Re: ESPN360 Extension

»Q«

Nov 30, 2007, 6:06:46 PM11/30/07
<peter.potamus.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
> > .dll files are Windows libraries (dynamic link libraries); they're
> > ^^^^^^^
> > not stand-alone programs,
>
> I never said they were. Its you thats saying that and
> making that assumption, not me

You said they weren't programs, so I expounded a little on that, to
make it clear that they are windows-specific code, so that he wouldn't
expect them to work with Linux.

> Its you thats saying that and making that assumption, not me

It's not an assumption -- they really aren't stand-alone programs.

> > but they are code that apps such as Firefox
> > can call on. Pete won't find any .dll files in about:plugins.
>
> again, there's your problem right there. You were
> confusing. I didn't know if you were talking about me or
> Pete H.

I'm sorry you became confused, but that wasn't /my/ problem. You said
he'd find .dll files listed in his about:plugins, and I said he
wouldn't; I don't know how you came to believe I said /you/ wouldn't,
since I also explicitly pointed out the difference between Linux and
Windows.

followup set to m.general

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 2, 2007, 1:40:36 AM12/2/07
squaredancer wrote:
> On 01.12.2007 17:33, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Pete Holsberg
> to generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer has written on 12/1/2007 6:36 AM:
>>
>>> On 01.12.2007 01:18, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
>>> the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

>>> ..... and not to mention that some of us call you by your given name
>>> (but, to be honest, NOT in the support groups)
>>>
>>> reg
>>>
>> That's not his REAL name?? Jeez!! ;-)
>>

> nope - but here's a *genuine pic* so that you'll recognise him ... (he's
> on the left)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YlBpDR9PwE
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyYr_Uh6-w&feature=related
>
> reg

peeerrfect. Didn't like the first one but the second was
just what I was looking for. Thanks

disregarded!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

squaredancer

Dec 2, 2007, 8:12:37 AM12/2/07
On 02.12.2007 07:40, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
oh Peter - that one is *ANCIENT* would've thought you had that since
doomsday!

btw - googled for "hippo sings" and got quite a few hits!

reg

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 3, 2007, 1:43:27 PM12/3/07
squaredancer wrote:
>>> nope - but here's a *genuine pic* so that you'll recognise him ... (he's
>>> on the left)
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YlBpDR9PwE
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyYr_Uh6-w&feature=related
>>>
>>> reg
>>>
>> peeerrfect. Didn't like the first one but the second was
>> just what I was looking for. Thanks
>>

> oh Peter - that one is *ANCIENT* would've thought you had that since
> doomsday!

no, I've never done it.

> btw - googled for "hippo sings" and got quite a few hits!

that might be so, but its all about the same one. No others
that I could find. But I did find this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkZYoHT-vRU, but not as funny
as the other one.

btw: what the hell is a "a-wimoweh"?

squaredancer

Dec 3, 2007, 4:33:01 PM12/3/07
On 03.12.2007 19:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

>>> peeerrfect. Didn't like the first one but the second was
>>> just what I was looking for. Thanks
>>>

>> oh Peter - that one is *ANCIENT* would've thought you had that since
>> doomsday!
>>

> no, I've never done it.
>

>> btw - googled for "hippo sings" and got quite a few hits!
>>

> that might be so, but its all about the same one. No others
> that I could find.

I didn't look through the Google find - too many and I wanted the ones I
put up here...

> But I did find this:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkZYoHT-vRU, but not as funny
> as the other one.

Sumo-swinger *lol*

> btw: what the hell is a "a-wimoweh"?

dunno - that song is ancient and, IIRC an "african native" (is that
politically correct??) song, translated into a popular hit... 60's or
70's must have been!

reg

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 3, 2007, 7:41:24 PM12/3/07
squaredancer wrote:
>> btw: what the hell is a "a-wimoweh"?
> dunno - that song is ancient and, IIRC an "african native" (is that
> politically correct??) song, translated into a popular hit... 60's or
> 70's must have been!

check out the multimedia group

The Real Bev

Dec 3, 2007, 9:02:24 PM12/3/07
squaredancer wrote:

> On 03.12.2007 19:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
> the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

>> btw: what the hell is a "a-wimoweh"?
>
> dunno - that song is ancient and, IIRC an "african native" (is that
> politically correct??) song, translated into a popular hit... 60's or
> 70's must have been!

