Re: Secnews.Netscape.com

Jay Garcia

Aug 19, 2007, 3:40:29 PM8/19/07
On 19.08.2007 13:29, Chris Ilias wrote:

--- Original Message ---

> On 8/18/07 9:48 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:
>> On 18.08.2007 11:27, BeeNeR wrote:

Please reply to the one that asked about renaming, not a post that
explains the reason why the topic was created as it confuses other
readers, thanks.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Chris Ilias

Aug 19, 2007, 3:50:28 PM8/19/07
On 8/19/07 3:40 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

I wasn't posting a notice. I was correcting you. BeeNeR was replying to
a post about renaming secnews, not about using SeaMonkey to access secnews.
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Jay Garcia

Aug 19, 2007, 3:58:44 PM8/19/07
On 19.08.2007 14:50, Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 8/19/07 3:40 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:
>> On 19.08.2007 13:29, Chris Ilias wrote:

I was not wrong as the question was asked. It was a general question,
not specific to the renaming issue and I replied pointing the user to
read the OP - original post - in order to get a complete handle on the
subject. If the poster would have been specific to the renaming OT then
I may have, or not have, replied accordingly and set the f'up to .general.

Chris Ilias

Aug 19, 2007, 4:16:51 PM8/19/07
On 8/19/07 3:58 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

> On 19.08.2007 14:50, Chris Ilias wrote:

BeeNeR quoted the message he/she was replying to. You completely ignored
the context.

Jay Garcia

Aug 19, 2007, 8:09:15 PM8/19/07

Aug 19, 2007, 8:48:04 PM8/19/07
On 8/19/07 8:09 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

If it's wrong, don't say you didn't miss a thing. Your answer was wrong,
because you missed the context. What's more important, was correcting
your false impression to others, that the secnews renaming discussion
was on-topic, as if the OP justified not taking the new discussion
somewhere more appropriate.

Irwin Greenwald

Aug 19, 2007, 9:15:03 PM8/19/07
On 8/19/2007 Jay Garcia wrote:
> If it's wrong, then it's wrong, so what, he got what he came for?

Jay, you have to understand that that's no longer important around here!

--
Irwin

Jay Garcia

Aug 19, 2007, 9:31:03 PM8/19/07
On 19.08.2007 20:15, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>> If it's wrong, then it's wrong, so what, he got what he came for?
>
> Jay, you have to understand that that's no longer important around here!

Well, arguing the point isn't going to solve anything, I feel that I was
correct, still do, and Chris feels otherwise, so be it, time to move on.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 20, 2007, 7:40:26 PM8/20/07

No, Jay was correct. BeeNer asked: "Out of curiosity - why

are we discussing secnews.netscape.com in this news group?"

And Jay correctly replied: "Someone asked how to configure

SM to access secnews, that's why. Read the OP."

> What's more important, was correcting

> your false impression to others, that the secnews renaming discussion
> was on-topic, as if the OP justified not taking the new discussion
> somewhere more appropriate.

You should be sending one of those offensive threatening
cancellation message to BeeNer for going off topic.

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Chris Ilias

Aug 20, 2007, 8:02:49 PM8/20/07
On 8/20/07 7:40 PM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> If it's wrong, don't say you didn't miss a thing. Your answer was
>> wrong, because you missed the context.
>
> No, Jay was correct. BeeNer asked: "Out of curiosity - why are we
> discussing secnews.netscape.com in this news group?"
>
> And Jay correctly replied: "Someone asked how to configure SM to access
> secnews, that's why. Read the OP."

I didn't say Jay ignored what BeeNer wrote. I said he ignored what
BeeNer quoted (ie. the context). ;-)

>> What's more important, was correcting your false impression to others,
>> that the secnews renaming discussion was on-topic, as if the OP
>> justified not taking the new discussion somewhere more appropriate.
>
> You should be sending one of those offensive threatening cancellation
> message to BeeNer for going off topic.

Well, if he/she shows a pattern of often going to OT, and has posted a
high volume of OT message, he/she will get a warning.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 20, 2007, 8:31:52 PM8/20/07

you just can't accept the fact that maybe, just maybe,
you're wrong, can you?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 20, 2007, 8:34:19 PM8/20/07
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Chris Ilias wrote:

>>> No, Jay was correct. BeeNer asked: "Out of curiosity - why are we
>>> discussing secnews.netscape.com in this news group?"
>>>
>>> And Jay correctly replied: "Someone asked how to configure SM to access
>>> secnews, that's why. Read the OP."
>> I didn't say Jay ignored what BeeNer wrote. I said he ignored what
>> BeeNer quoted (ie. the context). ;-)

>>> You should be sending one of those offensive threatening cancellation
>>> message to BeeNer for going off topic.
>> Well, if he/she shows a pattern of often going to OT, and has posted a
>> high volume of OT message, he/she will get a warning.
>
> you just can't accept the fact that maybe, just maybe,
> you're wrong, can you?

. . . I guess not, cause Chris Ilias has to be right on
everything.

Chris Ilias

Aug 20, 2007, 8:59:30 PM8/20/07
On 8/20/07 8:31 PM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly:

> Chris Ilias wrote:

>>> No, Jay was correct. BeeNer asked: "Out of curiosity - why are we
>>> discussing secnews.netscape.com in this news group?"
>>>
>>> And Jay correctly replied: "Someone asked how to configure SM to
>>> access secnews, that's why. Read the OP."
>>
>> I didn't say Jay ignored what BeeNer wrote. I said he ignored what
>> BeeNer quoted (ie. the context). ;-)

>>> You should be sending one of those offensive threatening cancellation
>>> message to BeeNer for going off topic.
>>
>> Well, if he/she shows a pattern of often going to OT, and has posted a
>> high volume of OT message, he/she will get a warning.
>
> you just can't accept the fact that maybe, just maybe, you're wrong, can
> you?

