Slow as a Flash?

Bob Henson

Jun 23, 2010, 1:50:28 PM6/23/10
Has anyone else noticed that in v3.6.4 the programs that depend on Flash
have slowed right down? This one is the one where I noticed it - I think
it's Flash based -

http://www.bubbleshooter.net/

I'm guessing it's related to the new system of handling Flash and the
like. Firefox always played this game very quickly, but it's now slowed
down to the same speed as when using IE8

Regards,

Bob

Bernie

Jun 24, 2010, 11:57:49 AM6/24/10
On 6/24/2010 2:57 AM, Bob Henson wrote:

> "Ron Hunter" <rphu...@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>> On 6/23/2010 8:20 PM, Refrsxf wrote:
>> > "Bob Henson"<ne...@galenx.org.uk> wrote in message

>> Flash

>> slowed

>> > I don't play games, but, playing a video, and then bringing up task
>> manager,
>> > I see a new process, "plugin-container.exe" running. Perhaps you
>> could try
>> > right-clicking this process, and raising the priority, and see if the
>> > problem is resolved. Right now, it's set to normal, maybe try
>> above-normal?
>> >

>> What version of Flash are you using? 10.1 seems to be the current one
>> for current releases of most browsers.
>
> 10.1 r53. When I installed FF 3.6.4 a screen came up to suggest I
> updated Flash, which I did, so I guess that's the latest version.
>

> Regards,
>
> Bob

When going to install the Flash update I was surprised to see that it
wants to install Adobe Download Manager.

Bob Henson

Jun 24, 2010, 1:42:42 PM6/24/10

"Bernie" <ber...@notreally.invalid> wrote in message

This heavy handed installation of things that are unwanted and unasked
for is becoming a big problem - sadly, it's quite hard to do without
flash, or a boycott might make the point!

Regards,

Bob

Sjouke Burry

Jun 24, 2010, 3:07:18 PM6/24/10
I just disabled all download managers and such.
But I agree that it is a growing problem an I would enjoy
FF and TB safeguarding agains those intrusive "improvements".

Refrsxf

Jun 24, 2010, 7:41:02 PM6/24/10

>> When going to install the Flash update I was surprised to see that it
>> wants to install Adobe Download Manager.
>
> This heavy handed installation of things that are unwanted and unasked for
> is becoming a big problem - sadly, it's quite hard to do without flash, or
> a boycott might make the point!

The way I did it was, I used Internet Explorer, selected other browser, and
got the flash update for Firefox. Then, I used Firefox, selected other
browser, and got the update for IE, saved both to the hard drive. When I
ran them, it seemed to be the basic install, without any additional stuff.

For me, the problem occured when using the browser I wanted to update when
accessing Adobe's site.

John Black

Jun 24, 2010, 8:13:19 PM6/24/10

I noticed the same thing with BubbleShooter after upgrading to Firefox
3.6.4
and upgrading Flash as recommended by the Firefox install. After
reading a bit about the new plugin approach, I tried downgrading back
Firefox 3.6.3, but still using the new version of Flash (10.1r53).
It's
just as slow.

So, maybe this isn't a Firefox issue (at least for me). It might be
an issue
with the new Flash plugin, and how it's detecting the CPU speed for
games
like BubbleShooter (for example).

The Real Bev

Jun 25, 2010, 2:18:41 AM6/25/10
On 06/23/10 10:50, Bob Henson wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed that in v3.6.4 the programs that depend on Flash
> have slowed right down? This one is the one where I noticed it - I think
> it's Flash based -
>
> http://www.bubbleshooter.net/

Curse you. I had just gotten over a different compulsive game, and now THIS!

> I'm guessing it's related to the new system of handling Flash and the
> like. Firefox always played this game very quickly, but it's now slowed
> down to the same speed as when using IE8

I haven't played it before, but it seems fast enough for me!

--
Cheers, Bev
O_________________________________________________O

Bob Henson

Jun 25, 2010, 4:55:02 AM6/25/10

"John Black" <john_k...@cox.net> wrote in message

It looks like it. I've changed several things around, and nothing helps
- so it's probably the plugin. I gave up trying to get anywhere on
Adobe's site to ask about it - it must be the worst website ever!

Regards,

Bob

Bob Henson

Jun 25, 2010, 4:58:05 AM6/25/10
"The Real Bev" <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On 06/23/10 10:50, Bob Henson wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else noticed that in v3.6.4 the programs that depend on Flash
> > have slowed right down? This one is the one where I noticed it - I think
> > it's Flash based -
> >
> > http://www.bubbleshooter.net/
>
> Curse you. I had just gotten over a different compulsive game, and now THIS!

I don't normally play games - but this really is addictive, is it not?

> > I'm guessing it's related to the new system of handling Flash and the
> > like. Firefox always played this game very quickly, but it's now slowed
> > down to the same speed as when using IE8
>
> I haven't played it before, but it seems fast enough for me!

It's running at about 2/3 the speed it ran before. It is slightly faster
if you turn off the new Plugin-container, but not much.

Regards,

Bob

effdee

Jun 25, 2010, 10:42:34 PM6/25/10
That page works ok for me...

