Adding entries to mimeTypes.rdf (Firefox MACOSX)

ax...@white-eagle.invalid.uk

May 16, 2006, 10:10:19 AM5/16/06
System: Firefox 1.5.0.3 on MACOSX Tiger

Is there an easy way to be able to be able to add Mime types to the
mimeTypes.rdf file.

Preferences -> Downloads -> Download Actions

allows me to view or edit selected file type actions but very stangely
there is no method to add one.

I know I can edit mimeTypes.rdf directly but this seems a rather strange
way to be forced to use.

Axel

Melchert Fruitema

May 16, 2006, 10:34:00 AM5/16/06
On 16-05-2006 16:10 CET, ax...@white-eagle.invalid.uk composed this
enchanting statement:
Why would you want that? These file types are added on the go: whenever
you want to download a file, you'll have the option to specify an action
once it is downloaded and have it saved for future downloads. Note that
some file types are exempt from this procedure for so-claimed security
reasons.

--
Kind regards,

Melchert

MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

Moz Champion (Dan)

May 16, 2006, 3:04:20 PM5/16/06

As Melchert says, there is no need to 'pre-load' any mime types or such.
When (and if) you run into a file type that Firefox cant handle it will
tell you that and give you an opportunity to set a helper application,
just remember to check the "do this for other files of this type" box
and the entry will be made for you.

As you have noticed, once you do have an entry there, you will be able
to edit it if necessary

Ron Hunter

May 17, 2006, 4:13:59 AM5/17/06
The adding takes place when you download a new type, and the settings
are made based on your responses at that time. No 'proactive' adding
allowed.

ax...@white-eagle.invalid.uk

May 17, 2006, 6:19:55 AM5/17/06

Well, as an example of the problem I am running into, is that when I
download a file with an extension .chm and that the server is
not sending a correct Content-type, I have no option except to save it
to disc - I cannot choose to open it by an application as that facility
is 'greyed' out.

However with a single download with a Content-type provided, I am able
to choose an application with which to open the downloaded file.

Subsequent downloads will then allow me to open files with this (or
another) application... based on the .chm extension alone.

What would be useful would be to be given the opportunity to open
*any* downloaded file with an application of choice and failing a valid
server Content-type header, still associate a file extension with an
application at the time of first download.

Axel

Moz Champion (Dan)

May 17, 2006, 6:37:20 AM5/17/06
If a server isnt sending a file with the correct content type, then you
should advise the web site of the problem.

If the content type is unknown, or not given, or is incorrect, then save
the file to disk. You MAY be able to open the file with a program that
understands the file type afterwards - as long as the incorrect content
type hasnt corruptted the file during download that is.

No, even if you had a file type for .chm set, you still wouldnt be able
to have it automatically select the proper application based on the .chm
extension alone. Firefox bases its helper applications on mime
settings, not file extensions.
If a server isnt properly identifying a file content type (mime type)
then the extension is basically ignored.

In short, the 'name' of a file doesnt really matter. You can rename a
file from dummy.doc to dummy.jpg or dummy.chm but its still nothing more
than a document. If its sent with the proper file content (mime type)
then it retains its proper format and can be opened in an application
that understands that content type - if it is sent with the incorrect
content (mime) type, then all bets are off - it may not be able to be
opened by other applications.