Where was that attitude, when everyone was telling you that devs read
the support newsgroups; and you refused to accept it, even when you were
proven wrong? :-)

If you honestly feel that way about me, then why do you bother arguing
with me?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 20, 2007, 9:11:27 PM8/20/07

you're the one who kept the arguing going

Jay Garcia

Aug 20, 2007, 9:19:28 PM8/20/07

Aug 20, 2007, 9:29:00 PM8/20/07

Aug 20, 2007, 9:32:57 PM8/20/07
On 8/20/07 9:11 PM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly:

Even when you were arguing with other people? ;-)

Chris Ilias

Aug 20, 2007, 10:04:15 PM8/20/07
On 8/20/07 9:29 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

> On 20.08.2007 19:02, Chris Ilias wrote:

I assume you meant to say that BeeNer did not quote the original post.

> But ... he said "out of
> curiosity" and THAT is what prompted my reply.

I don't see how "out of curiosity" changes the context. To me, it states
the reason for enquiring. And I don't the reason for your reply as being
important. As I've always understood it, he asked a question, so you
answered. Simple as that.

> I know what he quoted and
> I know what the OP was and ignored nothing. The other "tip-off" that
> prompted my reply was " ... in this group" as if he was wondering why we
> were discussing another server on THIS server.

Again, I don't see how "...in this group" changes what discussion he/she
was referring to. Both discussions were about secnews. One was on-topic.

> My response was a basic
> response to his basic question, no more no less.

I agree with you there. But I was clarifying your false impression to

others, that the secnews renaming discussion was on-topic, as if the OP
justified not taking the new discussion somewhere more appropriate.

> I didn't make a

> determination that his quote and question was in response to just that
> one point concerning secnews. My reply, to most anyone, should have been
> recognized as a response in general to his perceived general question.
> My reply wasn't condescending or anything like that like some folks
> would reply but you already know that don't you ...
>
> Trivial .. move on.

I haven't read anything from anyone, saying your reply was
condescending. That's not my concern.

Jay Garcia

Aug 20, 2007, 10:27:51 PM8/20/07

Aug 20, 2007, 11:22:02 PM8/20/07
On 8/20/07 10:27 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

> On 20.08.2007 21:04, Chris Ilias wrote:
>
> You see what's in your own mind obviously even though I told you why I
> answered the way I did. And yes, I meant "did not quote". I saw it as a
> general question, not specific and I responded in general. And there was
> no false impression at all as I was not responding to any single issue
> in the discussion.

Why do you think he was curious? What do you think prompted the curiousity?

> And besides, the entire thread was on-topic in essence simply because
> there was no f'up set and no OT notation made.

I'm going to need you to explain that sentence with more detail. Are you
saying that just because a message doesn't have a follow-up set, and
isn't marked as OT, that means it's not OT? You're telling me threads
that start on-topic can't veer off-topic?

> Since his reply was
> on-topic, so was my reply and since my reply was on-topic, I had no
> reason to OT it and set a f'up.

No-one said BeeNer's message, your reply to BeeNer was OT. Those were
not nominated as OT messages for the database. I said that discussion
about renaming secnews was off-topic. Each individual message is
reviewed, based on content and context.

> Therefore, his question seemingly was a
> question about why secnews is being discussed. Had the thread been split
> off with a specific notation as to the renaming issue, my reply, if any,
> would have been specific to that issue. Remember, he said "why is
> secnews being discussed", not "why is the renaming issue being discussed".

Geez, Jay, how many times do I have to say that I don't think you
ignored what BeeNer wrote, but the context. You can quote BeeNer until
kingdom come.

Irwin Greenwald

Aug 21, 2007, 12:18:17 AM8/21/07
On 8/20/2007 Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> you're the one who kept the arguing going

Hippo, that is bull shit! Your refusal to accept the proof presented by
others led to the longest, stupidest thread I have ever seen in these
groups. Now you seem to want to resume it!

Ed Mullen

Aug 21, 2007, 12:45:22 AM8/21/07

I'm not posting regularly anymore, although I do scan the group (and the
SeaMonkey one) daily, but it seems to me that this exchange is
indicative of why my participation waned. On one hand, it's nice to be
able to engage in the give-and-take, on the other hand, sigh. For two
people of such repute to be having this kind of argument, which appears
to me to derive from the new era ... ah well.

I never had a problem with OT, silly, inane, rude, etc. posts on Mozilla
groups. It was free-flowing, a tad wild at times, but mostly
intelligent, unfettered, and amusing. Part and parcel of the venue. I
learned how to visually scan, hit "R", "space bar" and move on. None of
it ever troubled me, nor interfered with my enjoyment of, nor ability to
reap knowledge from, the various groups. To me, nothing was wrong then.
To me, now, everything is wrong.

Now it's become tedious. Restricted, even bordering on vindictive from
a policy/management perspective. And very "not fun" with all this
over-management. Sad. Just my three cents but it has changed the entire
experience. And the Mozilla "thing" was just that: An experience,
different, refreshing, professional and wild ... it was fun. I left
when the "fun" dissipated.

Every organization needs to be cognizant of its culture, formal and
informal. In rejecting aspects of the culture an organization (Mozilla)
dis-enfranchises part of its loyal constituency. How many people depend
on me for support? How many people rely on me, and will follow my lead,
when I tell them to change their software? Only I know the answer to
that question. Now, how many people do all of "my" people affect? What
is the extent of the ripple effect in this? Sure, tick off Ed? Who
cares? Tick off Ed and his "x" advisees? Ah, so what? Does no one
involved in this get the ripple effect? Geez. It's marketing 101. Ed
tells 20 people to dump [some Moz-based product]. Those 20 each tell 5
people. Who each tell 5 people ... who ...

Ah well, Brave New World. I find other interesting pursuits to amuse
and interest me. My apologies to anyone who might miss whatever value I
may have provided here, and to anyone who finds this post an intrusion.
But I need to be entertained to spend my time volunteering. This (the
"new" paradigm for managing the groups) is just (to me) over-management
to the point of boredom (at best) or suicide (at worst).

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 21, 2007, 2:06:10 AM8/21/07
Irwin Greenwald wrote:
> On 8/20/2007 Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> you're the one who kept the arguing going
>
> Hippo, that is bull shit! Your refusal to accept the proof presented by
> others led to the longest, stupidest thread I have ever seen in these
> groups. Now you seem to want to resume it!

no, you're the ones who kept the arguing going. All I did
was ask for proof, and you people refused to provide it.

Christopher Jahn

Aug 21, 2007, 9:14:51 AM8/21/07
Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote in

> On 8/20/07 7:40 PM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke
> thusly:
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>>> If it's wrong, don't say you didn't miss a thing. Your
>>> answer was wrong, because you missed the context.
>>
>> No, Jay was correct. BeeNer asked: "Out of curiosity - why
>> are we discussing secnews.netscape.com in this news group?"
>>
>> And Jay correctly replied: "Someone asked how to configure SM
>> to access secnews, that's why. Read the OP."
>
> I didn't say Jay ignored what BeeNer wrote. I said he ignored
> what BeeNer quoted (ie. the context). ;-)

It doesn't matter what BeeNer quoted in this case. BeeNer asked
how the topic was raised, and Jay told him.

Sheesh, get some comprehension skills!

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

Nice computers don't go down...

Christopher Jahn

Aug 21, 2007, 9:20:35 AM8/21/07

>> Therefore, his question seemingly was a
>> question about why secnews is being discussed. Had the thread
>> been split off with a specific notation as to the renaming
>> issue, my reply, if any, would have been specific to that
>> issue. Remember, he said "why is secnews being discussed",
>> not "why is the renaming issue being discussed".
>
> Geez, Jay, how many times do I have to say that I don't think
> you ignored what BeeNer wrote, but the context. You can quote
> BeeNer until kingdom come.

Context? You really don't know what you're arguing. Must be
something in the water.

Jay answered a question that was asked. "Context" does not enter
into it.

The bottom line is that you were wrong, and Jay was right, and
it's time for you to say "Oh, I get it!" and move on to something
that actually MATTERS.

You don't even have to BELIEVE it.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather
straps!

Jay Garcia

Aug 21, 2007, 9:38:56 AM8/21/07

Aug 21, 2007, 9:45:35 AM8/21/07

Aug 21, 2007, 10:42:55 AM8/21/07

Much appreciated, Jay.

Borrow money from pessimists-they don't expect it back.

Chris Ilias

Aug 21, 2007, 10:46:49 AM8/21/07
On 8/21/07 9:20 AM, _Christopher Jahn_ spoke thusly:

> Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote in
>
>>> Therefore, his question seemingly was a
>>> question about why secnews is being discussed. Had the thread
>>> been split off with a specific notation as to the renaming
>>> issue, my reply, if any, would have been specific to that
>>> issue. Remember, he said "why is secnews being discussed",
>>> not "why is the renaming issue being discussed".
>> Geez, Jay, how many times do I have to say that I don't think
>> you ignored what BeeNer wrote, but the context. You can quote
>> BeeNer until kingdom come.
>
> Context? You really don't know what you're arguing. Must be
> something in the water.
>
> Jay answered a question that was asked. "Context" does not enter
> into it.

It always enters into it. It's common sense to wonder, "why is this
person asking this question?" Especially if it's a general question.

Other news servers are sometimes mentioned in support seamonkey, and
when they come up, we don't see people questioning why it's being
discussed in support.seamonkey. If BeeNer had read the original post, do
you think he/she would have still asked secnews was being discussed?
Whenever someone asks, "why is such and such being discussed here", they
are wondering if the current discussion is on-topic for the newsgroup.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 21, 2007, 11:19:13 AM8/21/07
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 21.08.2007 01:06, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

it should have, yes. But, CI did drop it. He continued it
until he got his way.

> The possible
> violating of a confidence by naming a dev(s) who otherwise may have
> wished to remain incognito would have been a violation of ethics.

ahh, but are there not devs who post under their real name,
for example Robert K in the SM group. You could have posted
those devs, but nobody did. You people just kept going on
and on and on about devs do monitor and/or post.

> If you
> had bothered to privately EMAIL me for instance, I would have named
> those devs for you.

oh, *now* you tell me!

> How would you react to someone posting your REAL
> name when you take great lengths to remain anonymous only to be known by
> your "handle" (just an example, we know who YOU are).

but you already know who I am.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 21, 2007, 11:22:21 AM8/21/07
Chris Ilias wrote:
> If BeeNer had read the original post, do
> you think he/she would have still asked secnews was being discussed?

yes. It depends on where they started the thread at. Maybe
they didn't start at the beginning of the thread. Maybe
they just downloaded it from a certain time period, and that
time period didn't include the beginning of the thread.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 21, 2007, 11:25:24 AM8/21/07
Jay Garcia wrote:
> I, like some others, really enjoy participating in an OT, sometimes
> overdone for sure but nonetheless enjoyable

so, you enjoyed giving me a hard time in that other thread
about developers. ;-)

squaredancer

Aug 21, 2007, 4:04:36 PM8/21/07
On 21.08.2007 03:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
generate the following:? :
@ Jay.... does "thinking it" count??? I'm afraid of getting further OT
blackouts!!

reg

squaredancer

Aug 21, 2007, 4:13:41 PM8/21/07
On 21.08.2007 04:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
generate the following:? :

> On 20.08.2007 21:04, Chris Ilias wrote:

<< snipped junk >>

>> I haven't read anything from anyone, saying your reply was
>> condescending. That's not my concern.
>>

> You see what's in your own mind obviously even though I told you why I
> answered the way I did. And yes, I meant "did not quote". I saw it as a
> general question, not specific and I responded in general. And there was
> no false impression at all as I was not responding to any single issue
> in the discussion.
>
> And besides, the entire thread was on-topic in essence simply because
> there was no f'up set and no OT notation made. Since his reply was
> on-topic, so was my reply and since my reply was on-topic, I had no
> reason to OT it and set a f'up. Therefore, his question seemingly was a
> question about why secnews is being discussed. Had the thread been split
> off with a specific notation as to the renaming issue, my reply, if any,
> would have been specific to that issue. Remember, he said "why is
> secnews being discussed", not "why is the renaming issue being discussed".

Jay - do us all a favour??? look here and bash your head - it will be
far less painfull that talking to Chris I

http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brickwallvc6.jpg

reg

squaredancer

Aug 21, 2007, 4:18:41 PM8/21/07
On 21.08.2007 17:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>
>> I, like some others, really enjoy participating in an OT, sometimes
>> overdone for sure but nonetheless enjoyable
>>

> so, you enjoyed giving me a hard time in that other thread
> about developers. ;-)

yepp, Grant- looked much like SecNews days *LMAO*

reg

squaredancer

Aug 21, 2007, 4:23:13 PM8/21/07
On 21.08.2007 06:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
generate the following:? :

> Jay Garcia wrote:
>
>> On 20.08.2007 21:04, Chris Ilias wrote:

Ed, my canadian Friend - same goes for you as I asked Jay !!!

http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brickwallvc6.jpg

and bash your head! It's Chris I you're trying to convince... forget it!
Power-crazy goons can only be "convinced" after a 5-year, all-out war!
I came to Germany for a solid reason.

reg

squaredancer

Aug 21, 2007, 4:29:40 PM8/21/07
On 21.08.2007 15:14, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Christopher
Jahn to generate the following:? :

> Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote in
>

>> On 8/20/07 7:40 PM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke
>> thusly:

>>> No, Jay was correct. BeeNer asked: "Out of curiosity - why
>>> are we discussing secnews.netscape.com in this news group?"
>>>
>>> And Jay correctly replied: "Someone asked how to configure SM
>>> to access secnews, that's why. Read the OP."
>>>
>> I didn't say Jay ignored what BeeNer wrote. I said he ignored
>> what BeeNer quoted (ie. the context). ;-)
>>

> It doesn't matter what BeeNer quoted in this case. BeeNer asked
> how the topic was raised, and Jay told him.
>
> Sheesh, get some comprehension skills!

Christopher - one of my most serious doubts as to Chris I's competence
as a "Spam Moose" (not of my origin) was founded on his conspicuous
"lack of presence" on these groups! He does *NOT* take the time to read
posts properly and he certainly *does not* take the required time to
digest the contents!
"Lack of comprehension" is due to lack of knowledge, induced by lack of
presence!

My opinion, based on observation.

reg

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 21, 2007, 4:38:30 PM8/21/07

no OT blackouts in the general group. Just in the support ones.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 21, 2007, 4:41:25 PM8/21/07

you're probably not that far off on your observations -- imo

Gus Richter

Aug 21, 2007, 6:39:43 PM8/21/07

WTF? Keep that kind of shit out of here!
You were in the British army stationed in Germany. Messed with the
women, married one and liked it better there than on the Island, stayed
even though the women left you because it's better there than back home.
Don't dish out any other "solid reason crap. Please keep your bigoted,
racially intolerant, superior than thou comments to yourself!

Sad that I am forced to respond to that crap when the essence of what Ed
was saying is what I fully agree with.

--
Gus

squaredancer

Aug 21, 2007, 7:54:00 PM8/21/07
On 22.08.2007 00:39, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Gus Richter to
huch??? the things you know about my life - you must be that CIA fella
that supports Bush and consortium??

reg

Christopher Jahn

Aug 21, 2007, 7:57:41 PM8/21/07

>> Context? You really don't know what you're arguing. Must be
>> something in the water.
>>
>> Jay answered a question that was asked. "Context" does not
>> enter into it.
>
> It always enters into it.

Not the way you're twisting it. Jay answered the question that
was asked; "context" was not an issue. That's your bizarre lack
of sense kicking in.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

Decisions terminate panic.

Chris Ilias

Aug 21, 2007, 8:12:29 PM8/21/07
On 8/21/07 7:57 PM, _Christopher Jahn_ spoke thusly:

> Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote in
>
>>> Context? You really don't know what you're arguing. Must be
>>> something in the water.
>>>
>>> Jay answered a question that was asked. "Context" does not
>>> enter into it.
>> It always enters into it.
>
> Not the way you're twisting it. Jay answered the question that
> was asked; "context" was not an issue. That's your bizarre lack
> of sense kicking in.

