FF issues with STIX release

1 view

William F Hammond

May 30, 2010, 4:34:47 PM5/30/10
to Mozilla Math Developers

Dear Friends,

I see a few rendering changes in Firefox 3.6.3, Ubuntu 8.04,
after replacing the STIX beta fonts with the STIX fonts released
Friday (28 May).

Two things:

1. In item 13 -- the recursive radicals -- of the Mozilla Torture
test, http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/texvsmml.xhtml
the radical symbols no longer descend properly on
the left.

Screenshot (3k): http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/mmlmisc/STIX/t13.png

2. When a tall integral sign is required, the vertical segment
in the middle does not have proper horizontal alignment.
See http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/gellmu/wprod.xhtml

Screenshot (3k): http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/mmlmisc/STIX/wprod.png

Is there a reason why this change of fonts should cause such
"breakage"?

-- Bill

Frédéric Wang

May 30, 2010, 6:06:28 PM5/30/10
to William F Hammond, Mozilla Math Developers
The STIXSize* font files have been renamed in the STIX release, so
Mozilla is not able to catch some glyphs used for operator stretching. I
have a patch to fix this issue but for the moment I think a workaround
is just to rename the new fonts with the old names...

--
Fr�d�ric Wang.
Website <http://www.maths-informatique-jeux.com/> - Weblog

Frédéric Wang

William F Hammond

Jun 1, 2010, 12:11:28 PM6/1/10
to Mozilla Math Developers
Frédéric Wang <fred...@free.fr> writes:

> The STIXSize* font files have been renamed in the STIX release, so
> Mozilla is not able to catch some glyphs used for operator
> stretching. I have a patch to fix this issue but for the moment I
> think a workaround is just to rename the new fonts with the old
> names...

Such renaming would be rather tedious. Instead I re-established
the beta fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts/opentype and then copied
the new fonts to the same directory so that new font files with
the same names would overrite betas. This seemed to work -- at least
with ubuntu 8.04 and fontconfig.

Thanks.

-- Bill

Frédéric Wang

Jun 1, 2010, 1:24:37 PM6/1/10
to William F Hammond
On 01/06/2010 18:11, William F Hammond wrote:

Yes, sorry, I was thinking it would be enough to change file names but
actually they are not directly related to font names... your solution is
better.