FF3 Theme for FF4+ "fixed" for FF16

HarveyG

Oct 10, 2012, 8:20:01 PM10/10/12
Firefox 3 Theme for Firefox 4+
http://ffaddons.game-point.net/ff3ff4/
is automatically disabled when updating from FF15 to FF16. The author
apparently quit work on it in June, disheartened by the FF developers
insistence on making FF look like Chrome, something about doing away
with tabs on top or bottom which made it "impossible" to keep
compatible. In any case it was set to be compatible with FF 16.0a1 at
the latest, which means it is automatically disabled by FF 16.0.

I've used that theme for a long time and consider it indispensable, a
deal breaker. Fortunately I asked at m.s.f and WaltS kindly shared a
fix, which I've done. Ref:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editing_an_add-on_to_change_its_compatibility
He suggested changing the maxVersion from 16.0a1 to 16.0, but I set it
to be good til FF version 99.0, which should never expire. It works fine
with my FF16.0 as WaltS said it works with his too. I can't guarantee
the future, so possibly future versions of FF will be incompatible (just
have to try it and see), but have uploaded it for those who might be
interested:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3xgfl0zhvfpe832/ffe_f...@game-point.net_HarveyG.xpi
807.93 KB (827,317 bytes)
To install, download the .xpi file and open manually with FF.

I suspect this is the little Dutch boy putting his finger in a hole in
the dike trying to hold back the Atlantic Ocean, but for a short while
yet maybe those of us accustomed to this theme can live in blissful
ignorance. I for one hate the blandness, the washed out dull shades of
gray, the tiny little icons, the colorless lifeless Chrome browser which
FF is apparently emulating. That's the reason for this theme. It
restores FF4+ to look like FF3, which is the way it should always look -
forever - colorful, legible, user friendly.

--
HarveyG

Ron Hunter

Oct 10, 2012, 9:23:39 PM10/10/12
There are many other themes the retain the main features of the old FF3
theme, and ARe supported for the latest versions. You might try Nuvola,
or one of Sailfish's themes. They have to be better than the current
default theme!
In an effort to deemphasize the UI, they have rendered it colorless, and
boring (and ugly in my opinion), and it takes WAY too much room on the
screen.

Message has been deleted

HarveyG

Oct 10, 2012, 10:44:44 PM10/10/12
I already looked at many other themes before I chose the Firefox 3 Theme
for Firefox 4+, and do not have the time nor inclination to look further.

--
HarveyG

HarveyG

Oct 10, 2012, 10:46:19 PM10/10/12
On 10/10/2012 21:20, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what HarveyG graced us with on
> 10/10/2012 5:20 PM:
> If you prefer the colored icons, you might want to considered the Qute
> themes. This theme was the default theme (by Arvid Axelsson) in earlier
> versions of Firefox and the icons are designed at a professional level.
> Both of these versions appear to be compatible:
> REF #1: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/qute-classic/?src=ss
> REF #2:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/qute-3-custom-mod/?src=ss

Not interested. Firefox 3 Theme for Firefox 4+ is my theme and I'm
sticking by it.

--
HarveyG
Message has been deleted

HarveyG

Oct 11, 2012, 1:05:57 AM10/11/12
On 10/10/2012 22:00, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what HarveyG graced us with on
> 10/10/2012 7:46 PM:
> Good luck with your efforts in keeping it current.
>
> Just to give you an idea of what you can look forward to every 6 weeks,
> consider this:
>
> The number of files that were changed with the default Windows theme
> between Fx15 and Fx16 were 69, of those, the number that represent
> new/changed images were 24 and the remaining files were CSS stylesheet
> files where the number of style lines changed vary between 2 and a
> couple of hundred.
>
> This is not atypical.

I have no future plans to change anything and am unlikely to consider
such complications. My only modification was to install.rdf which I set
to expire with Firefox version 99.0 (never). Fortunately it works fine
with FF16, otherwise I was ready to quit at FF15. If it won't work with
FF17, I'll quit with FF16. Etc.

--
HarveyG
Message has been deleted

HarveyG

Oct 11, 2012, 1:48:54 AM10/11/12
On 10/11/2012 00:38, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what HarveyG graced us with on
> 10/10/2012 10:05 PM:
> Out of curiosity, which browser will you go to that supports the icons
> types you prefer?

