Purpose of dev-tech-xpcom

Christian Biesinger

Jun 10, 2007, 4:41:06 PM6/10/07
to dev-tec...@lists.mozilla.org
What's the purpose of this list?

I used to think it was about XPCOM itself, basically for questions about
the code in xpcom/**.

However, that doesn't seem to be how everyone else uses it. In fact, it
seems to be about all coding questions that are somewhat Firefox- or
XULRunner-related. Basically what the platform or extension lists are
supposed to be.

Should we, therefore, delete this list/newsgroup? As it is used, it is
redundant.

-christian

--
All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:

Nickolay Ponomarev

Jun 14, 2007, 6:30:57 AM6/14/07
to Christian Biesinger, dev-tec...@lists.mozilla.org
On 6/11/07, Christian Biesinger <cbies...@web.de> wrote:
> What's the purpose of this list?
>
> I used to think it was about XPCOM itself, basically for questions about
> the code in xpcom/**.

I think so too, but people will always post to the wrong list. I guess
in the case of xpcom/* there is not much discussion happening, so the
misposts are in the majority.

It would indeed make sense to merge this newsgroup and whatever
newsgroup we have for platform discussion, then close this one.
Gervase is the newsgroup reorganization man, so CCing him.

Nickolay

Nickolay Ponomarev

Jun 14, 2007, 6:32:55 AM6/14/07
to Gervase Markham, dev-tec...@lists.mozilla.org
Actually CCing.

Nickolay

doug turner

Jun 14, 2007, 1:13:21 PM6/14/07
xpcom is so seldom used as a standalone piece of technology, I do not
seemuch value in a separate newsgroup for its discussion.

Doug Turner

In article
<mailman.1465.11818171...@lists.mozilla.org>"Nickola
y Ponomarev" <asqu...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Gervase Markham

Jun 18, 2007, 11:37:26 AM6/18/07
doug turner wrote:
> xpcom is so seldom used as a standalone piece of technology, I do not
> seemuch value in a separate newsgroup for its discussion.

OK; file a bug in mozilla.org / Newsgroups to get it done. Specify if
you want it nuked entirely or just made read-only (I _think_ that's
possible).

Gerv

doug turner

Jun 19, 2007, 1:16:54 PM6/19/07