SpiderMonkey now exposes, and depends upon, <stdint.h>-style types

Jeff Walden

Dec 8, 2011, 6:07:39 PM12/8/11
Following up on the thread I started a couple weeks ago, I've now landed patches for bug 704313 to make SpiderMonkey depend upon <stdint.h>, or upon a reimplementation of it on compilers without <stdint.h>. All the current typedefs are still around, and the jsapi.h header still refers to them. So unless you're also using code that reimplements stdint.h types, you probably won't notice a change.

That said, the problem motivating this change was that the "uint32"-style names are heavily used across a bunch of code bases. They too suffer from the incompatible-definition problem the stdint types had. We plan to solve this by removing these typedefs (uint32-style and JSUint32-style both), and all uses of them, from the default headers. DON'T PANIC! We're currently planning to add a header which will readd those typedefs, so if you need them it should be possible to change your |#include "jsapi.h"| to |#include "jsapi.h" / #include "LegacyIntTypes.h"|, more or less, to keep working in the short term. That said, in the longer run we recommend using the stdint-named types directly. This work is occurring in bug 708735.

As always, ask questions if you have 'em.

Jeff