Problem after moving profile folder

Rayshiki

Feb 26, 2007, 11:21:12 AM2/26/07
I love firefox. But its giving me pains off late. Please help

Me and my wife have 2 different firefox profiles in our home desktop.
My profile folder had to moved from d:\myprofile to d:\stuff
\myprofile and similarly my wife's too.

Here is what i did

1.Deleted my 2 profile (chose "not deleting the files" option)
2.Closed all firefox instances.
3.Moved the profile folder from d:\myprofile to d:\stuff\myprofile
4.Created 2 new profiles with same names as old profile names and
pointed to the d:\stuff\myprofile and similary did my wifes profile
too.
5. Now the problem is , all my settings are gone, all though i can see
the addons , i cannot use them. They are not disabled but they dont
look like they are installed. Basically its like i have a fresh
profile.

How can i fix this profile move problem so that i can recover to my
old profile state.

Please help.

Nir

Feb 26, 2007, 12:20:41 PM2/26/07
Rayshiki wrote:
> I love firefox. But its giving me pains off late. Please help
>
> Me and my wife have 2 different firefox profiles in our home desktop.
> My profile folder had to moved from d:\myprofile to d:\stuff
> \myprofile and similarly my wife's too.
>
> Here is what i did
>
> 1.Deleted my 2 profile (chose "not deleting the files" option)
> 2.Closed all firefox instances. 3.Moved the profile folder from
> d:\myprofile to d:\stuff\myprofile 4.Created 2 new profiles with same
> names as old profile names and pointed to the d:\stuff\myprofile and
> similary did my wifes profile too. 5. Now the problem is , all my
> settings are gone, all though i can see the addons , i cannot use

"all my settings are gone" -
do you mean only Toolbar customization has lost ?

> them. They are not disabled but they dont look like they are
> installed. Basically its like i have a fresh profile.
>

> How can i fix this profile move problem so that i can recover to my
> old profile state.
>
> Please help.

rename 'localstore.rdf' to 'localstore.rdf.1'
move these files(if exist) out of profile folder:
downloads.rdf
extensions.cache
extensions.ini
extensions.rdf
XUL.mfl
xpti.dat
XPC.mfasl

start Firefox with that profile ( start > run , type "firefox.exe" -P )
same problem?

Rayshiki

Feb 26, 2007, 4:34:21 PM2/26/07
I'm humbled !! It worked!!

Thanks a lot for that awesome advice.

So is this what I do whenever I move profile folders around ?

Also an extended question on this issue.

I need to synch my FF profile in my laptop to my desktop , so if i
copy the profile folder (same name) to my laptop, it should should
work fine right ?

I dont want to use google sync since i have two profiles in my desktop
and one profile in laptop that mirrors MY desktop profile.

Thanks again

David McRitchie

Feb 26, 2007, 5:14:35 PM2/26/07
"Nir" <nir...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:KYKdnfWaavp0i37Y...@mozilla.org...

Looks to me like a (possible) solution for Grant's problem.
Descriptions of the files in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

David McRitchie

Feb 26, 2007, 5:21:19 PM2/26/07

> Looks to me like a (possible) solution for Grant's problem.
> Descriptions of the files in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

after posting I see Grant (Peter the Purple hippo) solved his
own problem with a prerelease US 2.0 version.

Nir

Feb 27, 2007, 5:43:29 AM2/27/07
Rayshiki wrote:
> I'm humbled !! It worked!!
>
> Thanks a lot for that awesome advice.
>
> So is this what I do whenever I move profile folders around ?

No , I have tested your method and found no problem . Actually copying
profile folder to a suitable location and editing profiles.ini file to
point to that profile folder is more easier/clean method i think.
somehow in your case those files had become corrupted/malfunctioning .
if you delete those files , FF will automatically recreate those files
(error-free).

"http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder"