Re: Collecting Data on "Rando-oranges"

Ben Hearsum

Feb 11, 2009, 8:54:02 AM2/11/09
On 2/10/09 8:09 PM, Clint Talbert wrote:
> w.r.t. testing machines against VMs (assuming this is what we're
> interested in doing) I need to know:
> * what machines
> * what are the specs for those machines?
> * Is there a script to transform blank machine into a reference image
> per OS?

There isn't a script, but the manual process is well documented here:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/ReferencePlatforms/Win32
https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReferencePlatforms/Linux-CentOS-5.0

> w.r.t. VMs:
> * I'll need to get a hosted CentOS VM. The one I was going to run was
> simply on my laptop and I was going to run it in the background to get
> some data a couple of days a week.

File an IT bug and cc rel...@mozilla-org.bugs and we can get this done
for you.

Chris AtLee

Feb 11, 2009, 9:08:42 AM2/11/09
On 10/02/09 08:09 PM, Clint Talbert wrote:
> w.r.t. VMs:
> * I'll need to get a hosted CentOS VM. The one I was going to run was
> simply on my laptop and I was going to run it in the background to get
> some data a couple of days a week.
> * The win2k3 VM is already hosted, and I think it makes sense to keep
> using that.

We could probably set something up on our buildbot systems to run
unittests over the same revision a few times each day. If we left this
running for a week, we'd have a good amount of data to go though. We'd
just need a good way to collect the results.

Cheers,
Chris

Axel Hecht

Feb 11, 2009, 10:49:40 AM2/11/09

AFAICT, the idea is to run those outside of buildbot for the very reason
of being able to gather data.

I'd like to see them run out of buildbot, too, just to make sure we're
not seeing a buildbot problem causing the rando-orange.

Axel

Clint Talbert

Feb 18, 2009, 4:22:41 PM2/18/09
On 2/11/09 7:49 AM, Axel Hecht wrote:
I was hoping to get feedback on what types of machines we should use to
compare against the VMs, but failing that, I've now created several bugs
for this effort. So, if you have any input on the machine specs feel
free to add them to these bugs. I want to keep the machines as similar
as possible try and maintain as much of an apples to apples comparison
as possible. The bugs are:
* win2k3 machine - bug 479086
* centos machine - bug 479088
* mac os x machine - bug 479091
* cent os VM - bug 479092

I already have a hosted win2k3 vm machine that I'll use for this.

Clint