> mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server
> at prowa.org.uk Port 80

I had suggestions turned off.

David Pyles

Jul 28, 2009, 6:02:59 PM7/28/09
I would be quite upset if Firefox did a Google search every time I
mistyped a URL.

Dave Pyles

Jay Garcia

Jul 28, 2009, 6:23:18 PM7/28/09

Jul 28, 2009, 6:24:46 PM7/28/09

Jul 28, 2009, 7:02:35 PM7/28/09
If I enter an incorrect URL, I want it to tell me it couldn't find that
site, NOT suggest 100 sites similar to it, after referring me to another
place, losing all my laborious URL entering. REALLY ticks me OFF.

Jay Garcia

Jul 29, 2009, 8:53:07 AM7/29/09

Jul 29, 2009, 9:20:56 AM7/29/09
That depends on your ISP. Mine (Charter Pipeline) captures the error,
and presents me with a long list of what IT thinks I meant, and, in the
process, destroys whatever I typed. INFURIATING!

Jay Garcia

Jul 29, 2009, 9:30:49 AM7/29/09

Jul 29, 2009, 10:30:23 AM7/29/09
Ron Hunter wrote:
That depends on your ISP.  Mine (Charter Pipeline) captures the error, and presents me with a long list of what IT thinks I meant, and, in the process, destroys whatever I typed.  INFURIATING!
How would your ISP get involved in the web transaction at all? Don't tell me you must use a web proxy with Charter Pipeline!!! I would drop, like a hot potato, any ISP that forced me to use a proxy. WRT to an ISP I want only a fast pipe (and a star to guide her by! <- a joke), DNS and NNTP. The rest I'll do myself.
--
Andrew DeFaria
Who the hell wants to hear actors talk? -H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

Ron Hunter

Jul 29, 2009, 11:29:06 AM7/29/09
Humm. Can it tell if you mean whitehouse.gov instead of whitehouse.com?
Grin.

Andrew DeFaria

Jul 29, 2009, 11:59:52 AM7/29/09
Ron Hunter wrote:
Humm.  Can it tell if you mean whitehouse.gov instead of whitehouse.com?  Grin.
Why of course you want whitehouse.com, which, BTW is no longer a porn site (a true testament to whatever remnants of free speech remain in the USA) but a... get this... Loan remodification and debt settlement network...
--
Andrew DeFaria
Why do croutons come in airtight packages? It's just stale bread to begin with.

Jay Garcia

Jul 29, 2009, 2:56:09 PM7/29/09

Jul 29, 2009, 10:42:16 PM7/29/09
Ron Hunter wrote:
I need a go where I mean, not where I say, routine.  Maybe in a few years, direct mental interface.
Yeah we all know that Artificial Intelligence is no match for Real Stupidity!
--
Andrew DeFaria
Taxation with representation isn't so hot, either!