How to Detect Firefox Updates Externaly?

1 view

mic...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2006, 2:46:08 PM11/13/06
Is there an easy way for a third party program to detect if Firefox is
installed and whether or not it's fully patched (security fixes only).

My company has come under the attack of websites exploiting old
security holes against our users in order to install keyloggers on
their computers. We would like our software to check to see if the
user has Firefox installed and if it is fully up to date in terms of
security patches or not. I don't mind researching this myself so if
someone can just point me in the right direction to get started that
would work too.

Frank Wein

Nov 14, 2006, 2:33:32 PM11/14/06

You could check the version header of firefox.exe (if this is Windows)
if it is equal to the current version available for download on
mozilla.org/com. Firefox 1.5.0.x should normally update itself though
with the correct preferences and write access to the app folder...

Frank

mic...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2006, 3:07:57 PM11/14/06
Is there a registry key I can look at to find out where Firefox.exe can
be found? Also, we want this to be automated so is there a place I can
go on mozilla.org to find the all the current "latest" versions
(Firefox 1.5.0.8 and 2.0.0.0 right now) through an automated process?