other languages

Fabio Serra

Mar 19, 2006, 5:11:32 PM3/19/06
Is there any planning to create mozilla.* newgsroups in other language? I
would like to know if could be possibile to create a mozilla.dev.extensions
in Italian.
--
FABIO SERRA
Per rispondere in e-mail sostituire "invalid" con "faser"

Gervase Markham

Mar 20, 2006, 8:29:31 AM3/20/06
Fabio Serra wrote:
> Is there any planning to create mozilla.* newgsroups in other language? I
> would like to know if could be possibile to create a mozilla.dev.extensions
> in Italian.

Good question.

We have always said that any localisation group which wants it can have
a mozilla.dev.l10n.<language code> newsgroup. But this is not the same.

What options are there? At least the following:

0) Make the entire world speak English.

1) Have all languages in the same group; people who don't know a
language just skip over posts in that language.

2) Have a separate group just underneath, e.g. mozilla.dev.extensions.it

3) Have a separate hierarchy under "mozilla", mozilla.it.dev.extensions

4) Have a totally separate hierarchy, mozilla-it.dev.extensions

How is this problem solved in other areas of Usenet?

Gerv

Michael Lefevre

Mar 20, 2006, 1:22:16 PM3/20/06
On 2006-03-20, Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:
[snip]

> What options are there? At least the following:
>
> 0) Make the entire world speak English.
>
> 1) Have all languages in the same group; people who don't know a
> language just skip over posts in that language.
>
> 2) Have a separate group just underneath, e.g. mozilla.dev.extensions.it
>
> 3) Have a separate hierarchy under "mozilla", mozilla.it.dev.extensions
>
> 4) Have a totally separate hierarchy, mozilla-it.dev.extensions
>
> How is this problem solved in other areas of Usenet?

Some combination of 0, 3 and 4 (e.g. alt.pl.mozilla,
de.comm.software.mozilla.misc, alt.fr.outil.mozilla,
hr.comp.softver.mozilla). I would think 3 would be the appropriate
equivalent for mozilla rather than 4. I've certainly seen some groups
which have a mix of languages, but I'm not sure there are any that are
supposed to be like that...

--
Michael

Fabio Serra

Mar 20, 2006, 5:37:10 PM3/20/06
Gervase Markham wrote:

> How is this problem solved in other areas of Usenet?

AFAIK in the big 8 hierarchy the language is supposed to be English. The
newsgroups where people use language other than English usually reside in a
different top-level usenet hierarchy (it.*, de.* etc). This usually means
that the newsgroups are completely independent of the others, they have
different organization and different creation rules.
In our case I think we need to look at the other non Usenet hierarchy as
microsoft or macromedia. mozilla.* belong to these private hierarchies that
are not propagated.
So, looking at:

microsoft.public.fr.dotnet
microsoft.public.it.sicurezza

macromedia.general.italy
macromedia.general.germany

I think that the best choice should be:

mozilla.dev.general.italy and
mozilla.general.italy for everything else.

It doesn't make sense to create separate newsgroup for each "technology"
like mozilla.dev.extensions.it because I don't think there is enough
traffic. It is better to have less newsgroup, maybe more generic but much
traffic (this is a criticism I made to the mozilla hierarchy. Too much
newsgroups, too much overlapping and too low traffic).

Returning to my original question. I have an Italian mailing list about XUL
and everything related to mozilla development. The members are ~90 and the
traffic is low. Could be possible to create a mozilla.dev.general.italy?
Who is the mozilla.* hierarchy administrators?

Gervase Markham

Mar 24, 2006, 6:41:16 AM3/24/06
Fabio Serra wrote:
> Returning to my original question. I have an Italian mailing list about XUL
> and everything related to mozilla development. The members are ~90 and the
> traffic is low.

So you think one single group in Italian would be sufficient?

Could be possible to create a mozilla.dev.general.italy?

Surely mozilla.dev.general.italian (i.e. language rather than country)?

Otherwise, you end up with both a mozilla.dev.general.spain and a
mozilla.dev.general.argentina, rather than a single
mozilla.dev.general.spanish.

> Who is the mozilla.* hierarchy administrators?

File a bug in Bugzilla, in mozilla.org/Newsgroups.

Gerv

Fabio Serra

Mar 25, 2006, 7:22:57 PM3/25/06
Gervase Markham wrote:

> Fabio Serra wrote:
>> Returning to my original question. I have an Italian mailing list about
>> XUL and everything related to mozilla development. The members are ~90
>> and the traffic is low.
>
> So you think one single group in Italian would be sufficient?

Yes, I think so. My mailing list
(http://www.cfmentor.com/mailman/listinfo/xulex -
http://gmane.org/info.php?group=gmane.comp.lang.xul.italian) with 90
members has not so much messages per day. It is the only mailing list in
Italian where you can discuss about mozilla from a developer point of view.
Currently the others Italian forums (http://forum.mozillaitalia.org/) and
newsgroups (it-alt.comp.software.mozilla) are more end-user oriented.
Maybe in the future we could think to create a mozilla.general.italian if we
reach enough traffic and if a lot of post are off-topic.

> Could be possible to create a mozilla.dev.general.italy?
>
> Surely mozilla.dev.general.italian (i.e. language rather than country)?

Right. It is better.

>> Who is the mozilla.* hierarchy administrators?
>
> File a bug in Bugzilla, in mozilla.org/Newsgroups.

Ok, I'm going to submit the bug.
Thanks.