Fwd: [theora] Safari 4 Plays Theora/Vorbis

Christopher Blizzard

Jun 12, 2009, 6:34:03 PM6/12/09
to evang...@lists.mozilla.org
No video in opera 10. A little sad about that.

--Chris

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Philip Jägenstedt <phi...@foolip.org>
> Date: June 12, 2009 3:18:04 PM EDT
> To: Gregory Maxwell <gmax...@gmail.com>
> Cc: the...@xiph.org
> Subject: Re: [theora] Safari 4 Plays Theora/Vorbis
>
> I am the current implementor of <video> at Opera, but am sending this
> from by private email address as I happen to be subscribed here since
> way before working at Opera.
>
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 14:55, Gregory Maxwell<gmax...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> Heh ??? Can Opera 10b play Theora at all ? 10a definitely can't,
>>> and I don't see such a fact advertised anywhere on opera.com :-(
>>> There is a years old experimental version (hacked from cca 9.52)
>>> that can play it __IF__ doesn't crash just at start ... and
>>> unusably
>>> buggy with layout of some pages, so the Opera guys seem not that
>>> enthusiastic about Theora video support ...
>
> No, unfortunately Opera 10 won't have <video> support. However, we
> hope to have more labs builds as soon as we have something new to
> show. As for enthusiasm about Theora I assure you that it's there, it
> is currently just about the only option compatible with the open web
> platform.
>
>> The fact that Video was added to HTML5 is largely due to the opera
>> guys, and they did the first demonstration versions of it. They were
>> the initial proponents. They're just lagging a bit on finishing the
>> support. I understand that they have someone actively working on it
>> again, so it should be coming soon.
>
> That is correct, we were first with a demo build with <video> but
> after that not much was done until it was up-prioritized and I began
> working full time on it just a few months ago. The buzz around <video>
> sharply increased in the last few months so we're feeling the heat
> now...
>
>> The point I was making is that once Opera does it will likely be
>> Theora only too, like Firefox.
>
> That is likely, and I'll be at http://openvideoconference.org/ to say
> some more on the issue.
>
> --
> Philip Jägenstedt

John Resig

Jun 12, 2009, 7:28:12 PM6/12/09
to Christopher Blizzard, evang...@lists.mozilla.org
That's so odd for them. They're constantly beating the "We're awesome
at implementing standards" drum, kind of dropping the ball here.

--John

Christopher Blizzard

Jun 12, 2009, 7:55:18 PM6/12/09
to John Resig, evang...@lists.mozilla.org
It might be that they had resources in other places - hard to tell.
We've done a good job of starting the process of maturing the ogg
stuff, with shipping, engaging with the open source people who have
the implementations and investing in the encoders and might have just
surprised them. Given the amount of time and resources that it took
us to take the raw ogg stuff working in our implementation you have to
imagine it's similar for them (even though they can draft off us.)

Also it's not relevant on mobile (yet!) and that's where most of their
resources are going.

--Chris