pristine Windows gecko-SDK and g++ components?

blaise...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2006, 1:20:30 AM10/8/06

I have an app running with XULRunner and a custom C++ component running
under Linux. I also have a requirement to port this app to Windows.
So far, the entire app, excluding the parts that rely on my component,
works well on Windows.

Right now, we don't own, nor do we really want to get unless there is
no other way, a copy of Microsoft Visual Studio. I'm fairly confident
that we can build this component using cygwin or minGW and our existing
autoconf scripts.

But what I don't know is if the Windows version of the Gecko-SDK and
XULRunner packages are binary-compatable with components built with
cygwin or minGW.

Has anyone tried cygwin/g++ compiled XPCOM components with
Windows-based Gecko-SDK/XULRunner DLL/EXEs?

Benjamin Smedberg

Oct 8, 2006, 10:47:23 AM10/8/06
blaise...@gmail.com wrote:

> But what I don't know is if the Windows version of the Gecko-SDK and
> XULRunner packages are binary-compatable with components built with
> cygwin or minGW.

The gcc ABI and the MSVC ABI are fundamentally incompatible, so no, you
cannot build your component on gcc/mingw and expect it to work with the MSVC
xulrunner. You could perhaps build xulrunner yourself using the gcc/mingw
toolchain. However, since the free MSVC toolkit will work fine, why don't
you use that?

--BDS

blaise...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2006, 10:19:22 AM10/9/06

Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> blaise...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > But what I don't know is if the Windows version of the Gecko-SDK and
> > XULRunner packages are binary-compatable with components built with
> > cygwin or minGW.
>
> [Snip: short answer is "No"]

> However, since the free MSVC toolkit will work fine, why don't
> you use that?

Because I was unaware of it. I'll look into it.

I might go with a minGW build of XULRunner/Gecko-SDK anyway to keep the
toolchains the same on Windows and Linux.