Curly J. Mozilla needs your help!

John Slater

Oct 27, 2010, 12:37:46 AM10/27/10
to mark...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all. Our lovable illustrated character Curly is prepping for a feature slot on the soon-to-be redesigned Mozilla.com, and needs to build up his Facebook profile as part of the project. If you want to help him out, please friend him at http://www.facebook.com/curlyjmozilla - it would really make his day.

More from Curly to come...

Thanks!

Mary Colvig

Oct 27, 2010, 1:11:02 AM10/27/10
to John Slater, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
Here's a pic of Curly if you want to change your profile pix :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/firefox_community/5119364031/

Thanks!

Majken Connor

Oct 27, 2010, 1:31:38 PM10/27/10
to Mary Colvig, mark...@lists.mozilla.org, John Slater
I have to admit, I don't "get" that line of mascots, especially when there
have been so many great fox-based mascots that could be used. Is there a
write up somewhere of how they came to be and what they represent/how they
relate to Mozilla?

Also, his facebook profile only shares some info with people who aren't
friends. Is that intentional? I'd think we'd want everyone to be able to
read everything, and friending gets you on the mailing lists.

-Majken "Lucy" Connor

Seth Bindernagel

Oct 27, 2010, 1:38:43 PM10/27/10
to Majken Connor, Mary Colvig, mark...@lists.mozilla.org, John Slater
From a U.S. perspective...

Curly : caveman :: Fox : anthropomorphic day gecko.

Some brands have multiple mascots to enhance their imagery, fun, and story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEICO#Advertising_campaigns

Majken Connor

Oct 27, 2010, 1:47:27 PM10/27/10
to Seth Bindernagel, Mary Colvig, mark...@lists.mozilla.org, John Slater
Sure, but the gecko is a play on mispronouncing Geico and the cavemen had
messaging to tie them in to the campaign. "GEICO advertises that using their
website is "so easy, a caveman could do it" " So like you said, it's the
enhance the story, but like I said, I'm missing the story.

-Lucy

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Seth Bindernagel <se...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> From a U.S. perspective...
>
> Curly : caveman :: Fox : anthropomorphic day gecko.
>
> Some brands have multiple mascots to enhance their imagery, fun, and story.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEICO#Advertising_campaigns
>

> Majken Connor wrote:
>
> I have to admit, I don't "get" that line of mascots, especially when there
> have been so many great fox-based mascots that could be used. Is there a
> write up somewhere of how they came to be and what they represent/how they
> relate to Mozilla?
>
> Also, his facebook profile only shares some info with people who aren't
> friends. Is that intentional? I'd think we'd want everyone to be able to
> read everything, and friending gets you on the mailing lists.
>
> -Majken "Lucy" Connor
>

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Mary Colvig <ma...@mozilla.com> <ma...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>

> Here's a pic of Curly if you want to change your profile pix :)
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/firefox_community/5119364031/

Chris Hofmann

Oct 27, 2010, 2:19:09 PM10/27/10
to Majken Connor, Seth Bindernagel, Mary Colvig, mark...@lists.mozilla.org, John Slater

A story *and* a wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEICO_Cavemen

Curly, the man, the myth, the legend...
to have a chance of engagement and survival Curly needs all of these.

Even then its not guaranteed. GEICO has dropped the caveman ads.

-chofmann

> mark...@lists.mozilla.org

John Slater

Oct 27, 2010, 2:32:05 PM10/27/10
to chof...@mozilla.com, Majken Connor, Seth Bindernagel, Mary Colvig, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
I think we might be overcomplicating things here. None of the illustrations on the Firefox site are meant to be mascots...they aren't physical embodiments of our products, nor or are they the centerpieces of major advertising campaigns.

They were born out of the fact that it's nice to have visually appealing websites and screenshots of browsers can get a little visually monotonous if that's all you show. After trying a few different solutions that didn't seem to work, we hit upon illustrations as a way of conveying a distinct brand personality and/or representing certain abstract product qualities (when applicable). They're really not meant to represent Firefox or Mozilla in a 1:1 literal sense, but they are meant to add a sense of fun and personality to the way we promote the product on our website. They're characters, not mascots.

In this particular case, we're going to show the character Curly interacting with a Facebook screenshot and I thought it would be fun to have a real FB page that people could discover (like an Easter egg) rather than faking one in Photoshop. It's as simple as that...not meant to be a path into our mailing lists (which I'm pretty sure wouldn't pass legal clearance anyway) or a channel into our social media activities...we have other pages that will be more effective for all that anyway.

Thanks for bringing it up, and I hope this clarifies things at least a little bit. And thanks to everyone who has friended Curly! It's definitely an optional thing, but I appreciate your help.

John

Allen Gunn

Oct 27, 2010, 2:52:19 PM10/27/10
to mark...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey friends,

Gunner here, long-time list lurker. Really enjoy the discussion on this
list.

Sorry if I'm doing the wet blanket routine, but one other consideration
that I wanted to raise is whether Curly is in violation of Facebook
account policy? I know they are weenies, but their policy at

http://www.facebook.com/terms.php

is pretty clear (section 4) that accounts like Curly are out of bounds.
If you already got this cleared with them, I apologize for cluttering up
the listspace.