The Tokens, 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'. Early 60s. A lot of South
African music (not that I've heard all that much) sounds like that. Nice.

Husband played it for me over the phone from the radio. It sent chills
up our backs. It still does. There was a lot of enjoyable popular
music back then, which the Beatles killed with excessive soppiness.
Remember Sandy Nelson? Duane Eddy. Any other grownups in the group?

There's something wrong with my keyboard.
Whenever I type x I get x.

Ken Whiton

Dec 4, 2007, 12:23:27 AM12/4/07
*-* On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:43:27 -0800,
*-* In Article _b-dnWMPuLKx0Mna...@mozilla.org,
*-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote
*-* About Re: ESPN360 Extension

[ ... ]

> btw: what the hell is a "a-wimoweh"?

If
http://filthychoice.blogspot.com/2006/04/mbubewimowehlion-sleeps-tonight.html
is to be believed, it's a case of mis-heard lyrics:

"In the early 50's Pete Seeger heard the record from a friend and
transcribed what he thought were the lyrics, turning Uyimbube to
Wimoweh. With his controversial folk group they recorded the song as
Wimoweh which would become one of their most popular songs."

Ken Whiton

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

Ken Whiton

Dec 4, 2007, 12:23:32 AM12/4/07
*-* On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 18:02:24 -0800,
*-* In Article kfWdnc7y29usKMna...@mozilla.org,
*-* The Real Bev wrote

*-* About Re: ESPN360 Extension

> squaredancer wrote:

>> On 03.12.2007 19:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter
>> Potamus the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

>>> btw: what the hell is a "a-wimoweh"?

>> dunno - that song is ancient and, IIRC an "african native"

Actually, it's not a "traditional" piece, although most people
probably think it is. It was written and recorded in 1939 by a South
African named Solomon Linda.

> (is that
>> politically correct??) song, translated into a popular hit... 60's
>> or 70's must have been!

> The Tokens, 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'. Early 60s.

While that was the biggest hit version, it dates back (as
Wimoweh) to Pete Seeger and The Weavers in the early 1950s. In
addition to the link included in my reply to Grant, see also:
http://www.nndb.com/people/821/000022755 for more details.

> A lot of South
> African music (not that I've heard all that much) sounds like that.
> Nice.

> Husband played it for me over the phone from the radio. It sent
> chills up our backs. It still does. There was a lot of enjoyable
> popular music back then, which the Beatles killed with excessive
> soppiness. Remember Sandy Nelson?

"Teen Beat", "Let There Be Drums"

> Duane Eddy.

I still have my (vinyl) copy of his "Have "Twangy" Guitar, Will
Travel" album.

> Any other grownups
> in the group?

Yup. Sticking with just the instrumentalists, do you remember
Bill Doggett, Noble "Thin Man" Watts, Bill Justis, Link Wray, Lee
Allen, The Viscounts, and The Champs, just to name a few?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 4, 2007, 1:22:12 AM12/4/07
Ken Whiton wrote:
> *-* On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:43:27 -0800,
> *-* In Article _b-dnWMPuLKx0Mna...@mozilla.org,
> *-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote
> *-* About Re: ESPN360 Extension
>
> [ ... ]
>
>> btw: what the hell is a "a-wimoweh"?
>
> If
> http://filthychoice.blogspot.com/2006/04/mbubewimowehlion-sleeps-tonight.html
> is to be believed, it's a case of mis-heard lyrics:
>
> "In the early 50's Pete Seeger heard the record from a friend and
> transcribed what he thought were the lyrics, turning Uyimbube to
> Wimoweh. With his controversial folk group they recorded the song as
> Wimoweh which would become one of their most popular songs."

