[Fwd: Warning: Your SSL Certificate on trust-value.com is expiring soon. Upgrade to 2048-bit today]

Eddy Nigg

Feb 27, 2009, 10:00:55 PM2/27/09
More spam from Comodo....I wonder if this really behooves a
certification authority claiming to be number two.

The links go to infosecuritynews.com which is protected by whoisguard
(sick), but continuing the promotion one lands at the instanssl site of
Comodo. I suggest to Micorosoft and Mozilla to make it a policy
requirement of CAs to refrain from spam and sending of unsolicited mail.
Funny also these offerings from the same house: comodoantispam.com
(would it help me?)

Regards
Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber: star...@startcom.org <xmpp:star...@startcom.org>
Blog: Join the Revolution! <http://blog.startcom.org>
Phone: +1.213.341.0390

Feb 28, 2009, 12:16:17 PM2/28/09
Eddy Nigg wrote:
> I suggest to Micorosoft and Mozilla to make it a policy
> requirement of CAs to refrain from spam and sending of unsolicited mail.

In my original "CA certificate metapolicy" document from 2004

http://hecker.org/mozilla/ca-certificate-metapolicy

I wrote the following:

18. ... The [Mozilla CA certificate] policy should not arbitrarily
exclude CAs from consideration based on factors such as the CA's
size, reputation, *business practices not related to certificate
issuance*, profit or nonprofit status, geographic location, and the
like. [emphasis added]

As part of the discussion of the metapolicy, I wrote the following in
response to a comment from Ben Bucksch stating that he didn't want roots
included for a company "proven to be ruthless", and asking whether we'd
accept Microsoft as a root CA:

I wasn't proposing to ignore the CA's track record specifically
as a CA, I was referring instead to the CA's general reputation as
a business. To answer your hypothetical question: if Microsoft acted
as a CA, and if Microsoft properly did the things one would expect a
CA to do, then why should their root CA cert not be included? Whether
Microsoft is a "good" company or "bad" company in terms of other
non-CA-related business practices (for example, the sorts of things
that got them in trouble with the US and EU) is IMO of little or no
relevance.

http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.crypto/msg/45e7135322b15f4c

So, consistent with my position back then, I am *not* in favor of our
imposing a policy requirement that CAs (or their resellers) not engage
in spamming. It's not directly relevant to a CA's performance as a CA.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker
hec...@mozillafoundation.org

Kyle Hamilton

Feb 28, 2009, 3:51:34 PM2/28/09
to mozilla's crypto code discussion list
First, Microsoft has already become a CA (multiple times over), and
they arguably do more things related to maintaining the
trustworthiness of the PKI than Mozilla does.

However, I believe that spamming is reprehensible. I also believe
that the only reason that spammers actually spam is because of the
very low cost of sending out UCE, which means that only 1 of 50,000
spams needs to respond to make a profit.

In order to reduce the effectiveness of this flavor of spam (which
only exists because the company has been accepted as "trustworthy" by
Mozilla, Microsoft, Apple, Opera, and the Konqueror team), the only
way to make it less profitable for them is to remove one of the
pillars upon which they base their spam. Specifically, the only way
to make it less profitable is to cost them their browser support,
which would render their CA services valueless.

If Mozilla tolerates this (and I am specifically stating this as Frank
is capable of making at least some policy choices on behalf of the
Mozilla Foundation), then what else will it tolerate? Spam is a
proposition which is more damaging to user security than any PKI
attack can be -- it is a proposition which is essentially a denial of
service attack against their email boxes. (Remember, 'availability'
is one of the things that has always been part of all of the security
protocols that the IETF evaluates -- in this case, though, the
processing power of the user herself is being abused.)

Also, does Mozilla want to go on record as tolerating spam?

-Kyle H

Martin Paljak

Feb 28, 2009, 4:05:09 PM2/28/09
to mozilla's crypto code discussion list
While I'm from EU and against spam, i must remind the fundamental
optout/optin difference between US and EU. Just a thought.

--
Sent from my mobile device

Martin Paljak
mar...@paljak.pri.ee
http://martin.paljak.pri.ee
GSM:+3725156495

Eddy Nigg

Feb 28, 2009, 4:36:16 PM2/28/09
On 02/28/2009 10:51 PM, Kyle Hamilton:

> First, Microsoft has already become a CA (multiple times over), and
> they arguably do more things related to maintaining the
> trustworthiness of the PKI than Mozilla does.

Kyle, follow up of Franks response was set to
mozilla.dev.security.policy. Could you follow up there since me and
Frank posted there as well?

Eddy Nigg

Feb 28, 2009, 4:40:02 PM2/28/09
On 02/28/2009 11:05 PM, Martin Paljak:

> While I'm from EU and against spam, i must remind the fundamental
> optout/optin difference between US and EU. Just a thought.

Once when I was naive enough and clicked for "unsubscribe" I've got ten
times the amount of spam (since I just confirmed to them that I've read
it and the account is real) until I closed the account altogether. Bad
idea, no trust relationship exists in this respect.

Frank Hecker

Feb 28, 2009, 9:05:53 PM2/28/09
Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> Also, does Mozilla want to go on record as tolerating spam?

The problem with this argument is that it could be applied to a good
many more things than spam. This is especially true with respect to
government CAs, since governments can and do engage in activities which
a great many people strenuously object to (including me in many cases).
Suppose we include a root for government X, which then proceeds to do
controversial thing Y. Then one could easily ask "does Mozilla want to
go on record as tolerating Y?" where Y in some cases might be far more
serious than sending out spam.

My philosophy is that our "regulation" of CAs should focus on those
things that are most directly relevant to their activities as CAs, and
that we should not use the Mozilla CA policy as a mechanism to try to
punish CAs for other activities they might engage in. If you and others
disagree with that philosophy then you all are free to try to convince
the appropriate people

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Module_Owners_Activities_Modules#Governance_Submodule:__Module_Ownership_System

to override my views on the matter.

Julien R Pierre - Sun Microsystems

Mar 12, 2009, 8:16:28 PM3/12/09
Eddy,

Eddy Nigg wrote:

> Once when I was naive enough and clicked for "unsubscribe" I've got ten
> times the amount of spam (since I just confirmed to them that I've read
> it and the account is real) until I closed the account altogether. Bad
> idea, no trust relationship exists in this respect.

Not true, there is a trust relationship : once you click, they can trust
your e-mail address is real . :)

And very often you won't even need to click, if you have remote images
enabled in your email.

Eddy Nigg

Mar 12, 2009, 8:30:22 PM3/12/09
On 03/13/2009 02:16 AM, Julien R Pierre - Sun Microsystems:

> Not true, there is a trust relationship : once you click, they can trust
> your e-mail address is real . :)

LOL

> And very often you won't even need to click, if you have remote images
> enabled in your email.

Nope, luckily I'm using Thunderbird with its default settings.