Many Flash 8/9 animations with OS/2 - NOW!

1 view

Herwig Bauernfeind

Apr 5, 2007, 2:02:11 AM4/5/07
Hi all,

during a discussion about Flash and OS/2 in a German OS/2 Forum
http://de.os2.org/forum/diskussion/
I discovered that applying two simple patches to the well known Flash 7
plugin files floating around enables us to view many Flash animations
which claim to be designed for Flash 8 and 9 which is not available for
OS/2.

Here is the cookbook:

1.) Close SM/FF/Moz and go into the plugin directory and run your
favorite hex editor.

2.) In npswf2.dll (the wrapper DLL) search for 7.0 r69 and change that
to 9.0 r69. Save the changed file.

3.) In npswf32.dll (the original Win32 DLL) search for 7,0,69 and change
that to 9,0,69.

4.) Delete pluginreg.dat

5.) Restart SM/FF/Moz.

Now about:plugins reports that 9.0 r69 is installed and even
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
reports that version 9.0.69 is installed.

Sure, this is only faking the version number, nothing more.

BUT: Many (in fact most, but NOT all) websites/Flash animatimations or
videos that claim to be Flash 8/9 only and refuse to run with the
"original" Flash 7 plugin run nicely without any problem using this fake
Flash 9 plugin.

Of course the number of "true" Flash 8/9 animations/videos that cannot
be displayed using this forgery will increase over time.

The worst thing so far I saw was that the animation or video just stays
empty, but the majority I tried really works, either fully or at least
partly.

This has been confirmed to work by a few others that tried the same.

Kind regards,
Herwig

Mark Klebanoff

Apr 5, 2007, 6:53:30 AM4/5/07
for those of us who are not knowledgeable about hex editors, could you
post the files somewhere, or at least email them to me?

tia

Thu, 5 Apr 2007 06:02:11 UTC, Herwig Bauernfeind
<herwig.DESPA...@aon.at> wrote:

Peter Brown

Apr 5, 2007, 8:24:15 PM4/5/07
Hi Herwig

Well, sounds like a few more flash clips may work.

Talking of flash7r69 has anyone got the npswf32.dll file unwrapped from
the windows installer and stashed somewhere? - Please :-)

Thanks

Pete

Dave Saville

Apr 6, 2007, 5:29:34 AM4/6/07
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 05:53:30 -0500, Mark Klebanoff wrote:

>> Here is the cookbook:
>>
>> 1.) Close SM/FF/Moz and go into the plugin directory and run your
>> favorite hex editor.
>>
>> 2.) In npswf2.dll (the wrapper DLL) search for 7.0 r69 and change that
>> to 9.0 r69. Save the changed file.
>>
>> 3.) In npswf32.dll (the original Win32 DLL) search for 7,0,69 and change
>> that to 9,0,69.
>>
>> 4.) Delete pluginreg.dat
>>
>> 5.) Restart SM/FF/Moz.

Having trouble locating the strings - any idea of offset & can it also be done
with the r14 version? In which case what does one zap it to?

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Jimmy

Apr 6, 2007, 7:26:30 AM4/6/07

I found the string in the Flash7a R14 original npswf32.dll and changed
(37 to 39)
7,0,14
9,0,14

Seems to work ok, www.youtube.com seemed to like it and Macromedia
test
properly reported it as version 9.0.14

Herwig Bauernfeind

Apr 6, 2007, 9:49:09 AM4/6/07
Mark Klebanoff schrieb:

> for those of us who are not knowledgeable about hex editors, could you
> post the files somewhere, or at least email them to me?

http://members.aon.at/herwig.bauernfeind/flash7r69-patches.zip

This is a zip file with 2 patch files to be used with PATCH.EXE coming
with OS/2 against the 7r69 files npswf2.dll and npswf32.dll.

For obvious reasons I cannot post or upload the whole files anywhere.

Kind regards,
Herwig

Herwig Bauernfeind

Apr 6, 2007, 10:01:13 AM4/6/07
Hi Peter

> Well, sounds like a few more flash clips may work.

In fact, quite a lot of them, if not to say most.

I am a really surprised how many are working now.

It looks as if using Flash 8/9 for creating animations is one thing, but
using FEATURES of 8/9 seems to be a totally different thing...

Of course, over time, more and more will use FEATURES of 8/9 and then we
are out in the dark again.

> Talking of flash7r69 has anyone got the npswf32.dll file unwrapped from
> the windows installer and stashed somewhere? - Please :-)

I only remember

that's where I get them from :-)

You need a yahoo account for that.

Kind regards,
Herwig

Michael Lueck

Apr 6, 2007, 10:17:34 AM4/6/07
Peter Brown wrote:

> has anyone got the npswf32.dll file unwrapped from
> the windows installer and stashed somewhere? - Please :-)

Hi Peter-

Is version Shockwave Flash 9.0 r28 fine?

