Setting a schedule for CA evaluations

Frank Hecker

Oct 2, 2008, 11:11:24 AM10/2/08
My apologies for having gone silent for a while; with Mark Surman (the
new Mozilla Foundation executive director) coming on board I've been
busy helping him get started and taking care of related
responsibilities. However I now have more time, and I'm going to be
devoting it to getting more CA request processed.

Right now we have over 40 CA requests in the queue. After thinking about
it, I have decided that the best way to proceed is to have a published
schedule for when we will look at each of these requests. This will
provide some predictability for the CAs, give us deadlines we can work
toward, and allow us to be held accountable for meeting those deadlines.
I've published an initial version of such a schedule at:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Schedule

There are some additional points worth commenting on:

* I'm going to try for one CA request processed per week, which means
that at any given time we'll have two CAs in public comment periods. We
can revise the schedule later if it turns out that we can process
requests faster than one per week, or if it turns out that we need more
time for particular CAs.

* Right now I have the public comment periods starting on Mondays. If
people would prefer the comment periods to start on other days I'm open
to changing this. (For example, another option would be to start comment
periods on Friday, for people who like to look at these over the weekend.)

* I am no longer going to try to coordinate CA evaluations with the
Firefox release schedule, at least not explicitly. It was just too
difficult, especially when code freeze dates kept changing. If for some
reason we'd like to get a particular CA's request processed for a
particulare Firefox release, we can just revise the schedule to put the
CA into an earlier slot.

* The current schedule has only two CAs scheduled. I will add more CAs
to the schedule as I figure out what the state of their requests is, and
whether and when they're ready to go into the public comment phase.

If you have any questions or comments about this please let me know.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker
hec...@mozillafoundation.org

Eddy Nigg

Oct 2, 2008, 12:28:54 PM10/2/08
On 10/02/2008 06:11 PM, Frank Hecker:

> I've published an initial version of such a schedule at:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:Schedule

This is absolutely fantastic, well done! I was already worried what's
happening with all the pending requests, this sounds to me organized and
doable.

> * Right now I have the public comment periods starting on Mondays. If
> people would prefer the comment periods to start on other days I'm open
> to changing this. (For example, another option would be to start comment
> periods on Friday, for people who like to look at these over the weekend.)

Yes, if possible, please make the announcement at Thursday's, which
would allow for scheduling for the weekend (I review CAs indeed usually
at weekends).

--
Regards

Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
Jabber: star...@startcom.org
Blog: https://blog.startcom.org

Frank Hecker

Oct 2, 2008, 12:37:17 PM10/2/08
Eddy Nigg wrote:
> Yes, if possible, please make the announcement at Thursday's, which
> would allow for scheduling for the weekend (I review CAs indeed usually
> at weekends).

OK, if no one cares one way or the other I'll move the start of public
comments to Thursdays.

Eddy Nigg

Oct 11, 2008, 7:26:18 AM10/11/08
On 10/02/2008 07:37 PM, Frank Hecker:

> OK, if no one cares one way or the other I'll move the start of public
> comments to Thursdays.

Shouldn't have been there an announcement for bug 371362 or shall we
simply follow the schedule? I guess a summary from you would be in any
case useful as you've done with Microsec. Please advice...

Frank Hecker

Oct 12, 2008, 8:40:41 AM10/12/08
Eddy Nigg wrote:
> Shouldn't have been there an announcement for bug 371362 or shall we
> simply follow the schedule? I guess a summary from you would be in any
> case useful as you've done with Microsec. Please advice...

Sorry, there wasn't an announcement because I was too busy with other
stuff to close out phase 1 of public comment on Microsec. I'm going to
make some comments on Microsec, and then push the whole schedule back a
few days to account for my delays. My apologies...