remote nsTreeView

us...@domain.invalid

May 26, 2006, 5:30:38 AM5/26/06
i've been busy on a remote xul app for a while. I found it quite nice to
use the nstreeView concept, to load data from a remote server into a
tree. it seems that this feature will be disabled by security
restrictions in future versions of firefox ( mozilla ?).
What alternative do i have to load a tree with remote data ? ( i suppose
via DOM ).
does someone have a view on the future of remote XUL ? I am just a
little bit concerned about my decision to go for remote XUL...

jef peeraer ( a long time xul enthousiast )

jefdotpeeraer@telenetdotbe

May 26, 2006, 5:39:39 AM5/26/06

Neil

May 26, 2006, 6:57:32 AM5/26/06
jefdotpeeraer@telenetdotbe wrote:

> i've been busy on a remote xul app for a while. I found it quite nice
> to use the nstreeView concept, to load data from a remote server into
> a tree. it seems that this feature will be disabled by security
> restrictions in future versions of firefox ( mozilla ?).

Maybe you could request universal browser write permissions? (Sorry, but
I don't know how you should do this.)

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Wladimir Palant

Jun 4, 2006, 3:12:06 PM6/4/06
Neil wrote:
> Maybe you could request universal browser write permissions? (Sorry, but
> I don't know how you should do this.)

Put the script and all the pages into a jar file, sign it with a
certificate (and you can't use jarsigner, it has to be signtool which
was ridiculously difficult to install and use last time I tried), and
then call enablePrivilege() from the script every time you want to do
something "advanced" (and lets hope the user will simply save his
choice). Don't forget to ask the user to import your root certificate if
you didn't pay a few hundred $ for a trusted one. Or, what is happening
more often, you ask the user to toggle the
signed.applets.codebase_principal_support pref and drop the whole
certificate business. This will open a security hole in the browser but
who cares... Sorry, remote XUL is simply depressing :-(

Wladimir