Plugin methods are missing in 3.6

Shmulik Flint

Jun 7, 2010, 3:03:03 AM6/7/10
We have a plugin that we use to enable printing and saving from our
app. We instantiate it using <embed> tag with all needed attributes,
and then call Save() or Print() method on the document.embeds[0]
object.

This used to work perfectly on Firefox 3.5 and earlier, but it no
longer works in Firefox 3.6. In 3.6, document.embeds[0].Save is null,
that is our custom methods are not defined on this object.

Any idea why this happens, and what has changed in Firefox 3.6 that
causes it? Any idea on how to debug it and find the cause? And most
important, any idea of a workaround that will allow us to access this
methods?

Thanks,
Shmulik

taxilian

Jun 8, 2010, 11:15:34 AM6/8/10

Yeah, most likely you're still using XPCOM for your plugin interface,
which has been deprecated now for three years and was removed in
FireFox 3.6. see: http://colonelpanic.net/2010/01/firefox-3-6-has-removed-support-for-xpcom-plugins/

The fix is to change your plugin to use npruntime and expose your
methods through an NPObject. see
http://colonelpanic.net/2009/08/building-a-firefox-plugin-%E2%80%93-part-three/
for more information on npobjects

You could also port it to use FireBreath, which would make it work on
all npapi browsers (chrome, safari, firefox, possibly opera) as well
as on IE as an activex control: http://firebreath.googlecode.com

Good luck,

- taxilian

Shmulik Flint

Jun 9, 2010, 12:14:36 AM6/9/10
On Jun 8, 6:15 pm, taxilian <taxil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 1:03 am, Shmulik Flint <splin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > We have a plugin that we use to enable printing and saving from our
> > app. We instantiate it using <embed> tag with all needed attributes,
> > and then call Save() or Print() method on the document.embeds[0]
> > object.
>
> > This used to work perfectly on Firefox 3.5 and earlier, but it no
> > longer works in Firefox 3.6. In 3.6, document.embeds[0].Save is null,
> > that is our custom methods are not defined on this object.
>
> > Any idea why this happens, and what has changed in Firefox 3.6 that
> > causes it? Any idea on how to debug it and find the cause? And most
> > important, any idea of a workaround that will allow us to access this
> > methods?
>
> Yeah, most likely you're still using XPCOM for your plugin interface,
> which has been deprecated now for three years and was removed in
> FireFox 3.6.  see:http://colonelpanic.net/2010/01/firefox-3-6-has-removed-support-for-x...

> The fix is to change your plugin to use npruntime and expose your
> methods through an NPObject.  seehttp://colonelpanic.net/2009/08/building-a-firefox-plugin-%E2%80%93-p...

> for more information on npobjects
>
> You could also port it to use FireBreath, which would make it work on
> all npapi browsers (chrome, safari, firefox, possibly opera) as well
> as on IE as an activex control:http://firebreath.googlecode.com
>
> Good luck,
>
> - taxilian

That's probably it, thanks. I'll take a look at my options and see how
we proceed.

Thanks a lot,
Shmulik