plugin-container.exe

Frosted Flake

Jun 28, 2010, 12:41:55 AM6/28/10
What is "plugin-container.exe" that is active in Task Manager when
Firefox runs?

Why do I need it?

Can it be eliminated/turned off?

»Q«

Jun 28, 2010, 1:38:54 AM6/28/10
In <news:tO2dnfyPc7mOtbXR...@mozilla.org>,
Frosted Flake <em...@is.invalid> wrote:

> What is "plugin-container.exe" that is active in Task Manager when
> Firefox runs?
>
> Why do I need it?

It's a container process for a plugin, believe it or not.

It isolates the plugin, so that if the plugin freezes or crashes, it
does not freeze or crash the browser. There's a little bit of info at
<http://support.mozilla.com/kb/What+is+plugin-container> and a lot of
info at <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Crash_Protection>.

> Can it be eliminated/turned off?

Disabling Flash, Quicktime, and Silverlight should keep it from
running. But in the future, it may be extended to handle more plugins.

If you're experiencing some problem with plugin-container.exe, please
post back. If you're just looking at your task manager and feeling
itchy to kill some processes, go for it and see what happens. ;)

--
»Q« /"\
ASCII Ribbon Campaign \ /

Bob Henson

Jun 28, 2010, 3:59:56 AM6/28/10

"Frosted Flake" <em...@is.invalid> wrote in message

> What is "plugin-container.exe" that is active in Task Manager when
> Firefox runs?

"Safebox" to run Flash etc in.

> Why do I need it?

You probably don't - I've never had any Flash, Silverlight or similar
crashes here yet. I suppose it depends what sites you visit.

> Can it be eliminated/turned off?

It is here, to stop the extra memory it takes up (add up the total and
you'll find it is more than FF running on its own.) In about:config,
changing dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll to "false" will do it.

Regards,

Bob

Frosted Flake

Jun 28, 2010, 7:29:35 PM6/28/10

OK, I turned it off in about:config and killed it in Taxk Manager.

What about the other 4 about:config settings under
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled - are they of any use or just more bloat?

Frosted Flake

Jun 28, 2010, 7:32:42 PM6/28/10

No problem, it is just that I noticed it in Task Manager and didn't know
what it did.

I haven't had a crash of Firefox in a long time and I only enable a few
plugins.

I would think that something like that would be more needed for addons
since they seem to be the source of more crashes (per what I read here).
Again, I only use a few and haven't had crashes of Firefox (or
SeaMonkey) in a long time.

KISS WFM

David McRitchie

Jun 28, 2010, 9:27:25 PM6/28/10
"Frosted Flake" <em...@is.invalid> wrote in message news:9aednU2LceLCrbTR...@mozilla.org...

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries#DOM.
(note the ending period is part of the link)

but since you wanted to know what the four are they are:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.<filename>
npctrl.dll true (default), Microsoft Silverlight Plug-In
npqtplugin.dll true (default), QuickTime Plug-in
npswf32.dll true (default), Shockwave Flash
nptest.dll true (default), NPAPI plugin (Netscape Plugin Application
Programming Interface) is used on both Chrome and Firefox