Amusing?

Eddy Nigg

Jun 8, 2011, 5:48:43 PM6/8/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org

Walter...@rsa.com

Jun 8, 2011, 6:01:20 PM6/8/11
to eddy...@startcom.org, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Very sad. At least the key itself is encrypted...

Eddy Nigg

Jun 8, 2011, 6:12:05 PM6/8/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
On 06/09/2011 01:01 AM, From Walter...@rsa.com:

> Very sad. At least the key itself is encrypted...

I guess a little bash script would do wonders to that key ;-)

John Wilander

Jun 8, 2011, 6:19:00 PM6/8/11
to Eddy Nigg, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Paul Crowley (@ciphergoth) claims he checked it and it's expired. Anyway,
should *not* be public on the web server.

/John

2011/6/9 Eddy Nigg <eddy...@startcom.org>

> On 06/09/2011 01:01 AM, From Walter...@rsa.com:
>

> Very sad. At least the key itself is encrypted...
>>

> I guess a little bash script would do wonders to that key ;-)
>

> --
> Regards
>
> Signer: Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd.
> XMPP: star...@startcom.org
> Blog: http://blog.startcom.org/
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/eddy_nigg

John Wilander, https://twitter.com/johnwilander
Chapter co-leader OWASP Sweden, http://owaspsweden.blogspot.com
Conf Comm, http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Conferences_Committee<http://owaspsweden.blogspot.com>

Eddy Nigg

Jun 8, 2011, 6:27:01 PM6/8/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
On 06/09/2011 01:19 AM, From John Wilander:

> Paul Crowley (@ciphergoth) claims he checked it and it's expired. Anyway,
> should *not* be public on the web server.

True. Still, who knows for how long it has been there? Anyway, it's kind
of amusing to see a CA publish its keys on the web, even if it's "just"
for their web site. Considering that this site is supposed to secure the
connection to a site that issues certificates.... :-)

Eddy Nigg

Jun 8, 2011, 6:28:05 PM6/8/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
On 06/09/2011 01:27 AM, From Eddy Nigg:

> True. Still, who knows for how long it has been there? Anyway, it's
> kind of amusing to see a CA publish its keys on the web, even if it's
> "just" for their web site. Considering that this site is supposed to
> secure the connection to a site that issues certificates.... :-)

According to the last modified time-stamp it's been there since 28-May-2009

Eddy Nigg

Jun 8, 2011, 6:28:05 PM6/8/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
On 06/09/2011 01:27 AM, From Eddy Nigg:
> True. Still, who knows for how long it has been there? Anyway, it's
> kind of amusing to see a CA publish its keys on the web, even if it's
> "just" for their web site. Considering that this site is supposed to
> secure the connection to a site that issues certificates.... :-)

According to the last modified time-stamp it's been there since 28-May-2009

Peter Gutmann

Jun 8, 2011, 10:39:53 PM6/8/11
to eddy...@startcom.org, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org, Walter...@rsa.com
Walter...@rsa.com writes:

>Very sad. At least the key itself is encrypted...

Brute-forcing it right now. Stand by.

(Looks like Achmed will get his CA after all :-).

Peter.

Erwann Abalea

Jun 9, 2011, 6:57:05 AM6/9/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
A 1024 bits RSA key, a certificate signed with SHA1, and a sequential serial number. So far, so good.
One more CA to deactivate on my machines.

Erwann Abalea

Jun 9, 2011, 6:57:05 AM6/9/11
to mozilla.dev.s...@googlegroups.com, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org

Eddy Nigg

Jun 9, 2011, 7:22:49 AM6/9/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
On 06/09/2011 01:57 PM, From Erwann Abalea:

> A 1024 bits RSA key, a certificate signed with SHA1, and a sequential serial number. So far, so good.
> One more CA to deactivate on my machines.

Actually I couldn't find it in the Authorities tab. It's included
according to
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/included/#Certigna%20of%20Dhimyotis
but can't locate it in FF4.

Franck Leroy

Jun 10, 2011, 2:39:47 AM6/10/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
What a shame for a FRENCH CA...

Erwann you can remove it, they do not sell anything ;-)

Franck, from my android.