Thanks. I see that Seeger "In 1955 Seeger was brought
before the House of Un-American Activities Committee and his
testimony resulted in his being blacklisted for 17 years
(and not officially cleared on charges of contempt until
1962):
http://www.answers.com/Pete+Seeger?cat=entertainment&gwp=13&method=2

I wonder if we can get a House of Un-Mozilla Activities
Committee?

The Real Bev

Dec 4, 2007, 1:33:50 AM12/4/07
Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* The Real Bev wrote

>> squaredancer wrote:

>>> dunno - that song is ancient and, IIRC an "african native"
>
> Actually, it's not a "traditional" piece, although most people
> probably think it is. It was written and recorded in 1939 by a South
> African named Solomon Linda.
> (is that
>>> politically correct??) song, translated into a popular hit... 60's
>>> or 70's must have been!
>
>> The Tokens, 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'. Early 60s.

I just saw a thing on PBS last night with the Tokens singing that. Old
guys. Very different from the record, hard to tell if they were
lip-syncing to SOMETHING that certainly sounded like them. Hope they
did it themselves just in case somebody's voice failed on stage. Still
sounded good.

I've got some Eddy/Nelson CDs and mp3s, but most of our vinyl is
classical. My mom had a lot of original cast show tunes which I am
assured are worth roughly 2 for a quarter in GOOD condition. Somebody
on ebay was selling a set of 4 (My Fair Lady, South Pacific...) for $10
including shipping. Damn. I'd hoped that more people wanted them.

>> Any other grownups in the group?
>
> Yup. Sticking with just the instrumentalists, do you remember
> Bill Doggett, Noble "Thin Man" Watts, Bill Justis, Link Wray, Lee
> Allen, The Viscounts, and The Champs, just to name a few?

Oops. Either before or after my time :-(

Why should I be tarred with the epithet "loony" merely
because I have a pet halibut? --Monty Python

Ed Mullen

Dec 4, 2007, 11:25:11 AM12/4/07
The Real Bev wrote:
> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> On 03.12.2007 19:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter
>> Potamus the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
>>> btw: what the hell is a "a-wimoweh"?
>>
>> dunno - that song is ancient and, IIRC an "african native" (is that
>> politically correct??) song, translated into a popular hit... 60's or
>> 70's must have been!
>
> The Tokens, 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'. Early 60s. A lot of South
> African music (not that I've heard all that much) sounds like that. Nice.

Not the definitive collection but a sampling of different versions
through the years:

http://edmullen.net/temp/temp.php

The files are still uploading (at 11:30 AM EST) but should all be there
in about 10 minutes.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 4, 2007, 12:22:24 PM12/4/07
Ed Mullen wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> On 03.12.2007 19:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter
>>> Potamus the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
>>> dunno - that song is ancient and, IIRC an "african native" (is that
>>> politically correct??) song, translated into a popular hit... 60's or
>>> 70's must have been!
>> The Tokens, 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'. Early 60s. A lot of South
>> African music (not that I've heard all that much) sounds like that. Nice.
>
> Not the definitive collection but a sampling of different versions
> through the years:
>
> http://edmullen.net/temp/temp.php
>
> The files are still uploading (at 11:30 AM EST) but should all be there
> in about 10 minutes.

nice collection Ed. You forgot one, by REM:
http://www.wasone.com/mp3player/tracks/REM%20-%20The%20Lion%20Sleeps%20Tonight.mp3

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 4, 2007, 12:23:18 PM12/4/07
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> The Tokens, 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'. Early 60s. A lot of South
>>> African music (not that I've heard all that much) sounds like that. Nice.
>> Not the definitive collection but a sampling of different versions
>> through the years:
>>
>> http://edmullen.net/temp/temp.php
>>
>> The files are still uploading (at 11:30 AM EST) but should all be there
>> in about 10 minutes.
>>

> nice collection Ed. You forgot one, by REM:
> http://www.wasone.com/mp3player/tracks/REM%20-%20The%20Lion%20Sleeps%20Tonight.mp3

