[Hendrix] Management of Firefox for 300 machines

Dan Ball

Sep 25, 2007, 4:08:24 PM9/25/07
Name: Dan Ball
Email: ballatptidotedu
Product: Gran Paradiso

Comments:
We have 300 Macs and have been using Firefox for our default browser on
the Macs. We are still running the latest version of 1.0 because 2.0 I
can't find out how to disable a few things.

When our users login they get a temporary home on each login and on
launching Firefox 2 they get the first run with two tabs opening and the
customized Mozilla page showing and its a pain. I see Firefox 3 is also
doing this, can this be disabled somewhere in global prefs? Would be
nice to have an option called FirstRun and have Enable or Disable
options to bypass these issues. I found out with Firefox 2 that I can
set the mozilla webpages to the link I want in a prefs file, but it
still opens two tabs on startup.

Would be nice if I could simply disable this in the Firefox.app bundle
prefrerence and then be able to push the new firefox updates out using ARD.

I know some other schools doing the same thing, but they use Safari so
they don't have the same issue. We can't use Safari because of internal
webpages and other webpages not working correctly with Safari.

Thanks,

Dan

Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.9a8) Gecko/2007091211 GranParadiso/3.0a8

Saigor

Oct 17, 2007, 9:45:27 AM10/17/07
Hi:

I had the same problem deploying firefox for +150 PCs.
First, downloaded firefox from FrontMotion (thanks!!!!!!!), and with
policies I was able to do something like that for windows.

1) enter in about:config
2) search for: "startup"
3) change "browser.startup.homepage" to "http://www.astarbe.com" (your
site)