Planet Mozilla Plan and Policy proposals

Asa Dotzler

Mar 9, 2007, 7:09:15 PM3/9/07
Thanks to everyone that's participated in the discussions here. It's
helped greatly to inform our early decisions and get us rolling.

Robert Accettura voices what I think a lot of us are coming around to
realizing:

> For the record, it's great to see so much discussion about what was
> originally somewhat of a small thing in the community. It says two
> things in my mind:
> 1. Blogging has a very positive impact in development, and is very
> well regarded by all readers, and participants.
> 2. People get a much better understanding for the "behind the scenes"
> and "when not behind the computer" in developers lives.
> 3. People really enjoy it. I know I do.

[insert cute remark about that being three things, not two, and then
segue to the roadmap.]

----

Here's a quick dump of our plans for Planet Mozilla. I've broken it down
into long-term, medium-term, and short-term. The long-term plans are
more about the vision of the project rather than specific goals or
tasks. The nearer-term stuff is a bit more concrete.

*Long Term*
1. Planet Mozilla will be a lively hub of news, opinion, and
knowledge and a resource for anyone interested in Mozilla.
2. Planet should include feeds from everyone in the Mozilla
Community willing to participate and it should evolve in real
time with the community.
3. Usability should improve for both the Web and feed versions
as the technology allows.

*Medium Term*
1. Offer at least two feeds at Planet Mozilla. One feed will be
inclusive of whatever content community members offer. A second
feed will offer, by methods still to be determined, only or
mostly Mozilla-related content.
2. Update the Planet software and the theme for the Web version.
3. Finalize a policy for the operation of Planet Mozilla.

*Short Term*
1. Redress of grievances. (in process. file bugs if you were
wronged in and need us to right things.)
2. Set up better communication channels. (mostly done)

----

Here's a second draft of the "policy" for how the Planet Mozilla team
will manage the service. Some are placeholders and we need to work on
the language.

I. All active Mozilla Community members* are eligible for inclusion in
a Planet Mozilla feed.
II. All changes to Planet Mozilla require either review from two
members of the Planet Team.
III. Blog owners will be notified before any changes are made to their
feed at Planet Mozilla.
IV. All changes made to Planet Mozilla will be announced at the Planet
Mozilla Blog.
V. [We probably need to have something here about disclaimers of
liability for content.]
VI. We will strive for diversity in the make-up of the Planet Mozilla
Module Owner and Peers.

* active Mozilla Community members include anyone who is contributing to
any Mozilla-hosted projects. This includes, but is not limited to, code
contributors, policy wonks, qa and testing folks, marketing
contributors, localization teams, user support people, documentation
contributors, project management people, toolsmiths, and regular forum,
irc, and newsgroup participants.

----

The plans for Planet Mozilla are really just about making it the best
possible resource for our community. I'm happy to have feedback there,
especially on the medium-term goals. There's probably a lot more that
could be added to the policy part, too, but I think we should approach
this with, as Deb phrased it, a "let's see what happens" style of policy
rather than trying to figure it all out before moving to make things better.

Again, thanks for all of the great feedback. Keep it coming.

- A (on behalf of the Planet Mozilla team)

Robert Kaiser

Mar 9, 2007, 7:44:53 PM3/9/07
Asa Dotzler schrieb:

> The plans for Planet Mozilla are really just about making it the best
> possible resource for our community. I'm happy to have feedback there,
> especially on the medium-term goals. There's probably a lot more that
> could be added to the policy part, too, but I think we should approach
> this with, as Deb phrased it, a "let's see what happens" style of policy
> rather than trying to figure it all out before moving to make things
> better.

I think this is a really great plan and hope it can get implemented as
soon as reasonably possible. Thanks for your good work on that. I think
many people in our diverse and wide-spread community appreciate that.

Robert Kaiser