I would like to remove the table border color quirk that makes the
border color dependent on the background. The quirk is a pure NN4.6 quirk.
In quirks mode the following markup will produce a green border instead
of a gray (default) one.
There are two reasons why this should be removed:
1.) IE does not do this
2.) This creates problems when CSS is applied to the table as depending
on the actual background-color violates the CSS principles.
3.) This quirk is a major obstacle for
The removal will include:
- removal of the quirk handling in content,
- removal of NS_STYLE_BORDER_STYLE_BG_OUTSET,
- removal of -moz-bg-outset -moz-bg-inset
- removal of the corresponding code paths in nsCSSRendering
- use of the quirks color shades in standards mode, they are brighter
than the existing standards mode color shades and match IE.
There is NS_STYLE_BORDER_STYLE_BG_SOLID which is used for <hr> tags this
one will remain. So the code removal will not reach its full potential.
The benefits are:
Code removal, better CSS styling even in quirks mode, IE compatibility
The risks is:
We will break pages that rely on this quirk. However to get the border
color cross browser people have used a workaround before.