I never said he didn't answer the question. I said that it gave a false
impression, about what was on-topic and what wasn't on-topic. If he
considered the context, he would have given a less general answer.

How about you answer my question. :-)

Jay Garcia

Aug 21, 2007, 8:34:49 PM8/21/07
On 21.08.2007 10:19, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>> had bothered to privately EMAIL me for instance, I would have named
>> those devs for you.
>
> oh, *now* you tell me!

Well, you've emailed me about other matters, why not that one?!

>> How would you react to someone posting your REAL
>> name when you take great lengths to remain anonymous only to be known by
>> your "handle" (just an example, we know who YOU are).
>
> but you already know who I am.

That's what I said and it was just an "example".

Jay Garcia

Aug 21, 2007, 8:41:48 PM8/21/07

Aug 21, 2007, 8:42:25 PM8/21/07
On 21.08.2007 10:25, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>> I, like some others, really enjoy participating in an OT, sometimes
>> overdone for sure but nonetheless enjoyable
>
> so, you enjoyed giving me a hard time in that other thread
> about developers. ;-)

Absolutely !!!! 8-)

Jay Garcia

Aug 21, 2007, 8:43:21 PM8/21/07

Aug 21, 2007, 8:57:17 PM8/21/07
On 8/21/07 8:41 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

> On 21.08.2007 19:12, Chris Ilias wrote:

Mention that the discussion veered off-topic. Like I said, the
impression you gave was that the OP justified the discussion about
renaming secnews being in the SeaMonkey newsgroup.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo says BeeNer would still have asked why
secnews was being discussed, even after seeing the original post. Could
you please explain to him, why reading the original post would have
answered BeeNer's question, thus negating the need for asking the question?

Jay Garcia

Aug 21, 2007, 9:37:10 PM8/21/07
On 21.08.2007 19:57, Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 8/21/07 8:41 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:
>> On 21.08.2007 19:12, Chris Ilias wrote:

Peter isn't BeeNer. Subjective opinion at best. Dunno, you'll have to
ask BeeNer if reading the OP answered his question.

The BeeNer asked "why are we discussing secnews on this server", simple
and quite general a question without mention of anything OT or anything
to do with any specific part of the discussion.

The answer was in direct response to this direct and general question
"read the OP". How you read more into that is beyond me. What
impression(s) do you get other than to read the OP to find out?

Go find BeeNer and ask him/her why the question was asked as it's
obvious this debate will be everlasting.

My own thought on the subject as to why the question was asked is quite
basic. We were/are posting ON a Mozilla.org news server no matter how
it's accessed, so he wanted to know why we were discussiing another
server, "secnews". Seems simple to me. But that's "me", I tend to look
at the most basic and general questions and reply with the most basic
and general answer(s) in one line or less. He didn't ask why we were
discussing the renaming, did he? Sure, he just so happened to reply in
that part of thread but that was already covered with a fair
explanation. Also notice that he didn't tender a reply, did he, so I
have to assume that his question was answered correctly and to his
satisfaction. To say otherwise would be argumentative and quite a
stretch to say the least.

You're reading a whole lot that isn't there nor was it intended to be there.

Ed Mullen

Aug 21, 2007, 9:36:39 PM8/21/07
Gus Richter wrote:
> squaredancer wrote:

>> and bash your head! It's Chris I you're trying to convince... forget it!
>> Power-crazy goons can only be "convinced" after a 5-year, all-out war!
>> I came to Germany for a solid reason.
>>
>> reg
>
> WTF? Keep that kind of shit out of here!
> You were in the British army stationed in Germany. Messed with the
> women, married one and liked it better there than on the Island, stayed
> even though the women left you because it's better there than back home.
> Don't dish out any other "solid reason crap. Please keep your bigoted,
> racially intolerant, superior than thou comments to yourself!

Geez, Gus! I think was kinda over the top, reaction-wise, to say the least.

You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

Rinaldi J. Montessi

Aug 21, 2007, 10:09:23 PM8/21/07
Jay Garcia wrote:
----------

> Blacked out in .general ?? You really have to work hard to do that .. ;-)

Good thing I'm not king. I know a couple of threads that would have
gone in the bit bucket by now ;-)

--
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And
vice versa.

Irwin Greenwald

Aug 21, 2007, 10:25:38 PM8/21/07
I was just wondering how many trees would have been wasted if this were
a hard copy medium? Sure a lot of nit pickin' going on lately!

--
Irwin

Chris Ilias

Aug 21, 2007, 10:27:05 PM8/21/07
On 8/21/07 9:37 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

> The BeeNer asked "why are we discussing secnews on this server",

"why are we discussing secnews.netscape.com *in this news group*?"
(bold added by me)

> simple
> and quite general a question without mention of anything OT or anything
> to do with any specific part of the discussion.

<snip>

> My own thought on the subject as to why the question was asked is quite
> basic. We were/are posting ON a Mozilla.org news server no matter how
> it's accessed, so he wanted to know why we were discussiing another
> server, "secnews". Seems simple to me.

But as I said, other news servers are sometimes mentioned in
support.seamonkey, and when they come up, we don't see people
questioning why it's being discussed in support.seamonkey. Whenever

someone asks, "why is such and such being discussed here", they are
wondering if the current discussion is on-topic for the newsgroup.