Message has been deleted

Jan Schejbal

Jun 10, 2011, 11:24:01 AM6/10/11
Am 2011-06-09 12:57, schrieb Erwann Abalea:
> a certificate signed with SHA1, and a sequential serial number

Where is the problem with that? I thought SHA1 is still the standard and
only MD5 is vulnerable.

All the 1024 bit CAs are making me a bit worried, though.

Kind regards,
Jan

--
Please avoid sending mails, use the group instead.
If you really need to send me an e-mail, mention "FROM NG"

Erwann Abalea

Jun 10, 2011, 12:55:27 PM6/10/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org, jan.sche...@gmx.de
Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 17:24:01 UTC+2, Jan Schejbal a écrit :
> Am 2011-06-09 12:57, schrieb Erwann Abalea:
> > a certificate signed with SHA1, and a sequential serial number
>
> Where is the problem with that? I thought SHA1 is still the standard and
> only MD5 is vulnerable.

Mozilla, Opera, and Microsoft require some random bits in the serial number. A predictible serial number is a problem with a non collision resistant hash function (such as MD5, and maybe SHA1 in a near future). Having randomness in the serial number allows the CA to still use such a hash function securely to produce certificates.
Consider this as a free seat belt, put in evidence in 2004.

> All the 1024 bit CAs are making me a bit worried, though.

There shouldn't be any left. Do you still have some in your certificate store?

Erwann Abalea

Jun 10, 2011, 12:55:27 PM6/10/11
to mozilla.dev.s...@googlegroups.com, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org, jan.sche...@gmx.de
Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 17:24:01 UTC+2, Jan Schejbal a écrit :
> Am 2011-06-09 12:57, schrieb Erwann Abalea:
> > a certificate signed with SHA1, and a sequential serial number
>
> Where is the problem with that? I thought SHA1 is still the standard and
> only MD5 is vulnerable.

Mozilla, Opera, and Microsoft require some random bits in the serial number. A predictible serial number is a problem with a non collision resistant hash function (such as MD5, and maybe SHA1 in a near future). Having randomness in the serial number allows the CA to still use such a hash function securely to produce certificates.

Consider this as a free seat belt, put in evidence in 2004.

> All the 1024 bit CAs are making me a bit worried, though.

There shouldn't be any left. Do you still have some in your certificate store?

Walter...@rsa.com

Jun 10, 2011, 1:43:59 PM6/10/11
to mozilla.dev.s...@googlegroups.com, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
I have FF4.0.1 and there is at least 1 1024 bit CA in my certificate store.

OU = DSTCA E1
O = Digital Signature Trust Co.
C = US

jan.sche...@gmx.de
> Subject: Re : Re: Re : Amusing?
>
> Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 17:24:01 UTC+2, Jan Schejbal a écrit :

> > Am 2011-06-09 12:57, schrieb Erwann Abalea:
> > > a certificate signed with SHA1, and a sequential serial number
> >
> > Where is the problem with that? I thought SHA1 is still the standard
> > and only MD5 is vulnerable.
>

> Mozilla, Opera, and Microsoft require some random bits in the serial
number.
> A predictible serial number is a problem with a non collision resistant
hash
> function (such as MD5, and maybe SHA1 in a near future). Having
> randomness in the serial number allows the CA to still use such a hash
> function securely to produce certificates.
> Consider this as a free seat belt, put in evidence in 2004.
>

> > All the 1024 bit CAs are making me a bit worried, though.
>

> There shouldn't be any left. Do you still have some in your certificate
store?

Eddy Nigg

Jun 10, 2011, 2:11:57 PM6/10/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
On 06/10/2011 08:43 PM, From Walter...@rsa.com:

> I have FF4.0.1 and there is at least 1 1024 bit CA in my certificate store.

Is this a Builtin Object? I suspect not...

Walter...@rsa.com

Jun 10, 2011, 3:12:26 PM6/10/11
to eddy...@startcom.org, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
It's definitely built in; I have a screen shot I can send offlist (my first
message got held up in moderator queue). In any case, I thought that 1024
bit root CA certs weren’t scheduled to be removed from NSS until Dec 2013
based on earlier discussions? Was that date pulled in?