I have no plans for the future. I'll take it one day at a time...

--
HarveyG

Ron Hunter

Oct 11, 2012, 3:22:55 AM10/11/12
If it isn't important to you, then that's that.

Ron Hunter

Oct 11, 2012, 3:25:32 AM10/11/12
Your grief later. It will only become less useful, and less secure at
time goes by. You ride to the end of the line, or you get off somewhere
between stations, and walk from there. Good luck.

Ron Hunter

Oct 11, 2012, 3:27:05 AM10/11/12
Fine, grasshopper. Don't plan, don't prosper. I am sure you have read
before what happens to those who don't plan for the future....They don't
have one.

Desiree

Oct 11, 2012, 4:26:40 AM10/11/12

"Ron Hunter" <rphu...@charter.net> wrote in message
Got a screen shot? I'm on Fx 10 ESR and I think the default STRATA theme is
fine as I use Personas now rather than themes and I like small buttons. I
do occasionally switch to the one theme I have always loved Red Cats-Green
Flavor. It works in Fx 10 but I don't know if it is being kept up to date. I
love Personas though and with them it doesn't matter what the buttons look
like as long as they are small.

Daniel

Oct 11, 2012, 6:43:28 AM10/11/12
I thought they got the future they deserved!!

--
Daniel

Ann Watson

Oct 11, 2012, 8:58:12 AM10/11/12
Ha - and then the future turns out nothing like what you planned
for! :-)

Ann Watson

Oct 11, 2012, 9:03:47 AM10/11/12
Red Cats, both flavors, are still being kept up but at the moment
you'll have to go to the Theme and Extensions forum of
MozillaZine to get the latest betas. They should work for
another couple of versions.

AW

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Oct 11, 2012, 9:26:37 AM10/11/12

Oct 11, 2012, 5:57:24 PM10/11/12
Yes, that happens. I recall thinking how stupid it was for the USAF to
demand that each activity submit a 5 year budget plan. How does one
predict whether we will be in a war, of at peace five years in advance.
Obviously a peacetime budget isn't going to be any use in a war
situation, even if it is small, limited war.

Message has been deleted

HarveyG

Oct 11, 2012, 7:07:45 PM10/11/12
On 10/11/2012 08:18, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what HarveyG graced us with on
> 10/10/2012 7:44 PM:
> Why, JohnQPublic, why didn't you let us know it was you all along? :)

Does that mean you've stopped your series of stupid leading questions?

--
HarveyG

goodwin

Oct 11, 2012, 7:44:12 PM10/11/12
On 10/11/2012 05:58 AM, Ann Watson wrote:

> Ha - and then the future turns out nothing like what you planned for!

used to use that as an argument against "Financial Planners" when I was
a broker...

Message has been deleted

Desiree

Oct 11, 2012, 9:33:25 PM10/11/12

"Ann Watson" <Anna...@netscape.invalid> wrote in message
That's good to know that it is being kept up! Thanks. Before Personas, it
was the ONLY Fx theme I used from the time it was first available. I am glad
to know that when Fx10 ESR gets its yearly upgrade (end of December?) that
probably Red Cats will work with what ever version that is.

HarveyG

Oct 11, 2012, 9:48:06 PM10/11/12
On 10/11/2012 18:59, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what HarveyG graced us with on
> 10/11/2012 4:07 PM:
> No, that means I will now warn everyone that you're our resident troll
> whenever you post again :-P

Whatever turns you on, fish breath. Too bad you can't get it up anymore
but with such a tiny weenie I don't understand why you bother to keep
trying. ;)

--
HarveyG

HarveyG

Oct 11, 2012, 10:17:31 PM10/11/12
Seems fairly popular, 77 downloads so far...

--
HarveyG

Ron Hunter

Oct 12, 2012, 3:48:16 AM10/12/12
And a rude troll, it would appear. Bye HarveyG.

Daniel

Oct 12, 2012, 7:41:23 AM10/12/12
Ron Hunter wrote:

<Snip>
> Your grief later. It will only become less useful, and less secure at
> time goes by. You ride to the end of the line, or you get off somewhere
> between stations, and walk from there. Good luck.