Ooops, guess I'll get banned from this group now.

squaredancer

Dec 4, 2007, 3:11:42 PM12/4/07
On 04.12.2007 17:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
generate the following:? :
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>

>>> On 03.12.2007 19:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter
>>> Potamus the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

>>> dunno - that song is ancient and, IIRC an "african native" (is that
>>> politically correct??) song, translated into a popular hit... 60's or
>>> 70's must have been!
>>>
>> The Tokens, 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'. Early 60s. A lot of South
>> African music (not that I've heard all that much) sounds like that. Nice.
>>

> Not the definitive collection but a sampling of different versions
> through the years:
>
> http://edmullen.net/temp/temp.php
>
> The files are still uploading (at 11:30 AM EST) but should all be there
> in about 10 minutes.

good idea, Ed, as I had plugin-probs, trying to play the tunes at amazon!

But *BE WARNED* - if you put Multimedia links anywhere here, you will
get yourself banned!

reg

squaredancer

Dec 4, 2007, 3:14:10 PM12/4/07
On 04.12.2007 18:23, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Not the definitive collection but a sampling of different versions
>>> through the years:
>>>
>>> http://edmullen.net/temp/temp.php
>>>
>>> The files are still uploading (at 11:30 AM EST) but should all be there
>>> in about 10 minutes.
>>>

>> nice collection Ed. You forgot one, by REM:
>> http://www.wasone.com/mp3player/tracks/REM%20-%20The%20Lion%20Sleeps%20Tonight.mp3
>>

> Ooops, guess I'll get banned from this group now.

*lol* but AFTER Ed has been sent to hell!

reg

squaredancer

Dec 4, 2007, 3:45:54 PM12/4/07
On 04.12.2007 17:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
generate the following:? :
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>

>>> On 03.12.2007 19:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter
>>> Potamus the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

>>> dunno - that song is ancient and, IIRC an "african native" (is that
>>> politically correct??) song, translated into a popular hit... 60's or
>>> 70's must have been!
>>>
>> The Tokens, 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'. Early 60s. A lot of South
>> African music (not that I've heard all that much) sounds like that. Nice.
>>

> Not the definitive collection but a sampling of different versions
> through the years:
>
> http://edmullen.net/temp/temp.php
>
> The files are still uploading (at 11:30 AM EST) but should all be there
> in about 10 minutes.

I'm not too certain, but I seem to remember that Rolf Harris (an
australian) made the song real popular in GB... anyone know for sure??

reg

The Real Bev

Dec 4, 2007, 9:54:22 PM12/4/07
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Not the definitive collection but a sampling of different versions
> through the years:
>
> http://edmullen.net/temp/temp.php
>
> The files are still uploading (at 11:30 AM EST) but should all be there
> in about 10 minutes.

Thanks! Only took 4, didn't want to be piggish!

The people who don't know what they're doing and the people who
don't realize it are generally the same people." -- DAbel

The Real Bev

Dec 4, 2007, 9:57:02 PM12/4/07
squaredancer wrote:

>> http://edmullen.net/temp/temp.php
>>
>> The files are still uploading (at 11:30 AM EST) but should all be there
>> in about 10 minutes.
>
> good idea, Ed, as I had plugin-probs, trying to play the tunes at amazon!
>
> But *BE WARNED* - if you put Multimedia links anywhere here, you will
> get yourself banned!

I had to remove the .wma extensions in order to play them with xmms.

"I am working for the time when unqualified blacks, browns and
women join the unqualified men in running our government"
-- Cissy Farenthold

squaredancer

Dec 5, 2007, 9:33:22 AM12/5/07
On 05.12.2007 03:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
to generate the following:? :
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>

>> Not the definitive collection but a sampling of different versions
>> through the years:
>>
>> http://edmullen.net/temp/temp.php
>>
>> The files are still uploading (at 11:30 AM EST) but should all be there
>> in about 10 minutes.
>>

> Thanks! Only took 4, didn't want to be piggish!

soso - *THAT'S* where they went to.....

reg

Ed Mullen

Dec 5, 2007, 9:34:25 PM12/5/07

Been there already. They threw me out.