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems

Herwig Bauernfeind

Apr 6, 2007, 12:05:01 PM4/6/07
Michael Lueck schrieb:

> Peter Brown wrote:
>
>> has anyone got the npswf32.dll file unwrapped from the windows
>> installer and stashed somewhere? - Please :-)
>
> Hi Peter-
>
> Is version Shockwave Flash 9.0 r28 fine?

No, he needs a Version 7...

Kind regards,
Herwig

Peter Brown

Apr 6, 2007, 12:41:19 PM4/6/07
Hi Herwig

Thanks, download and installed :-)

Pete

Alan Beagley

Apr 6, 2007, 1:49:57 PM4/6/07
On 04/06/07 07:26 am Jimmy wrote:

> I found the string in the Flash7a R14 original npswf32.dll and changed
> (37 to 39)
> 7,0,14
> 9,0,14
>
> Seems to work ok, www.youtube.com seemed to like it and Macromedia
> test
> properly reported it as version 9.0.14

I patched the r69 version, then visited the Macromedia site and saw at
least part of the animation but saw nothing that told me what version it
identified.

By "part of the animation" I mean that I saw an animation in the
leftmost third of the "animation window" but nothing but a small dot or
circle in the remaining two parts. What did *you* see?

Also, some of the sites I have visited show animated video but without
sound.

And www.cocacola.com insisted that I had the wrong version of Flash.

-=-
Alan

Dave Yeo

Apr 6, 2007, 8:16:06 PM4/6/07
Alan Beagley wrote:

> Also, some of the sites I have visited show animated video but without
> sound.

No sound on some sites, eg youtube is a known issue with the OS/2 flash
excepting Flash 5 IIRC
Dave

Jimmy

Apr 6, 2007, 8:56:38 PM4/6/07

If you acquire the original Flash7a package that is R14, you can goto
www.youtube.com and play and 'listen' to all of the flash videos
presented.
If you 'spoof-up' the npswf32.dll R14 that is contained in that
Flash7a
package, zapping it from 7,0,14 to whatever? 9,0,14 or 9,0,28 or
9,0,69 it will still work fine at youtube, and most sites. So far,
the only
site that appears to be smart enough to catch the spoof is the
aforenoted
www.cocacola.com site. Since 9.0.28 is the current Adobe Flash
version
I left my spoof-up set with 9,0,28

Alan Beagley

Apr 7, 2007, 1:02:01 AM4/7/07
On 04/06/07 08:56 pm Jimmy wrote:

> If you acquire the original Flash7a package that is R14, you can goto
> www.youtube.com and play and 'listen' to all of the flash videos
> presented.
> If you 'spoof-up' the npswf32.dll R14 that is contained in that
> Flash7a
> package, zapping it from 7,0,14 to whatever? 9,0,14 or 9,0,28 or
> 9,0,69 it will still work fine at youtube, and most sites. So far,
> the only
> site that appears to be smart enough to catch the spoof is the
> aforenoted
> www.cocacola.com site. Since 9.0.28 is the current Adobe Flash
> version
> I left my spoof-up set with 9,0,28

I don't get sound at YouTube even with unpatched Flash 7.0 r14. And
there was no compreg.dat file to delete.

-=-
Alan

Jimmy

Apr 7, 2007, 1:39:16 AM4/7/07

> >www.cocacola.comsite. Since 9.0.28 is the current Adobe Flash

> > version
> > I left my spoof-up set with 9,0,28
>
> I don't get sound at YouTube even with unpatched Flash 7.0 r14. And
> there was no compreg.dat file to delete.
>
> -=-
> Alan

That does not appear to be possible. Both Firefox and Seamonkey have
an
accessible COMPREG.DAT and PLUGINREG.DAT associated with your
browsers profile. You need to go back and checkout your setup. As
for
this Flash stuff, in general, you should be running with FlashBlock
1.5.2
so that you can more easily diagnose this OS2 flash operation. You
should at least be able to go to the Adobe\Macromedia test site.
www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
and test your npswf32.dll inuse. The test will produce sound as you
move
the cursor over the Adobe Flash Player test box.

Steve Wendt

Apr 7, 2007, 7:09:33 AM4/7/07
Alan Beagley wrote:

> I don't get sound at YouTube even with unpatched Flash 7.0 r14.

If you are running with LIBPATHSTRICT, you need to patch flashwin.dll.
There's a version already patched available here (see ReadmeFlash.txt):
http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

I doubt r69 works any better than r68 (which has problems with the
Odin-based flashwin that aren't present in r14); if someone has evidence
otherwise, I can update the package...

Peter Brown

Apr 7, 2007, 9:30:14 AM4/7/07
Hi Alan

I have no idea why people keep on about deleting a compreg.dat file when
updating plugins.