Gee Whiz, Ron, what happened to the third option.....getting off *at*
the station you wanted!!

--
Daniel

Ron Hunter

Oct 12, 2012, 11:39:21 AM10/12/12
The train is an express. Grin.
You can get off, but you can't get back on very easily. There are a
number of alternative themes that preserve the original look and feel of
Firefox, and some of them save a lot of screen space as well, so if you
can't get the original one, try looking through the alternatives. You
might even find on you like better.

Ann Watson

Oct 12, 2012, 1:44:03 PM10/12/12
I tried Personas but it always seemed that the ones I preferred
were ones that made it hard to read the menu text. :-)

AW

Ron Hunter

Oct 12, 2012, 4:27:11 PM10/12/12
I have seen a couple that looked pretty good, but they had animation,
which I found pretty, but highly distracting. Personas are just eye-candy.

HarveyG

Oct 12, 2012, 4:50:21 PM10/12/12
Now 156 total downloads after 2 days:
http://i50.tinypic.com/34yscyd.png

So it seems popular despite the limited advertising - solely by a few
mentions on these mozilla newsgroups a couple of days ago. Word of mouth
travels fast.

One caveat...

When I installed the next version of Firefox (16.0.1), it phoned home
then said this add-on (theme) was incompatible and disabled it. To fix,
remove it, then reinstall manually by opening the .xpi file from Firefox.

If you haven't downloaded it yet, it's still available at:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3xgfl0zhvfpe832/ffe_f...@game-point.net_HarveyG.xpi

--------------------------------
WORKS FINE WITH FIREFOX 16.0.1
--------------------------------
;) :)

--
HarveyG

Desiree

Oct 13, 2012, 5:13:40 AM10/13/12

"Ron Hunter" <rphu...@charter.net> wrote in message
Aren't themes "just eye-candy" also? I have only seen a very few out of
thousands of personas that are animated. I have one that is animated..it's a
waterfall and soothing. I was sure I would hate it because I have the
Proxomitron turn off all animation on web pages. But someone, I think in
this group, Sailfish? ....can't remember for sure....suggested I try one
that was animated...maybe it was you?...anyhow, I actually like it which
really surprised me but it is soothing.

Desiree

Oct 13, 2012, 5:23:04 AM10/13/12

"Ann Watson" <Anna...@netscape.invalid> wrote in message
What do you mean by "menu text"? I have tried on some Personas that, because
of their colors, make it hard to read the description of the text that is on
the Menu bar so I quickly took off those personas and kept trying on others.
I also found some that I just loved when looking at the top of screen, but
when I looked down at the Addon Bar, where I have several extensions with
information shown, I couldn't read any of it again because of the colors
used for the Persona. So, I took those Personas off right away and proceeded
to try on others. I think it is fun to try on a lot of different
Personas...and it is so simple and easy to try them on and discard them if
you don't like them....not like with themes where you have to restart Fx to
see the new theme, etc.

Ann Watson

Oct 13, 2012, 8:30:12 AM10/13/12
I should have said toolbar text (and sometimes the icons as well)
was hard to read. Personas are fun; however, at the moment I'm
wasting enough time on the computer when I should be doing other
things, even things I should be doing on the computer. :-)

AW

WaltS

Oct 13, 2012, 8:42:01 AM10/13/12
I have found that you only need to go to the Background Themes
(Personas) page, place your mouse over the sample image, and it will
preview it in my Firefox. No need to install it, unless you like it.

--
Fedora 17 (64-bit)
KDE 4.9.2

Ron Hunter

Oct 13, 2012, 11:25:32 AM10/13/12
I believe Sailfish recommended it, and I tried it. It is pretty, but
still distracting when I am trying to read something.

Message has been deleted

Desiree

Oct 13, 2012, 11:19:30 PM10/13/12

"WaltS" <wls1...@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
Yes, that is what I meant by "trying them on". Simple, Easy and fun.

Is Background Themes the new name for Personas? I know Mozilla has asked
them to change the name.

WaltS

Oct 14, 2012, 8:29:41 AM10/14/12
> Yes, that is what I meant by "trying them on". Simple, Easy and fun.
>
> Is Background Themes the new name for Personas? I know Mozilla has asked
> them to change the name.