Bob Henson

Jun 26, 2010, 2:29:41 PM6/26/10

> > Has anyone else noticed that in v3.6.4 the programs that depend on Flash

> > have slowed right down? This one is the one where I noticed it - I think
> > it's Flash based -
> >
> > http://www.bubbleshooter.net/
> >
> > I'm guessing it's related to the new system of handling Flash and the
> > like. Firefox always played this game very quickly, but it's now slowed
> > down to the same speed as when using IE8

> I noticed the same thing with BubbleShooter after upgrading to Firefox

> 3.6.4
> and upgrading Flash as recommended by the Firefox install. After
> reading a bit about the new plugin approach, I tried downgrading back
> Firefox 3.6.3, but still using the new version of Flash (10.1r53).
> It's
> just as slow.
>
> So, maybe this isn't a Firefox issue (at least for me). It might be
> an issue
> with the new Flash plugin, and how it's detecting the CPU speed for
> games
> like BubbleShooter (for example).

I just did the same thing and removed 3.6.4. Replacing it with 3.6.3
speeded things up to normal. Re-installing 3.6.4 slowed it right down
again, even with dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll set to false. The
problem definitely lies with Firefox. It's getting nearly as slow and
bloated as IE8 now - in which case it's pointless having to have two
programs on the system, I may as well ditch Firefox as well as
Thunderbird.

Regards,

Bob

Refrsxf

Jun 26, 2010, 3:07:18 PM6/26/10

>> So, maybe this isn't a Firefox issue (at least for me). It might be
>> an issue
>> with the new Flash plugin, and how it's detecting the CPU speed for
>> games
>> like BubbleShooter (for example).
>

> I just did the same thing and removed 3.6.4. Replacing it with 3.6.3
> speeded things up to normal. Re-installing 3.6.4 slowed it right down
> again, even with dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll set to false. The
> problem definitely lies with Firefox. It's getting nearly as slow and
> bloated as IE8 now - in which case it's pointless having to have two
> programs on the system, I may as well ditch Firefox as well as
> Thunderbird.
>

> Regards,
>
> Bob

Not for me. First I tried Firefox, Opera, and IE and saw the same speed on
all three, all using 10.1.53.64. Then, I reinstated flash 10.0.45.2 with
the new Firefox, flash still running in the separate process, and the speed
was noticeably faster. I keep copies of the dll files, so I had to do was
pop in the older one into c:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash directory. For
me, there is no question about it, the flash version change makes a
significent change in speed. Whether the browser version change also
affects the speed, well, I'm not going to find out, under the rule that when
not broke, don't fix it.

Here's a link that verifies the version of flash.
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html
I'm wondering if , when you reinstated the earlier version of Firefox,
somehow, the earlier version of Flash got reinstated or it's using a Flash
dll located in a different place.

Ron Hunter

Jun 26, 2010, 5:35:45 PM6/26/10
Just curious, why not ditch IE instead? Oh, wait, you can't. Wonder
why that is.....

Bob Henson

Jun 27, 2010, 4:18:10 AM6/27/10

> Just curious, why not ditch IE instead? Oh, wait, you can't. Wonder
> why that is.....

In my case, because a fair percentage of websites won't display using
Firefox and will using IE8. There aren't any the other way round!

Regards,

Bob

Bob Henson

Jun 27, 2010, 4:34:12 AM6/27/10

"Refrsxf" <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

No, it stayed the same version right the way through. The "new" version
of FF released this morning doesn't make any difference, but then
a.f.a.i.c.s. the only difference is the timeout setting for the
plugin-container. Pity no-one though to do any testing before releasing
3.6.4.

Regards,

Bob

Bob Henson

Jun 27, 2010, 7:20:30 AM6/27/10

"Refrsxf" <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Bob Henson" <ne...@galenx.org.uk> wrote in message

My apologies - I redid all the checks and found I must have missed
something last time. This time, I carefully made sure that I had changed
the Flash version back to 10.0.45.2 - which was the one you used. Sure
enough, the speed loss was reversed - regardless of FF version. It is,
in fact, the Flash version (that Firefox 3.6.4 insisted I installed)
that was causing the problem. I shall leave it at that version and
refuse newer ones until I'm assured that Adobe have fixed this duff
version. I'll still leave the new "flash in a box" feature disabled
anyway, as Firefox uses less memory on here when it runs in the program
itself.

Regards,

Bob

Refrsxf

Jun 27, 2010, 10:58:27 AM6/27/10

"Bob Henson" <ne...@galenx.org.uk> wrote in message

I think there is a security hole in the older versions of Flash that
prompted Adobe to rush the new version out the door.

http://blog.trendmicro.com/zero-day-flashacrobat-exploit-seen-in-the-wild/

So, if you want to stick with the older version, I would suggest making sure
that flash can't automatically run, using an addon like Flashblock.

David McRitchie

Jun 27, 2010, 11:16:04 AM6/27/10

"Bob Henson" <ne...@galenx.org.uk> wrote in message news:4YWdncc6ccRgrrrR...@mozilla.org...

> itself. // Bob

Since it is working for me on my system, I'm staying with Flash 10.1.63.54
and Firefox 3.6.6 for now on Windows 7 (64bit). But I've seen the high
CPU usage, and there are sure a number of people already reporting in Hendrix
that 3.6.6 did not solve any of their problems, one even asking if it was really
an update from Mozilla.

But yours would seem to be the best solution to what is seen as Firefox 3.6.4
and 3.6.6 problems. If I go to Adobe site, I don't see any link to install the older
Flash 10.0.45.2 version -- I do see security advisories for that one though in a
Google search of Adobe support like the one you pointed to.

I doubt that the Plugins test would every show your "your update is too recent,
you must return to an earlier plug-in version, here is the link...".

FWIW reference to this thread in Google Groups is
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/browse_frm/thread/60442cc22c98f9c9/3daf8b109d8ce9b2?#3daf8b109d8ce9b2