FF Constant loading Gmail

lemel_man

Sep 13, 2009, 2:41:41 AM9/13/09
FF 3.5.3, XP Pro+SP3+all updates.
I originally set up Gmail as a forwarding agent, and decided to try it
out as a web-based system, but it got a problem - if I try to reply to
an email it opens a blank area for the reply, but there is no cursor in
it and I can't type anything there. Instead, I get a little message
saying "Loading", which eventually opens a little window containing the
message "Unable to load the rich text editor".

I tried deleting cookies and recent history, to no effect.
Out of desperation I tried IE6, which works fine.
Any ideas?

--
Regards, Gary Wooding
(To reply by email, change gug to goog in my address)

Terry R.

Sep 13, 2009, 3:13:13 PM9/13/09
The date and time was Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:41:41 PM, and on a
whim, lemel_man pounded out on the keyboard:

> FF 3.5.3, XP Pro+SP3+all updates.
> I originally set up Gmail as a forwarding agent, and decided to try it
> out as a web-based system, but it got a problem - if I try to reply to
> an email it opens a blank area for the reply, but there is no cursor in
> it and I can't type anything there. Instead, I get a little message
> saying "Loading", which eventually opens a little window containing the
> message "Unable to load the rich text editor".
>
> I tried deleting cookies and recent history, to no effect.
> Out of desperation I tried IE6, which works fine.
> Any ideas?

Works great here. Have you tried FF Safe Mode?

Terry R.

lemel_man

Sep 14, 2009, 4:00:39 AM9/14/09
Terry R. wrote:
> ...snip...

> Works great here. Have you tried FF Safe Mode?
>

> Terry R.

I hadn't, but yes, it works fine in Safe Mode.
Although I've used FF for many months I'm by no means an expert. How do
I figure out what causes the problem please?

Lou

Sep 14, 2009, 5:14:59 AM9/14/09
lemel_man wrote:
> Terry R. wrote:
>> ...snip...
>> Works great here. Have you tried FF Safe Mode?
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> I hadn't, but yes, it works fine in Safe Mode.
> Although I've used FF for many months I'm by no means an expert. How do
> I figure out what causes the problem please?

If you can send a list of the add-ons and extensions you have someone
may know.
Or disable them one at a time.
Keep sending yourself tests.

PeeGee

Sep 14, 2009, 6:41:59 AM9/14/09

..or, better, do a "binary chop" - disable half the add-ons, restart FF
and try again. If it works ok, it's probably the other half causing the
problem. Repeat for the half that is probably the cause, disabling all
the rest. You will eventually get a single extension, but if there are
two, you will need to repeat the process (from the last successful
"half") :-(

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."

lemel_man

Sep 14, 2009, 7:48:32 AM9/14/09
Thanks for the help guys. The add-on that was causing the problem is
"Skype extension for Firefox 3.3.0.3789"
Its not one that I specifically added, so I guess Skype added it for me.
I have Skype 4.1.0.141 installed.
Do you know what it does for me - apart from messing up Gmail?

David McRitchie

Sep 14, 2009, 9:47:37 AM9/14/09
"lemel_man" <bins...@guglemail.com> wrote in message news:jtednQMyscw9sDPX...@mozilla.org...

> Thanks for the help guys. The add-on that was causing the problem is "Skype extension for Firefox 3.3.0.3789"
> Its not one that I specifically added, so I guess Skype added it for me. I have Skype 4.1.0.141 installed.
> Do you know what it does for me - apart from messing up Gmail?

The "Skype" extension is not needed for using Skype, it affects Firefox, and Gmail speed
per http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=105728
as I recall it is a large extension with very limited benefits, but I avoid extensions installed by applications and application
toolbars and can't think of any that I've ever needed. I think with the Skype extension, Skype would probably always be up. That
would be a bad idea as you are sharing your machine with other Skype users for processing Skype messages in the same manner as other
instant messaging.

If you go to "Problematic Extensions"
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
I've added your problem with GMail, so that GMail is specifically mentioned, but this is a page that you should look at when you
have a problem with extensions, as these extensions are or have been problematic and typically may present problems in the future,
whether the specific problem is mentioned or not. Weighing advantages/disadvantages and knowing what to watch out for with an
extension or combinations of extensions can be a real help. Sometimes all you need is an updated version of an extension, also
read the comments at the extensions addons page. (Skype extension is not listed at addons it was installed optionally as part of
the Skype installation).

Very few extensions with problems are actually listed there, just the very serious ones or ones that may affect a lot of people or
be very troublesome. At the right hand column for the Skype extension are a bunch of links, if you have the "Linky" extension
that would help you select them, and load each into a tab and view the references if you are interested.

--
HTH,