The file to delete is pluginreg.dat - or maybe I should say that it is
the file to delete on any system here that has just had a plugin update.

Deleting compreg.dat achieves absolutely nothing here with regard to
plugin updates it seems. As an eg:-

I recently updated 4 systems from java142_05 sdk to 142_09 sdk. Deleting
the compreg.dat file on the 1st system and then starting Seamonkey
resulted in the "java plugin version mismatch" error message.

Deleting pluginreg.dat cured that problem.

Obviously I did not bother deleting compreg.dat on the other 3 systems -
only pluginreg.dat. All 3 systems ran Seamonkey and displayed java
applets without problems.

Regards

Pete

Alan Beagley

Apr 7, 2007, 1:04:06 PM4/7/07
On 04/07/07 01:39 am Jimmy wrote:

>> I don't get sound at YouTube even with unpatched Flash 7.0 r14. And
>> there was no compreg.dat file to delete.

> That does not appear to be possible. Both Firefox and Seamonkey have

> an
> accessible COMPREG.DAT and PLUGINREG.DAT associated with your
> browsers profile. You need to go back and checkout your setup.

I found both, but they were not in the Firefox directory tree; they were
in subdirectories of the MOZILLA_HOME-identified directory.

As
> for
> this Flash stuff, in general, you should be running with FlashBlock
> 1.5.2
> so that you can more easily diagnose this OS2 flash operation. You
> should at least be able to go to the Adobe\Macromedia test site.
> www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
> and test your npswf32.dll inuse. The test will produce sound as you
> move
> the cursor over the Adobe Flash Player test box.

That page tells me I have Flash 7.0 r14, but I don't get any sound. What
else am I missing?

-=-
Alan

Alan Beagley

Apr 7, 2007, 8:38:55 PM4/7/07
On 04/07/07 01:04 pm I wrote:

>> As for
>> this Flash stuff, in general, you should be running with FlashBlock
>> 1.5.2
>> so that you can more easily diagnose this OS2 flash operation. You
>> should at least be able to go to the Adobe\Macromedia test site.
>> www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
>> and test your npswf32.dll inuse. The test will produce sound as you
>> move
>> the cursor over the Adobe Flash Player test box.

> That page tells me I have Flash 7.0 r14, but I don't get any sound. What
> else am I missing?

Solved the no-sound problem by copying mdm.dll to the plugins directory.

-=-
Alan

Wolfi

Apr 8, 2007, 4:01:28 AM4/8/07
Am 05.04.07 01.02 schrieb Herwig Bauernfeind:

> Now about:plugins reports that 9.0 r69 is installed and even
> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
> reports that version 9.0.69 is installed.
>
> Sure, this is only faking the version number, nothing more.
>
> BUT: Many (in fact most, but NOT all) websites/Flash animatimations or
> videos that claim to be Flash 8/9 only and refuse to run with the
> "original" Flash 7 plugin run nicely without any problem using this fake
> Flash 9 plugin.

Unfortunately, Spiegel.de also seems to be one of those, where the trick
doesn't work. They usually require Flash8 since a few months.

At least on the live ticker page from the Formula 1 world champion ship race
in Malaysia nothing plays here :-(
http://www.spiegel.de/sport/formel1/0,1518,412190,00.html

Wolfi

Alex Taylor

Apr 10, 2007, 10:40:50 AM4/10/07

By the way, I was playing with this over the weekend, and I noticed that
your package only provides a LIBPATHSTRICT-patched version of the r68
files. The r14 files are unpatched; I had to hunt down FIXFLASH and patch
it myself before YouTube sound worked...

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

Nathan Liskov

Apr 10, 2007, 9:11:31 PM4/10/07
This trick works for me - nice to get youtube and the new yahoo stock
graphs working.

However, Flash (with or without the patches) causes Firefox to hang my
OS/2 (ECS 1.2R) system, requiring a reboot. Each hang causes a new
entry in EXCEPT.LOG which is located in my plugins directory,
indicating a hardware exception in flashwin.dll.

I patched Flash 7.14 rather that 7.69 because sound worked when
starting from 7.14 but not when starting from 7.69.

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.2, but have had instability with Flash using
other version of Firefox. Other people have reported stability
problems with Flash in OS/2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nate Liskov

--
nate_...@lcs.mit.edu http://nateliskov.kicks-ass.org
or http://home.comcast.net/~nateliskov

Jimmy

Apr 10, 2007, 10:18:43 PM4/10/07
On Apr 10, 6:11 pm, "Nathan Liskov" <n...@lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
> This trick works for me - nice to get youtube and the new yahoo stock
> graphs working.
>
> However, Flash (with or without the patches) causes Firefox to hang my
> OS/2 (ECS 1.2R) system, requiring a reboot. Each hang causes a new
> entry in EXCEPT.LOG which is located in my plugins directory,
> indicating a hardware exception in flashwin.dll.
>
> I patched Flash 7.14 rather that 7.69 because sound worked when
> starting from 7.14 but not when starting from 7.69.
>
> I am using Firefox 2.0.0.2, but have had instability with Flash using
> other version of Firefox. Other people have reported stability
> problems with Flash in OS/2.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nate Liskov

Regarding stability, install FlashBlock 1.5.2
your browsing will be faster, and you will only
have to deal with the flashes that interest you.
If a particular flash on a popular page is causing
OS2/ECS exceptions, then you will know.