Sex: In America an obsession. In other parts of the world a fact. -
Marlene Dietrich

Ed Mullen

Dec 5, 2007, 9:35:22 PM12/5/07
The Real Bev wrote:
> squaredancer wrote:
>
>>> http://edmullen.net/temp/temp.php
>>>
>>> The files are still uploading (at 11:30 AM EST) but should all be
>>> there in about 10 minutes.
>>
>> good idea, Ed, as I had plugin-probs, trying to play the tunes at amazon!
>>
>> But *BE WARNED* - if you put Multimedia links anywhere here, you will
>> get yourself banned!
>
> I had to remove the .wma extensions in order to play them with xmms.

Uh, WHAT .wma extensions?

Ed Mullen

Dec 5, 2007, 9:36:12 PM12/5/07

I remember Rolf Harris (Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport!) but I never knew
he did this song.

The Real Bev

Dec 5, 2007, 10:23:11 PM12/5/07
Ed Mullen wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> good idea, Ed, as I had plugin-probs, trying to play the tunes at amazon!
>>>
>>> But *BE WARNED* - if you put Multimedia links anywhere here, you will
>>> get yourself banned!
>>
>> I had to remove the .wma extensions in order to play them with xmms.
>
> Uh, WHAT .wma extensions?

On your site the files were shown as .mp3 but when they downloaded they
downloaded as .mp3.wma. I blame Gate$.

"I don't need instructions, I have a hammer."
-- T.W. Wier

squaredancer

Dec 6, 2007, 6:13:30 AM12/6/07
On 06.12.2007 04:23, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
to generate the following:? :
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>

>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I had to remove the .wma extensions in order to play them with xmms.
>>>
>> Uh, WHAT .wma extensions?
>>

> On your site the files were shown as .mp3 but when they downloaded they
> downloaded as .mp3.wma. I blame Gate$.

hmmmm - Bill Gates ?? M$ ?? WMA ??

*W*ith *M*icrosoft *A*proval

reg

squaredancer

Dec 6, 2007, 6:36:59 AM12/6/07
On 06.12.2007 03:36, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to

did a Google on him - thousands of hits and links to soundtracks, but
the majority is 404'ed.

I also googled Wimoweh... here's one you might like (a youtube video)
by Karl Denver ANCIENT...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22wimoweh%22&btnG=Search

still searching!

reg

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 6, 2007, 10:59:56 AM12/6/07
The Real Bev wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I had to remove the .wma extensions in order to play them with xmms.
>> Uh, WHAT .wma extensions?
>
> On your site the files were shown as .mp3 but when they downloaded they
> downloaded as .mp3.wma. I blame Gate$.

Ed, Bev . . . both of you should be banned from this group.
According to Chris, you both are guilty of participating
in file-sharing and downloading.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

squaredancer

Dec 6, 2007, 11:06:28 AM12/6/07
On 06.12.2007 16:59, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Uh, WHAT .wma extensions?
>>>
>> On your site the files were shown as .mp3 but when they downloaded they
>> downloaded as .mp3.wma. I blame Gate$.
>>

> Ed, Bev . . . both of you should be banned from this group.
> According to Chris, you both are guilty of participating
> in file-sharing and downloading.

Peter - I've just looked at your sig! Please *REMOVE* that file-sharing URL.
thankyou

reg

squaredancer

Dec 6, 2007, 11:02:01 AM12/6/07
On 06.12.2007 16:59, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Uh, WHAT .wma extensions?
>>>
>> On your site the files were shown as .mp3 but when they downloaded they
>> downloaded as .mp3.wma. I blame Gate$.
>>

> Ed, Bev . . . both of you should be banned from this group.
> According to Chris, you both are guilty of participating
> in file-sharing and downloading.

yes, I agree in full (and in accordance with gerv - neither were/are Moz
workers), but Ed has gone of his own - disgusted - accord... we'll have
to do some intimidation re: Bev :-D

reg

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 6, 2007, 11:11:43 AM12/6/07

and lets not forget its not contributing to the Mozilla Project.

