Looking for feedback on Get Involved metrics dashboard mockup

davidwboswell

Oct 24, 2011, 1:26:28 PM10/24/11
I wanted to get feedback on a Get Involved dashboard the Metrics team
is working on. You can see it at:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=566974

This is meant to give us useful information about the effectiveness of
the 'Want to Help?' form that people use to express interest in
contributing to Mozilla.

Right now we just have basic information about total number of
inquiries coming in and the number of replies existing Mozillians are
sending out to those inquiries. You can see those stats at:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Contribute/Form_stats

I'd like the dashboard to also show the project areas people are
interested in as well as having a success metric to show how many
people ended up contributing.

There may be other metrics that would be useful to include, so I'd be
very interested to hear feedback about what else people want in a
dashboard.

For example, the Metrics team suggested that we tag inquiries with a
rating system (such as a promising lead or spam). That sounds great
to me, but would require changing how we handle inquiries since the
current mailing list system doesn't let us capture that.

So another question is, would people be open to changing the current
process for gathering and responding to inquiries in order to get
additional metrics?

David

luke....@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2011, 2:29:28 PM10/24/11
Since I just started on it, I'm open to changing it. :)

I would say start small and simple - don't worry about rating system yet. I just want to see:

1. Get involved requests, broken down by area of interest.
2. Unanswered requests, broken down by area of interest.

Later we can add features to track over time, mark requests as promising, successful, unknown, unanswered, etc.

davidwboswell

Oct 24, 2011, 2:58:58 PM10/24/11
> I would say start small and simple - don't worry about rating system yet. I just want to see:

I agree. Building this out in phases makes sense.

> 1. Get involved requests, broken down by area of interest.

That's definitely in the mockups -- in the mockup the Overview section
on the first page shows the total inquiries as well as the numbers for
some specific project areas.

> 2. Unanswered requests, broken down by area of interest.

To confirm, are you interested in the number of replies to an original
inquiry that an existing Mozillian sends out or the number of replies
we get back from the people interested in contributing after they're
sent information (or both)?

David

Jay

Oct 24, 2011, 8:04:16 PM10/24/11
On Oct 24, 1:58 pm, davidwboswell <davidweldonbosw...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I need a bit more clarification of what we're trying to accomplish
here. Are we trying to count replies that are one-way answers that
point the user to the proper venue or are we counting how many
requests we actually provide an answer to and/or also pointing the
user(s) to another department.

At this time I am responsible for:

User Research
Firefox Suggestions
Accessibility
Support
Firefox Question
Documentation

Thanks, Jay

davidwboswell

Oct 25, 2011, 4:00:37 PM10/25/11
Jay,

> I need a bit more clarification of what we're trying to accomplish
> here. Are we trying to count replies that are one-way answers that
> point the user to the proper venue or are we counting how many
> requests we actually provide an answer to and/or also pointing the
> user(s) to another department.

For replies, I personally think there are two things worth tracking:

* How many inquiries get a response? Although this is less of an
issue now that we have auto-responses for many areas, but not all of
them.

* How many people follow up after getting a response? I think this
isn't a great gauge for determining who contributes or not, but it is
an interesting metric since I think it's important for new people to
have a chance to have a dialogue with people already in the community.

In general, I wanted to hear from people using this system, or people
interested in it, to see what they would find helpful.

If there are metrics around replies, or around other parts of the
system, that you think are worth looking at, let us know.

David