Eddy Nigg

Jun 10, 2011, 5:51:03 PM6/10/11
to Walter...@rsa.com, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
On 06/10/2011 10:12 PM, From Walter...@rsa.com:

> It's definitely built in; I have a screen shot I can send offlist (my first message got held up in moderator queue). In any case, I thought that 1024 bit root CA certs weren’t scheduled to be removed from NSS until Dec 2013 based on earlier discussions? Was that date pulled in?

I'm not sure about the scedule, hopefully Kathleen has this one already
on her radar.

Eddy Nigg

Jun 10, 2011, 5:51:11 PM6/10/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
On 06/10/2011 10:12 PM, From Walter...@rsa.com:
> It's definitely built in; I have a screen shot I can send offlist (my first message got held up in moderator queue). In any case, I thought that 1024 bit root CA certs weren’t scheduled to be removed from NSS until Dec 2013 based on earlier discussions? Was that date pulled in?

I'm not sure about the schedule, hopefully Kathleen has this one already
on her radar.

Walter...@rsa.com

Jun 10, 2011, 2:49:42 PM6/10/11
to eddy...@startcom.org, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
It's definitely built in; see the attached screen shot (if the mail server
doesn’t strip it out). In any case, I thought that 1024 bit root CA certs

Walter...@rsa.com:

http://blog.startcom.org/

> Twitter: <http://twitter.com/eddy_nigg> http://twitter.com/eddy_nigg

Erwann Abalea

Jun 13, 2011, 6:03:18 AM6/13/11
Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 20:11:57 UTC+2, Eddy Nigg a écrit :
> On 06/10/2011 08:43 PM, From Walter...@rsa.com:
> > I have FF4.0.1 and there is at least 1 1024 bit CA in my certificate store.
>
> Is this a Builtin Object? I suspect not...

I downloaded the source code and checked, this CA is a bundled one. On Firefox 3.6 also.

Strange it doesn't appear in the following list:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/included/

But it exists in the linked spreadsheet.

Erwann Abalea

Jun 13, 2011, 6:03:18 AM6/13/11
to mozilla.dev.s...@googlegroups.com, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 20:11:57 UTC+2, Eddy Nigg a écrit :
> On 06/10/2011 08:43 PM, From Walter...@rsa.com:
> > I have FF4.0.1 and there is at least 1 1024 bit CA in my certificate store.
>
> Is this a Builtin Object? I suspect not...

I downloaded the source code and checked, this CA is a bundled one. On Firefox 3.6 also.

Kathleen Wilson

Jun 13, 2011, 1:31:17 PM6/13/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org

Yannick, CTO Certigna

Jun 14, 2011, 9:26:27 AM6/14/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Everything comes from a "strange" article published on an English
website on June 9.
We responded and issued a notice on our site : http://www.certigna.fr/archives/2995

There is no damage for the Certigna root, sub-CAs, or end-user
certificates.
The key was an old (expired since July 2010) test key for our website.

ALL our authority keys are inside HSM !

Our root CA and all our subCAs are 2048 bits.
And much of our end-users certificates are now 2048 bits with SHA-256.

Some messages are posted by our french competitors… no comment.

Best Regards,

Erwann Abalea

Jun 15, 2011, 5:37:05 AM6/15/11
Le mardi 14 juin 2011 15:26:27 UTC+2, Yannick, CTO Certigna a écrit :
> Everything comes from a "strange" article published on an English
> website on June 9.
> We responded and issued a notice on our site : http://www.certigna.fr/archives/2995
>
> There is no damage for the Certigna root, sub-CAs, or end-user
> certificates.
> The key was an old (expired since July 2010) test key for our website.
>
> ALL our authority keys are inside HSM !

I'm confident this private key is not a CA key, and that your CA keys are all in HSMs.

Whether it's old, expired or a test one is irrelevant here. It's a private key. And it should have been kept secret. On one hand, failures can happen, the key was encrypted, and it may have been an unimportant key (but unless it's been decrypted, we can't be certain of that). On the other hand, your business turns around PKI, cryptography, private key management, and that kind of error, even if the key is unimportant, lifts up some doubts on your procedures.