> Also notice that he didn't tender a reply, did he, so I

> have to assume that his question was answered correctly and to his
> satisfaction. To say otherwise would be argumentative and quite a
> stretch to say the least.

Since it's Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo that disagrees with that, not
me, I want to see his rebuttal to that. :-)

My argument is about the false impression you gave. If reading the
original post (which was on news.mozilla.org, but about another server)
would have prevented BeeNer from asking the question, then it was
something else in that thread, that caused him/her to ask the question,
not simply the fact that it was on news.mozilla.org, but about another
server.

Irwin Greenwald

Aug 21, 2007, 10:27:20 PM8/21/07
On 8/21/2007 5:42 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 21.08.2007 10:25, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

Giving Hippo a hard time is really enjoyable because he takes it so well!

Irwin Greenwald

Aug 21, 2007, 10:30:09 PM8/21/07
On 8/21/2007 Jay Garcia wrote:
> Cheap shot at best, Reg!! Chris has devoted countless hours
> supporting users and has a pretty decent support web site. Sure, we
> argue about things from time to time ... so what?

Well spoken, Jay.

Jay Garcia

Aug 21, 2007, 10:44:48 PM8/21/07

Aug 21, 2007, 10:47:13 PM8/21/07
On 21.08.2007 21:25, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

> I was just wondering how many trees would have been wasted if this were
> a hard copy medium? Sure a lot of nit pickin' going on lately!

Just how far can you go into that forest anyways ?? ;-)

Jay Garcia

Aug 21, 2007, 10:48:23 PM8/21/07
On 21.08.2007 21:27, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>> On 21.08.2007 10:25, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

Just have to take my 100mg Toprol prior to the "hard times". :-)

Chris Ilias

Aug 21, 2007, 10:53:59 PM8/21/07
On 8/21/07 10:44 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

Why else would someone wonder why another news server was being
discussed on news.mozilla.org?

Jay Garcia

Aug 21, 2007, 11:18:29 PM8/21/07

Aug 21, 2007, 11:23:50 PM8/21/07
On 8/21/07 11:18 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

> On 21.08.2007 21:53, Chris Ilias wrote:

I said /why/ did BeeNer ask /why/?
In other words, if he/she didn't think it was OT, what reason would
he/she have to question another news server being discussed on

Jay Garcia

Aug 22, 2007, 12:00:27 AM8/22/07

Aug 22, 2007, 12:04:52 AM8/22/07
On 8/22/07 12:00 AM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

> On 21.08.2007 22:23, Chris Ilias wrote:

What are your guesses? What would you consider to be possible reasons?

Message has been deleted

Daniel

Aug 22, 2007, 6:00:01 AM8/22/07
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 21.08.2007 21:25, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

Half way maximum

But if we're talking paper, we're talking cutting trees down, and if we
start cutting trees from the outside, I guess we would only go a very
little way into the forest.

Daniel

Daniel

Aug 22, 2007, 5:42:54 AM8/22/07
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 21.08.2007 21:25, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

Half way maximum.

but if we're talking cutting trees to make the paper, I'm guessing we
would start at the outside of the forest, therefore only need to go in a
very small amount.

Daniel

Chris Ilias

Aug 22, 2007, 7:21:17 AM8/22/07
On 8/22/07 2:11 AM, _舔冒 spoke thusly:
> In <news:-r2dnUsvC9DaMVbb...@mozilla.org>,

> Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote:
>
>> I said /why/ did BeeNer ask /why/?
>> In other words, if he/she didn't think it was OT, what reason would
>> he/she have to question another news server being discussed on
>> news.mozilla.org?
>
> If BeeNer was already aware that it was OT, then it wouldn't have
> helped for Jay to have pointed out that the thread had gone OT.
>
> Assuming that BeeNer had the OT-ness of the thread in mind when asking
> the question (and you know what they say about "assume" ;) , ISTM the
> question would be best answered by pointing out that the subject had
> come up originally in an on-topic way, which is what Jay did IMO.

This is where the justification part enters. If BeeNer simply accepted
the fact that it was OT, why ask 'what is it doing in m.s.seamonkey'?

Jay Garcia

Aug 22, 2007, 8:38:37 AM8/22/07
On 21.08.2007 23:04, Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 8/22/07 12:00 AM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:
>> On 21.08.2007 22:23, Chris Ilias wrote:

I already stated my guesses many times.

Jay Garcia

Aug 22, 2007, 8:46:07 AM8/22/07

Aug 22, 2007, 8:45:35 AM8/22/07

> On 8/21/07 7:57 PM, _Christopher Jahn_ spoke thusly:

>> Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote in

>>> It always enters into it.
>>
>> Not the way you're twisting it. Jay answered the question
>> that was asked; "context" was not an issue. That's your
>> bizarre lack of sense kicking in.

> I never said he didn't answer the question. I said that it
> gave a false impression, about what was on-topic and what
> wasn't on-topic

1. It didn't give a false impression.
2. The original question WAS on-topic.
3. Answering the question only showed how far off-topic the
discuss had gotten.
4. You are just wrong. Quit being such a huge jackass.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

My father was a good woman.

Jay Garcia

Aug 22, 2007, 8:47:22 AM8/22/07
On 22.08.2007 05:00, Daniel wrote:

>> On 21.08.2007 21:25, Irwin Greenwald wrote:

Right cuz once you pass the halfway point you're on your way OUT .. :-)

> But if we're talking paper, we're talking cutting trees down, and if we
> start cutting trees from the outside, I guess we would only go a very
> little way into the forest.
>
> Daniel

Christopher Jahn

Aug 22, 2007, 8:49:45 AM8/22/07

>> Assuming that BeeNer had the OT-ness of the thread in mind
>> when asking the question (and you know what they say about
>> "assume" ;) , ISTM the question would be best answered by
>> pointing out that the subject had come up originally in an
>> on-topic way, which is what Jay did IMO.
>
> This is where the justification part enters. If BeeNer simply
> accepted the fact that it was OT, why ask 'what is it doing in
> m.s.seamonkey'?