The Real Bev

Dec 6, 2007, 8:22:46 PM12/6/07
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Uh, WHAT .wma extensions?
>>
>> On your site the files were shown as .mp3 but when they downloaded they
>> downloaded as .mp3.wma. I blame Gate$.
>
> Ed, Bev . . . both of you should be banned from this group.
> According to Chris, you both are guilty of participating
> in file-sharing and downloading.

This room is for arguments only. If you want abuse you'll have to use
the multimedia room down the hall.

I think it would be cool to ban in ALL newsgroups any discussion of
appropriate discussion subjects, especially in groups where the
convention is to include ALL previous postings in each post.

BTW, I'm eating a large head of broccoli microwaved for 5 minutes and
then sprinkled with fresh basil and rosemary, parmesan and romano
cheese, olive oil, other Italian seasonings made up of whatever I feel
like making and a little salt. Bush the Elder was full of it. I also
discovered that my camera came with a 16-meg SD card along with the
2-gig card so thoughtfully provided by Costco. In an emergency I can
take 5 more pictures. And it's going to rain tonight.

Q: How many lawyers does it take to grease a combine?
A: One, if you feed him in real slow.

The Real Bev

Dec 6, 2007, 8:32:26 PM12/6/07
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:

>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>>
>>> Ed, Bev . . . both of you should be banned from this group.
>>> According to Chris, you both are guilty of participating
>>> in file-sharing and downloading.

Remember 'The Ghost and the Darkness'? Not every lion sleeps tonight.
Last I heard, neither downloading nor file-sharing was illegal per se.

>> yes, I agree in full (and in accordance with gerv - neither were/are Moz
>> workers), but Ed has gone of his own - disgusted - accord... we'll have
>> to do some intimidation re: Bev :-D

Take your best shot, loser!

> and lets not forget its not contributing to the Mozilla Project.

Look, gentlemen, I've been offering suggestions to Mozilla et al. ever
since it was Mosaic. The world is poorer for every one that's been
ignored. I'm pretty sure they don't need money, google has enough for
everybody except Gate$ and he doesn't deserve any anyway.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 6, 2007, 8:49:46 PM12/6/07
The Real Bev wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>
>> squaredancer wrote:

> Remember 'The Ghost and the Darkness'? Not every lion sleeps tonight.
> Last I heard, neither downloading nor file-sharing was illegal per se.

if you've been following what been happening, according to
the head moderator, file-sharing and downloading is not
permitted on these newsgroups.

The Real Bev

Dec 6, 2007, 9:53:28 PM12/6/07
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>> Remember 'The Ghost and the Darkness'? Not every lion sleeps tonight.
>> Last I heard, neither downloading nor file-sharing was illegal per se.
>
> if you've been following what been happening, according to
> the head moderator, file-sharing and downloading is not
> permitted on these newsgroups.

I know. I was threatening the whiners with being eaten alive by lions.
There is always a downside.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
He's your god. They're your rules. *You* burn in hell!

Ken Whiton

Dec 7, 2007, 2:17:52 AM12/7/07
*-* On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:22:12 -0800,
*-* In Article Y6udndqMCddtbcna...@mozilla.org,

*-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote
*-* About Re: ESPN360 Extension

> Ken Whiton wrote:
>> *-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote

>> [ ... ]

>>> btw: what the hell is a "a-wimoweh"?

>> If
>> http://filthychoice.blogspot.com/2006/04/mbubewimowehlion-sleeps-tonight.html
>> is to be believed, it's a case of mis-heard lyrics:

>> "In the early 50's Pete Seeger heard the record from a friend and
>> transcribed what he thought were the lyrics, turning Uyimbube to
>> Wimoweh. With his controversial folk group they recorded the song
>> as Wimoweh which would become one of their most popular songs."

> Thanks.

You're welcome.