But I mention this because we work with several folks who have had
accounts closed for violating terms of use (e.g. org using person page,
etc). It would suck to build a following, get some visibility and then
have FB put the kabosh on it all.

peace,
gunner

--

Allen Gunn
Executive Director, Aspiration

Aspiration: "Better Tools for a Better World"

Read our Manifesto: http://bit.ly/aspimanifesto

Follow us:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/aspirationtech
Twitter: www.twitter.com/aspirationtech

Majken Connor

Oct 27, 2010, 2:56:16 PM10/27/10
to chof...@mozilla.com, Seth Bindernagel, Mary Colvig, mark...@lists.mozilla.org, John Slater
To be fair, the cavemen ran for years. They even got a few ads after their
failed tv series making fun of it.

-Lucy

Tara Shahian

Oct 27, 2010, 2:53:24 PM10/27/10
to Allen Gunn, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
Good thing to consider, for sure.

For what it's worth, the Monterey Bay Aquarium did something similar,
where they created profiles for Seahorses, one of them was named
"Herbie Hippocampus"....as part of a larger campaign for the exhibit.
That seemed to fly: http://www.facebook.com/herbie.hippocampus?sid=0a04fd3e28769b9a26baaae7ef57efb6&hiq=herbie%2Chippocampus
Not sure if they got special permissions though.

> --
>
> Allen Gunn
> Executive Director, Aspiration
> +1.415.216.7252
> www.aspirationtech.org
>
> Aspiration: "Better Tools for a Better World"
>
> Read our Manifesto: http://bit.ly/aspimanifesto
>
> Follow us:
> Facebook: www.facebook.com/aspirationtech
> Twitter: www.twitter.com/aspirationtech

Robert Accettura

Oct 27, 2010, 3:18:12 PM10/27/10
to Tara Shahian, mark...@lists.mozilla.org, Allen Gunn
There are quite a few fake accounts floating around on Facebook...
I've got at least one "friend" who is technically an inanimate object
despite what some coworkers may think.

-Robert

David Tenser

Oct 27, 2010, 3:30:45 PM10/27/10
On Oct 27, 9:18 pm, Robert Accettura <rob...@accettura.com> wrote:
> There are quite a few fake accounts floating around on Facebook...
> I've got at least one "friend" who is technically an inanimate object
> despite what some coworkers may think.

You're not talking about me now, are you?

Marcio Galli

Oct 27, 2010, 4:35:29 PM10/27/10
to David Tenser, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
This FB persona seems cool. How FB sees the profile in terms of the terms of
use. They are fine with it? If so, would they be fine if we keep a hosted
version of Firefox open and manage to update the FB account with
data-sources from other "tabs"? Like updates from twitter and more.

Matthew R. Bowker

Oct 27, 2010, 5:57:32 PM10/27/10
to Marcio Galli, David Tenser, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
Are you guys interested in having me write a Wikipedia article for Curly?

All we would need is some third party sources (establishing notability).

I'd be interested in writing if we know there are some third party sources
out there.

Thanks,
Matthew Bowker

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Marcio Galli <mga...@mgalli.com> wrote:

> This FB persona seems cool. How FB sees the profile in terms of the terms
> of
> use. They are fine with it? If so, would they be fine if we keep a hosted
> version of Firefox open and manage to update the FB account with
> data-sources from other "tabs"? Like updates from twitter and more.

Majken Connor

Oct 28, 2010, 11:19:46 PM10/28/10
to John Slater, Seth Bindernagel, Mary Colvig, chof...@mozilla.com, mark...@lists.mozilla.org
All of that sounds good. I really like the idea of using characters to liven
up the pages. I also like the idea of the real Facebook page, I'd actually
want to try and run further with it if it gets enough popularity.

What I was asking though, and haven't understood yet, is why the _monsters_?
This isn't the first place they've been used, but it's the most public I've
noticed so far, so I finally decided to ask.

My point about the foxes is that there have been so many great community
contributed as well as internally created foxes. I'm curious why not
highlight one of them if a character is needed. Which is a separate question
from what inspired the monsters, which I'm still curious about!

-Majken "Lucy" Connor

Jay Patel

Oct 29, 2010, 2:20:57 PM10/29/10
to Majken Connor, Seth Bindernagel, Mary Colvig, chof...@mozilla.com, mark...@lists.mozilla.org, John Slater
We have many foxes out there that are creations of diverse communities
around the world. They have each adopted these characters to represent
their locales and cultures.... and I personally think that is how they
are best utilized. I know Japan, Korea and China all have very cool
fox-y characters that people there love and continue to share with the
world. I don't think it would be fair or right to claim any of them for
our website....

However, we did get some very cool CREATURES (I don't see them as
monsters) from previous projects (included the green "Mo" for the
Campus/Student Reps program I worked on)... and I think the cute, furry
creatures are a nice unique set of characters that feel more unique and
universal for the website.

As for inspiration, I'm guessing they were inspired by "Where the Wild
Things Are"... a book that I loved as a kid (as I'm sure many others did
as well). But the furry creatures with horns also seem to be a nice
hybrid of fox-like and dino-like creatures, so it kinda works IMHO.

Anyway, this thread has been an interesting one to watch... and I'm sure
everyone has an opinion, so thought I would chime in. Hope it helps...

- Jay