To find out how such an off-topic conversation started in the
first place. Duh.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

I haven't lost my mind; it's back up on tape somewhere.

Chris Ilias

Aug 22, 2007, 9:30:22 AM8/22/07
On 8/22/07 8:38 AM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

> On 21.08.2007 23:04, Chris Ilias wrote:

Could you please repeat them?

Chris Ilias

Aug 22, 2007, 9:36:14 AM8/22/07
On 8/22/07 8:46 AM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

> On 22.08.2007 06:21, Chris Ilias wrote:

I didn't say BeeNer would accept it. In fact, my argument is that he/she
was in effect, asking "isn't this discussion OT?"

> yes we all know it was actually
> OT by the time it got past the point of answering the original post. But
> I don't consider his question OR my reply as being OT, it was an
> on-topic question with an on-topic answer. Again, go back and read his
> question and my response, two very basic one-liners that has now grown
> into massive proportions of paragraphs of non-issues and
> mis-interpretations.

When did I say BeeNer's question, or your response was OT? In fact, I
explicitly said those posts were not OT.
<http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.general/msg/95e211999e9065f7?q=No-one%20said%20BeeNer's%20message,%20your%20reply%20to%20BeeNer%20was%20OT.>

Chris Ilias

Aug 22, 2007, 9:38:15 AM8/22/07
On 8/22/07 8:49 AM, _Christopher Jahn_ spoke thusly:

> Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote in
>
>>> Assuming that BeeNer had the OT-ness of the thread in mind
>>> when asking the question (and you know what they say about
>>> "assume" ;) , ISTM the question would be best answered by
>>> pointing out that the subject had come up originally in an
>>> on-topic way, which is what Jay did IMO.
>> This is where the justification part enters. If BeeNer simply
>> accepted the fact that it was OT, why ask 'what is it doing in
>> m.s.seamonkey'?
>
> To find out how such an off-topic conversation started in the
> first place. Duh.

How is that more logical than asking whether or not the current
discussion actually belongs in that group? "Duh."

Chris Ilias

Aug 22, 2007, 9:52:34 AM8/22/07
On 8/22/07 8:45 AM, _Christopher Jahn_ spoke thusly:

> Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote in
>
>> On 8/21/07 7:57 PM, _Christopher Jahn_ spoke thusly:
>>> Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> wrote in

>>> Not the way you're twisting it. Jay answered the question
>>> that was asked; "context" was not an issue. That's your
>>> bizarre lack of sense kicking in.
>> I never said he didn't answer the question. I said that it
>> gave a false impression, about what was on-topic and what
>> wasn't on-topic
>
> 1. It didn't give a false impression.

...because...?
Obviously I disagree; so instead of just saying "It didn't...", how
about telling why you feel it didn't give a false impression.

> 2. The original question WAS on-topic.

Never said it wasn't. In fact, I said that it was on-topic, in my
original post.
<http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.seamonkey/msg/313e83aa69eb8d78>

> 3. Answering the question only showed how far off-topic the
> discuss had gotten.

It may have showed how far it deviated from the original discussion; but
it didn't state that the discussion no longer belonged in m.s.seamonkey.

> 4. You are just wrong. Quit being such a huge jackass.

Chris, I have not resorted to personal insults, and don't intend to. Jay
and I have been trying to explain and understand each other's opinions.
Saying "you are just wrong" isn't very productive; and calling someone a
"huge jackass" isn't going to encourage someone to make an effort to
understand your opinion. It's going to have the opposite effect.

Jay Garcia

Aug 22, 2007, 11:22:34 AM8/22/07
On 22.08.2007 08:36, Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 8/22/07 8:46 AM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:
>> On 22.08.2007 06:21, Chris Ilias wrote:

Then your argument turns to an opinion that is not shared by me or
anyone else that I know of responding in this discussion.

Opinions noted.

>> yes we all know it was actually
>> OT by the time it got past the point of answering the original post. But
>> I don't consider his question OR my reply as being OT, it was an
>> on-topic question with an on-topic answer. Again, go back and read his
>> question and my response, two very basic one-liners that has now grown
>> into massive proportions of paragraphs of non-issues and
>> mis-interpretations.
>
> When did I say BeeNer's question, or your response was OT? In fact, I
> explicitly said those posts were not OT.

You didn't. Read my response again (above). I said "I" didn't consider
his or my response OT. And that is NOT an opinion based on the question
asked and the reply to same.

You answers and questions are getting too repetitive that I have
responded to repetitively. So I'm outta here, users need support. And
besides, it's already 95 Deg F here with an index way over 100. A/C
working overtime to say the least.

Jay Garcia

Aug 22, 2007, 11:31:02 AM8/22/07

Aug 22, 2007, 11:40:07 AM8/22/07
On 8/22/07 11:31 AM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

> On 22.08.2007 08:30, Chris Ilias wrote:

That's not what I asked you. We both know that he/she wanted to know why
you were discussing secnews on a Mozilla server. I asked you why did he
ask why. If he/she didn't think it was OT, what reason would he/she have
to question secnews being discussed on news.mozilla.org?