Speaking of music, and considering the season, are you familiar
with a song named "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas"?

Ken Whiton

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

Ken Whiton

Dec 7, 2007, 2:17:58 AM12/7/07
*-* On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:33:50 -0800,
*-* In Article UaGdnTJcJ5lNacna...@mozilla.org,

*-* The Real Bev wrote
*-* About Re: ESPN360 Extension

> Ken Whiton wrote:

>> *-* The Real Bev wrote

[ ... ]

>>> The Tokens, 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'. Early 60s.

> I just saw a thing on PBS last night with the Tokens singing that.

It was probably "Doo Wop Love Songs" the new fund-raising special
they're debuting this month. I taped it Saturday night and have
watched about half of it so far.

> Old guys.

Don't forget, that record came out in 1961. They're 46 years
older now than they were then (Aren't we all?).

> Very different from the record,

There are at least two likely explanations for that:

1. Many of those old groups (those that are even still around,
that is) have gone through personnel changes over the years.
There's a good chance that they have a different lead singer
now than they did then.

2. After 46 years none of them (whether original or replacement)
is likely to have the vocal range they did back then. They
probably can't reach the same high notes they used to.

> hard to tell if they were
> lip-syncing to SOMETHING that certainly sounded like them. Hope
> they did it themselves just in case somebody's voice failed on
> stage. Still sounded good.

From what I know of those shows, they're performed live, not
lip-synched.

> I've got some Eddy/Nelson CDs and mp3s, but most of our vinyl is
> classical. My mom had a lot of original cast show tunes which I am
> assured are worth roughly 2 for a quarter in GOOD condition.
> Somebody on ebay was selling a set of 4 (My Fair Lady, South
> Pacific...) for $10 including shipping. Damn. I'd hoped that more
> people wanted them.

>>> Any other grownups in the group?

>> Yup. Sticking with just the instrumentalists, do you
>> remember Bill Doggett, Noble "Thin Man" Watts, Bill Justis, Link
>> Wray, Lee Allen, The Viscounts, and The Champs, just to name a few?

> Oops. Either before or after my time :-(

All of them had hit records between 1956 and 1960, as did Sandy
Nelson and Duane Eddy, I thought that since you were familiar with
those two you might also know of some of their contempoaries.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 7, 2007, 3:35:21 AM12/7/07
Ken Whiton wrote:
> Speaking of music, and considering the season, are you familiar
> with a song named "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas"?

Sung by little Gayla Peevey
{http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Want_a_Hippopotamus_for_Christmas}.
Oh yes, I hear that song several times a week, from about
now until Christmas.

are you trying to get me into trouble by having me post an
"iframe" to that song? ;-)

So instead, I'm going to post the lyrics instead. Hi hope
this doesn't violate any newsgroup rules here. I know this
isn't contributing to the Mozilla Project, but, there's been
a lot of anger and hosility within this newsgroup lately, so
here:

I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
Don't want a doll, no dinky Tinker Toy
I want a hippopotamus to play with and enjoy

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
I don't think Santa Claus will mind, do you?
He won't have to use our dirty chimney flue
Just bring him through the front door, that's the easy thing
to do

I can see me now on Christmas morning, creeping down the stairs
Oh what joy and what surprise when I open up my eyes
To see a hippo hero standing there

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
No crocodiles, no rhinoceroses
I only like hippopotamuses
And hippopotamuses like me too

Mom says the hippo would eat me up, but then
Teacher says a hippo is a vegeterian

There's lots of room for him in our two-car garage
I'd feed him there and wash him there and give him his massage
I can see me now on Christmas morning, creeping down the stairs
Oh what joy and what surprise when I open up my eyes
To see a hippo hero standing there

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
No crocodiles or rhinoceroseses
I only like hippopotamuseses
And hippopotamuses like me too!

I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas is a Christmas novelty
song written by John Coctoasten and performed by Gayla
Peevey in 1953. It is a Dr. Demento Christmas staple, and is
currently available on Dr. Demento's The Greatest Novelty
Records of All Time Vol. 6: Christmas.