That is what they call them on the Mozilla Add-ons Forum.

http://tinyurl.com/8adzhlu

However according to this old blog post they are going to be assimilated
into Themes.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2012/03/01/personas-are-joining-the-themes-family/

Someday, maybe in my lifetime.

HarveyG

Oct 14, 2012, 4:07:16 PM10/14/12
Word of mouth travels fast... 335 downloads after 4 days!
http://i49.tinypic.com/rcn9d1.png

--
HarveyG

jamesruss...@maine.edu

Nov 3, 2012, 1:07:09 AM11/3/12
On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:20:17 PM UTC-4, HarveyG wrote:
> Firefox 3 Theme for Firefox 4+
>
> http://ffaddons.game-point.net/ff3ff4/
>
> is automatically disabled when updating from FF15 to FF16. The author
>
> apparently quit work on it in June, disheartened by the FF developers
>
> insistence on making FF look like Chrome, something about doing away
>
> with tabs on top or bottom which made it "impossible" to keep
>
> compatible. In any case it was set to be compatible with FF 16.0a1 at
>
> the latest, which means it is automatically disabled by FF 16.0.
>

> I've used that theme for a long time and consider it indispensable, a
>
> deal breaker. Fortunately I asked at m.s.f and WaltS kindly shared a
>
> fix, which I've done. Ref:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editing_an_add-on_to_change_its_compatibility
>
> He suggested changing the maxVersion from 16.0a1 to 16.0, but I set it
>
> to be good til FF version 99.0, which should never expire. It works fine
>
> with my FF16.0 as WaltS said it works with his too. I can't guarantee
>
> the future, so possibly future versions of FF will be incompatible (just
>
> have to try it and see), but have uploaded it for those who might be
>
> interested:
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/file/3xgfl0zhvfpe832/ffe_f...@game-point.net_HarveyG.xpi
>
> 807.93 KB (827,317 bytes)
>
> To install, download the .xpi file and open manually with FF.
>

> HarveyG

Could you please do this compatibility change with the firefox 3 aero theme as well. I've tried doing it myself and for some reason I keep hitting one snag or another. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

0'Grady

Nov 23, 2012, 9:58:45 PM11/23/12
On 10/10/2012 19:20, HarveyG wrote:
> Firefox 3 Theme for Firefox 4+
> http://ffaddons.game-point.net/ff3ff4/
> is automatically disabled when updating from FF15 to FF16. The author
> apparently quit work on it in June, disheartened by the FF developers
> insistence on making FF look like Chrome, something about doing away
> with tabs on top or bottom which made it "impossible" to keep
> compatible. In any case it was set to be compatible with FF 16.0a1 at
> the latest, which means it is automatically disabled by FF 16.0.
>
> I've used that theme for a long time and consider it indispensable, a
> deal breaker. Fortunately I asked at m.s.f and WaltS kindly shared a
> fix, which I've done. Ref:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editing_an_add-on_to_change_its_compatibility
> He suggested changing the maxVersion from 16.0a1 to 16.0, but I set it
> to be good til FF version 99.0, which should never expire. It works fine
> with my FF16.0 as WaltS said it works with his too. I can't guarantee
> the future, so possibly future versions of FF will be incompatible (just
> have to try it and see), but have uploaded it for those who might be
> interested:
> http://www.mediafire.com/file/3xgfl0zhvfpe832/ffe_f...@game-point.net_HarveyG.xpi
>
> 807.93 KB (827,317 bytes)
> To install, download the .xpi file and open manually with FF.
>
> I suspect this is the little Dutch boy putting his finger in a hole in
> the dike trying to hold back the Atlantic Ocean, but for a short while
> yet maybe those of us accustomed to this theme can live in blissful
> ignorance. I for one hate the blandness, the washed out dull shades of
> gray, the tiny little icons, the colorless lifeless Chrome browser which
> FF is apparently emulating. That's the reason for this theme. It
> restores FF4+ to look like FF3, which is the way it should always look -
> forever - colorful, legible, user friendly.

Thanks a lot! That mediafire link appears to still be working. I also
found this related link on the reviews page: http://bit.ly/T3lwy3
Where there's a will, there's a way... :)

--
0'Grady