Steve Wendt

Apr 10, 2007, 10:56:54 PM4/10/07
Alex Taylor wrote:

> By the way, I was playing with this over the weekend, and I noticed that
> your package only provides a LIBPATHSTRICT-patched version of the r68
> files. The r14 files are unpatched; I had to hunt down FIXFLASH and patch
> it myself before YouTube sound worked...

The patch is in flashwin.dll, which is the same for both r14 and r68.
Am I missing something, or are you?

Herwig Bauernfeind

Apr 11, 2007, 3:04:56 AM4/11/07
Jimmy schrieb:
Amen. Exactly what I do.

Kind regards,
Herwig

Nathan Liskov

Apr 11, 2007, 11:03:47 PM4/11/07
Thanks Jimmy - an excellent idea.

So far it is working without any stability problems.

Youtube works OK, but Yahoo stock charts do not.

Nate Liskov

Alex Taylor

Apr 12, 2007, 10:50:28 AM4/12/07

Hmmm. I guess one of us is, but this happened to me on two different
systems. (In both cases I was updating a previously-installed Flash 7, so
maybe I messed something up.)

Carl Gehr

Apr 12, 2007, 4:07:21 PM4/12/07

OK, I should know: I do know that I have FlashBlock installed. I have
not been able to find any kind of 'About...' that will tell me what
level I have installed. Help, please...
Carl

Carl Gehr

Apr 12, 2007, 4:12:02 PM4/12/07
Herwig,

I downloaded the file you indicated, and I found a PATCH.EXE in the OS2
directory. Sorry, but now I'm clueless about what to do next. My
assumption is that the two files in the ZIP will turn a 7R69 file into a
9Rnn file... Correct?

Thanks,
Carl

Herwig Bauernfeind

Apr 13, 2007, 2:11:01 AM4/13/07
Carl Gehr schrieb:
Almost correct. They will turn 7r69 files into 9r69 files.

"help patch" is your friend.

Copy the 2 .pat files into the same directory as npswf2.dll and
npswf32.dll reside.

patch npswf2.dat /A
patch npswf32.dat /A

Kind regards,
Herwig

Carl Gehr

Apr 15, 2007, 10:37:05 AM4/15/07

Ah! I'd never used PATCH, so HELP never occurred to me. I was a little
concerned about just trying something. I did try:
PATCH ?
but that just said it could not find '?'...

Thank you very much!
Carl

Carl Gehr

Apr 15, 2007, 1:14:28 PM4/15/07

OK, I made a bad assumption. I do not hvae R69, but R63:
> File name: F:\MOZILLAUSER\MOZILLA\PLUGINS\npswf2.dll
> Shockwave Flash 7.0 r63
I discovered this after:
> [F:\MOZILLAUSER\MOZILLA\PLUGINS]patch npswf2.pat /A
> SYS1490: The system cannot find npswf2.dll.
>
> [F:\MOZILLAUSER\MOZILLA\PLUGINS]patch npswf32.pat /A
> SYS1595: The verification failed for npswf32.dll.
The first message is bothersome, because the file is certainly there:
> Directory of F:\MOZILLAUSER\MOZILLA\PLUGINS
>
> 6-26-06 3:00p 124,160 224 a--- npswf2.dll
> 3-29-07 5:17a 130 0 a--- npswf2.pat
> 12-07-05 7:29p 865,928 225 a--- NPSWF32.dll
> 4-06-07 9:42a 98 0 a--- npswf32.pat
The DLLs that I have were downloaded [already patched] from a source
that I cannot seem to find.

Can you provide a source for the 7R69 files? Or, is there an easy way
to modify the PAT files to fix R63 files?

Thanks again!
Carl

Steve Wendt

Apr 15, 2007, 2:06:34 PM4/15/07
Carl Gehr wrote:

> I discovered this after:
>> [F:\MOZILLAUSER\MOZILLA\PLUGINS]patch npswf2.pat /A
>> SYS1490: The system cannot find npswf2.dll.

As I recall, you also get this message when the file is in use. You
need to have your browser(s) closed.

Carl Gehr

Apr 15, 2007, 2:58:11 PM4/15/07
Ah! Makes a little sense...
But, if I close SM, I'll probably just get the validation error on that
file also.
Thanks!
Carl