Here's an interesting fact about the popular Christmas
hippopotamus song - in 1953 a ten-year-old girl from
Oklahoma, Gayla Peevey sang the song as a way to raise money
for the Oklahoma City Zoo's first hippopotamus. It became a
nationwide hit after that, although John Rox wrote the song
"I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" in 1950! The song was
not written specifically for the Oklahoma zoo, its just that
when they needed the hippo the song came out so the
Christmas hippopotamus song just fitted in.

As I said, I would post an "iframe" to the song, but I'm
sure I'd be banned from this group if I did, so I'm afraid I
can't. Chris I would just love to get me banned out of this
group ;-)

squaredancer

Dec 7, 2007, 6:12:20 AM12/7/07
On 07.12.2007 03:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
to generate the following:? :
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>

>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> Remember 'The Ghost and the Darkness'? Not every lion sleeps tonight.
>>> Last I heard, neither downloading nor file-sharing was illegal per se.
>>>
>> if you've been following what been happening, according to
>> the head moderator, file-sharing and downloading is not
>> permitted on these newsgroups.
>>

> I know. I was threatening the whiners with being eaten alive by lions.
> There is always a downside.

hmmmm - the "downside" of being eaten by a lion??
shit happens, and you end up getting RE-eaten by a dung beetle! *lol*

reg

squaredancer

Dec 7, 2007, 6:14:17 AM12/7/07
On 07.12.2007 02:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
to generate the following:? :

Bush, the Elder, was full of salt?? in Europe it's called crap...

reg

The Real Bev

Dec 7, 2007, 11:14:32 AM12/7/07
squaredancer wrote:

> On 07.12.2007 02:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
> to generate the following:? :

>> BTW, I'm eating a large head of broccoli microwaved for 5 minutes and

>> then sprinkled with fresh basil and rosemary, parmesan and romano
>> cheese, olive oil, other Italian seasonings made up of whatever I feel
>> like making and a little salt. Bush the Elder was full of it. I also
>> discovered that my camera came with a 16-meg SD card along with the
>> 2-gig card so thoughtfully provided by Costco. In an emergency I can
>> take 5 more pictures. And it's going to rain tonight.
>
> Bush, the Elder, was full of salt?? in Europe it's called crap...

I'm sorry, I thought you knew that while in the context above "it" is
never actually defined, everyone knows that "it" represents "sh*t",
which is, of course, unprintable in polite society.

Oh, wait...

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
"One's chances of winning the lottery are not appreciably
improved by actually buying a ticket."

sean bean

Dec 7, 2007, 6:00:51 PM12/7/07
The Real Bev wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I had to remove the .wma extensions in order to play them with xmms.
>>
>> Uh, WHAT .wma extensions?
>
> On your site the files were shown as .mp3 but when they downloaded they
> downloaded as .mp3.wma. I blame Gate$.

actually... that's a problem on your computer... adding the .wma...
can't recollect how to resolve it though...

Ken Whiton

Dec 8, 2007, 12:50:57 AM12/8/07
*-* On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 00:35:21 -0800,
*-* In Article UomdnY3ZUNQ3mcTa...@mozilla.org,

*-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote
*-* About Re: ESPN360 Extension

> Ken Whiton wrote:

>> Speaking of music, and considering the season, are you
>> familiar with a song named "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas"?

That's the one.

> Oh yes, I hear that song several times a week, from about now until
> Christmas.

I have it on a Christmas/seasonal CD, so I can hear it any time I
want (which is several times a week at this time of year).

> are you trying to get me into trouble by having me post an "iframe"
> to that song? ;-)

No. AFAIK, this is the first time I'd ever seen/heard the term
"iframe", and until I read your post illustrating its use earlier this
evening I didn't really know what it meant. My intent, especially if
you weren't familiar with it, was simply to mention that there are
several videos on YouTube that use it as the audio track.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dec 8, 2007, 12:15:57 PM12/8/07

go check out the mozilla.test newsgroup. Two things are
there for you.