> Our root CA and all our subCAs are 2048 bits.
> And much of our end-users certificates are now 2048 bits with SHA-256.

But not your website's. And I insist, SHA1 is still permitted (after all, the SHA2 family is not always usable, and no SHA1 collision has been exhibited yet), but there's no reason to use a predictable serial number. You're not following Opera, Microsoft, and Mozilla rules on this point.

> Some messages are posted by our french competitors… no comment.

And so what? We're pretty all working for competitors, and some people post here under their private identity (as I do, because I'm personally interested in cryptography, and this interest started nearly 30 years ago).

Criticism is the rule here, you should have noticed it when you applied for inclusion into the Mozilla CA list. Criticism doesn't not stop when your CA is included, as recent events show; I'm thinking about Comodo, I find that Rob Stradling did a good job facing far more offensive threads than this one.
Criticizing is not bashing or trolling. Comodo events just led to more work on CA/RA policies, work done on MD2/4/5 by Chinese researchers in 2004 led to enhancements in CA practices (that's where the requirements for random serial numbers come from), critics against Izenpe OCSP responders pushed them to implement compliant designs. I'm sure you can find more examples.

BTW (for other readers), I work for one of the "french competitors".

--
Erwann.

Erwann Abalea

Jun 15, 2011, 5:37:05 AM6/15/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Le mardi 14 juin 2011 15:26:27 UTC+2, Yannick, CTO Certigna a écrit :
> Everything comes from a "strange" article published on an English
> website on June 9.
> We responded and issued a notice on our site : http://www.certigna.fr/archives/2995
>
> There is no damage for the Certigna root, sub-CAs, or end-user
> certificates.
> The key was an old (expired since July 2010) test key for our website.
>
> ALL our authority keys are inside HSM !

I'm confident this private key is not a CA key, and that your CA keys are all in HSMs.

Whether it's old, expired or a test one is irrelevant here. It's a private key. And it should have been kept secret. On one hand, failures can happen, the key was encrypted, and it may have been an unimportant key (but unless it's been decrypted, we can't be certain of that). On the other hand, your business turns around PKI, cryptography, private key management, and that kind of error, even if the key is unimportant, lifts up some doubts on your procedures.

> Our root CA and all our subCAs are 2048 bits.

> And much of our end-users certificates are now 2048 bits with SHA-256.

But not your website's. And I insist, SHA1 is still permitted (after all, the SHA2 family is not always usable, and no SHA1 collision has been exhibited yet), but there's no reason to use a predictable serial number. You're not following Opera, Microsoft, and Mozilla rules on this point.

> Some messages are posted by our french competitors… no comment.

And so what? We're pretty all working for competitors, and some people post here under their private identity (as I do, because I'm personally interested in cryptography, and this interest started nearly 30 years ago).

Erwann Abalea

Jun 15, 2011, 10:28:15 AM6/15/11
Le lundi 13 juin 2011 19:31:17 UTC+2, Kathleen Wilson a écrit :
> On 6/13/11 3:03 AM, Erwann Abalea wrote:
> > Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 20:11:57 UTC+2, Eddy Nigg a écrit :
> >> On 06/10/2011 08:43 PM, From Walt...@rsa.com:

> >> Is this a Builtin Object? I suspect not...
> >
> > I downloaded the source code and checked, this CA is a bundled one. On Firefox 3.6 also.
> >
> > Strange it doesn't appear in the following list:
> > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/included/
> >
> > But it exists in the linked spreadsheet.
> >

> It's here:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/included/#Certigna%20of%20Dhimyotis

Walter was talking about the CA named

OU = DSTCA E1
O = Digital Signature Trust Co.
C = US

2 of them exist in Firefox source code, also in the spreadsheet, but not on the simple web page.