Chris Ilias

Aug 22, 2007, 11:44:11 AM8/22/07
On 8/22/07 11:40 AM, _Chris Ilias_ spoke thusly:

Here's another way of putting it, if the current phrases aren't
explaining it well:
Why would discussing secnews on a Mozilla server be an issue?

Jay Garcia

Aug 22, 2007, 12:11:38 PM8/22/07

Aug 22, 2007, 12:45:16 PM8/22/07

I don't/didn't have a problem with it. But apparently (opinion/guess) is
that BeeNer did/does/whatever. That's why I answered the way I did.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 22, 2007, 1:19:59 PM8/22/07
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.08.2007 10:19, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

I have never email anyone about other matters. Just Chris I
to report is broken websites.

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 22, 2007, 1:23:33 PM8/22/07
Chris Ilias wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo says BeeNer would still have asked why
> secnews was being discussed, even after seeing the original post. Could
> you please explain to him, why reading the original post would have
> answered BeeNer's question, thus negating the need for asking the question?

Boy you sure do twist things around. I never said that.
What I said was perhaps he [BeeNer] never saw the OP

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 22, 2007, 1:28:02 PM8/22/07
Chris Ilias wrote:
>> Also notice that he didn't tender a reply, did he, so I
>> have to assume that his question was answered correctly and to his
>> satisfaction. To say otherwise would be argumentative and quite a
>> stretch to say the least.
>
> Since it's Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo that disagrees with that, not
> me, I want to see his rebuttal to that. :-)

what rebuttal. I agree with Jay, and I didn't say the above.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 22, 2007, 1:29:15 PM8/22/07
Jay Garcia wrote:
> Hey BeeNer !! Where are you, yoo hoooo ...... ;-)

I don't think he knows this discussion is going on.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 22, 2007, 1:36:57 PM8/22/07
Ed Mullen wrote:
> Gus Richter wrote:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>
>>> and bash your head! It's Chris I you're trying to convince... forget it!
>>> Power-crazy goons can only be "convinced" after a 5-year, all-out war!
>>> I came to Germany for a solid reason.
>>>
>>> reg
>> WTF? Keep that kind of shit out of here!
>> You were in the British army stationed in Germany. Messed with the
>> women, married one and liked it better there than on the Island, stayed
>> even though the women left you because it's better there than back home.
>> Don't dish out any other "solid reason crap. Please keep your bigoted,
>> racially intolerant, superior than thou comments to yourself!
>
> Geez, Gus! I think was kinda over the top, reaction-wise, to say the least.

perhaps he's like me and forget to put in those fricken
smiley faces when they're needed ;-)

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 22, 2007, 1:37:40 PM8/22/07
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.08.2007 15:29, squaredancer wrote:

sorry, but I have to agree with reg on his statement.

Jay Garcia

Aug 22, 2007, 1:50:16 PM8/22/07

Aug 22, 2007, 1:54:35 PM8/22/07

Aug 22, 2007, 1:56:05 PM8/22/07
On 22.08.2007 12:19, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> I have never email anyone about other matters. Just Chris I
> to report is broken websites.

You emailed me a coupla months ago about something, I didn't archive the
message.

Irwin Greenwald

Aug 22, 2007, 2:02:05 PM8/22/07
On 8/21/2007 8:23 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 8/21/07 11:18 PM, _Jay Garcia_ spoke thusly:

>> On 21.08.2007 21:53, Chris Ilias wrote:

Sheeeesh! He asked because he thought it was strange. Probably doesn't
even know what OT is.

--
Irwin

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 22, 2007, 2:07:29 PM8/22/07
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.08.2007 10:25, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

so now the truth comes out. All of those arguments could
have been avoided, but you so-called current and former Moz
Champs wouldn't let it go.

Perhaps I should mark this part of the thread as OT others
someone will complain that we're diverting from the original
problem. Oh forget it.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 22, 2007, 2:14:40 PM8/22/07

but those bumps cause a lot of irritations: for example in
this thread, and in my developers thread.

> as we all do but his
> support far outshines his stumbling over those little
> bumps.

currently, he doesn't provide much support in the support
groups. Maybe one post once every 2 or 5 weeks.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 22, 2007, 2:18:26 PM8/22/07
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 22.08.2007 12:19, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

as I said, I didn't and haven't email you.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Aug 22, 2007, 2:19:03 PM8/22/07
Chris Ilias wrote:
> How about you answer my question. :-)

why don't YOU answer my questions!? :-)

Jay Garcia

Aug 22, 2007, 2:45:45 PM8/22/07
On 22.08.2007 13:07, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>> On 21.08.2007 10:25, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

If you would have stopped we would have stopped.

> Perhaps I should mark this part of the thread as OT others
> someone will complain that we're diverting from the original
> problem. Oh forget it.

OT to OT ... what's wrong with that?

Jay Garcia

Aug 22, 2007, 2:47:23 PM8/22/07

I get on a lot of peoples nerves, so? Keeps the ticker ticking. :-)

>> as we all do but his
>> support far outshines his stumbling over those little
>> bumps.
>
> currently, he doesn't provide much support in the support
> groups. Maybe one post once every 2 or 5 weeks.

Maybe all the questions are being aswered correctly, who knows. Or maybe
he's getting new ticket books printed. 8-)

Jay Garcia

Aug 22, 2007, 2:48:23 PM8/22/07
On 22.08.2007 13:18, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>> On 22.08.2007 12:19, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

Then someone used your name AND IP address. The message is gone so I
have no proof ... o well.

It is loading more messages.