AVG Safe Search -- can it be uninstalled

David McRitchie

May 23, 2008, 10:06:03 AM5/23/08
How can AVG Safe Search be permanently uninstalled.

AVG Safe Search (comes with new "AVG Anti Virus Free", version 8 install) is similar to
McAfee Site Advisor, and I can only disable it. (not uninstall). Probably chose
to accept the add-on as something that I would "try" just to see what it did.

In 2.0.0.14, it prevented use of "Enter" on my system, and other problems for other
users. On Fx3 it shows the busy throbber icon for each Google
search returned item. Has to be disabled on each new profile.

It gets installed automatically into Firefox, and any new Firefox profile.
It gets installed in Internet Explorer as well, actually guess that comes first.

I guess this is like the Ask Toolbar, either don't ask for it, or you don't realize
that it is not something that can simply be uninstalled within Tools, Add-ons.
Of course I would never install a third party Toolbar, though I do install some
extensions that have toolbars, but not use the toolbar.

The FAQ at http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1241
the actual item is 1253 so try http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1253
but that does not uninstall it..

--
David McRitchie, http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

white...@fastmail.us

May 23, 2008, 10:34:39 AM5/23/08
to David McRitchie
From the AVG Free support FAQ's
<http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1241#faq_1241>...

If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner
component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed
as follows:

* Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our
website.
* Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE
fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch. One way to achieve
this is to:
o save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\
o open menu Start -> Run
o type
c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf
/REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch
* The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed
without the LinkScanner component.

I did this, when prompted, I chose Remove Components as Setup Type, then
just kept pressing Next until finished.

white...@fastmail.us

David McRitchie

May 23, 2008, 2:31:03 PM5/23/08
<whitedavidp wrote: .....

> From the AVG Free support FAQ's
> <http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1241#faq_1241>...
[clipped directions in FAQ 1252 to reinstall without LinkScanner ]

> I did this, when prompted, I chose Remove Components as Setup Type, then
> just kept pressing Next until finished.

Hi David W.,

Seems like a lot of work.

Since you removed the component, did it remove
the "AVG Safe Search" from Add-ons of your existing profiles, and does
it remove warning of not having all components on the Overview, and
exclamation point on top of it's icon on the System Task Tray. // David M.

white...@fastmail.us

May 23, 2008, 2:48:01 PM5/23/08

It was not really alot of work. I had not noticed the addon addition but
it is not there now. It also removes the component from the list of
components and removes the exclamation from the tray icon. It IS what
you want to do, I think.

David McRitchie

May 23, 2008, 8:16:56 PM5/23/08
<whitedavidp wrote:...

During the first attempt I was told to install KB 929547 on my Vista
Home Basic (32bit), actually sounded like it might solve problem, since
it addressed some delays, but didn't help. Finally got through the
reinstall (should have had AVG & Firefox down before reinstalling with parameters
indicated in AVG's FAQ 1252 ).
And it did indeed remove the add-on from all profiles, and remove
exclamation from the tray icon, and removed component from the list
of components. Thanks, // David McRitchie