Erwann Abalea

Jun 15, 2011, 10:28:15 AM6/15/11
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Le lundi 13 juin 2011 19:31:17 UTC+2, Kathleen Wilson a écrit :
> On 6/13/11 3:03 AM, Erwann Abalea wrote:
> > Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 20:11:57 UTC+2, Eddy Nigg a écrit :
> >> On 06/10/2011 08:43 PM, From Walt...@rsa.com:

> >> Is this a Builtin Object? I suspect not...
> >
> > I downloaded the source code and checked, this CA is a bundled one. On Firefox 3.6 also.
> >
> > Strange it doesn't appear in the following list:
> > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/included/
> >
> > But it exists in the linked spreadsheet.
> >

> It's here:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/included/#Certigna%20of%20Dhimyotis

Walter was talking about the CA named

Kathleen Wilson

Jun 15, 2011, 1:26:03 PM6/15/11
On 6/15/11 7:28 AM, Erwann Abalea wrote:
> Le lundi 13 juin 2011 19:31:17 UTC+2, Kathleen Wilson a �crit :

>> On 6/13/11 3:03 AM, Erwann Abalea wrote:
>>> Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 20:11:57 UTC+2, Eddy Nigg a �crit :

>>> I downloaded the source code and checked, this CA is a bundled one. On Firefox 3.6 also.
>>>
>>> Strange it doesn't appear in the following list:
>>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/included/
>>>
>>> But it exists in the linked spreadsheet.
>>>

>> It's here:
>>
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/included/#Certigna%20of%20Dhimyotis
>
> Walter was talking about the CA named
>
> OU = DSTCA E1
> O = Digital Signature Trust Co.
> C = US
>
> 2 of them exist in Firefox source code, also in the spreadsheet, but not on the simple web page.

Yes, there are two Identrust roots in NSS that were added before March
1, 2007, so they are not listed in the included page at
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/included/

As stated at the top of the simple web page: "This is a list of
companies and certificates included in the Mozilla project Root CA store
after March 1st, 2007. This list represents the information that was
considered when the CA applied for inclusion of their root."

Kathleen

Yannick, CTO Certigna

Jun 15, 2011, 5:51:04 PM6/15/11
Le mercredi 15 juin 2011 11:37:05 UTC+2, Erwann Abalea a écrit :

> Whether it's old......it should have been kept secret. ........your business turns around PKI, cryptography........... even if the key is unimportant, lifts up some doubts on your procedures.

- About our procedures : we have the same standards (french RGS and ETSI) and auditors as yours, so I hope they are reasonably good. But we are constantly trying to improve them.
- About this incident : I agree that this key wouldn't be there. A mistake + a severe warning (buzz ?) from the web. So we work to enhance and extend the scope of our procedures.

> > Our root CA and all our subCAs are 2048 bits.
> > And much of our end-users certificates are now 2048 bits with SHA-256.

> But not your website's. And I insist, SHA1 is still permitted..........but there's no reason to use a predictable serial number.

- Yes, our website is with a SHA-1 certificate. It was for compatibility with Windows XP sp2 and IE. SSL is required only in the customer area accessed with a mutual authentication. A new website is coming soon.
- About the serial numbers : we made the change. It is being tested and it will be effective beginning july.

> And so what? We're pretty all working for competitors, ......... I'm personally interested in cryptography, ........ Criticism is the rule here, you should have noticed it when you applied for inclusion into the Mozilla CA list. Criticism doesn't not stop when your CA is included,........Criticizing is not bashing or trolling.

I agree with all of that. Criticizing makes us move forward. But I don't see messages like #4 or #5 as constructive criticism !

> Comodo events just led to more work on CA/RA policies, work done on MD2/4/5 by Chinese researchers............ I'm sure you can find more examples.

That's the right way "state of the art" progresses.

Yannick

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jean-Marc Desperrier

Jun 16, 2011, 8:19:53 AM6/16/11
Eddy Nigg wrote:
> On 06/10/2011 10:12 PM, From Walter...@rsa.com:
>>> OU = DSTCA E1
>>> O = Digital Signature Trust Co.
>>> C = US
>> It's definitely built in; I have a screen shot I can send offlist (my
>> first message got held up in moderator queue). In any case, I thought
>> that 1024 bit root CA certs weren’t scheduled to be removed from NSS
>> until Dec 2013 based on earlier discussions? Was that date pulled in?
>
> I'm not sure about the schedule, hopefully Kathleen has this one already
> on her radar.

It could useful to check in the SSL observatory how many certificates
actually use this CA.