A test build of npmp.dll

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 24, 2008, 12:50:53 AM2/24/08
Hi/2.

I've updated npmp.dll, which is MPlayer plugin for Mozilla family.

1. Supports a playlist such as ASX.
2. Supports simple status messages.
3. Supports simple interface, especially audio media.
'q' : quit
'<' : previous media
'>' : next media
space : toggle pause status
'9', '/' : volume down
'0', '*' : volume up
'f' : toggle full screen

You can get it here,

http://www.7xx.org/komh/npmp_test.zip

Just copy it to your Mozilla plugin directory.

--
KO Myung-Hun

Using Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.1.8
Under OS/2 Warp 4 for Korean with FixPak #15
On AMD ThunderBird 750 MHz with 512 MB RAM

Korean OS/2 User Community : http://www.ecomstation.co.kr

Rich Walsh

Feb 24, 2008, 4:12:05 AM2/24/08
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 05:50:53 UTC, KO Myung-Hun <ko...@chollian.net> wrote:

> I've updated npmp.dll, which is MPlayer plugin for Mozilla family.

Your readme file does not do a good job of explaining how to
set MPLAYER_PATH and MPLAYER_HOME. At first I had both set to
"H:\player" which is where 'mplayer.exe' and '.mplayer'. are
located. After several failed attempts, I finally realized they
had to be set to "H:\player\mplayer.exe" and "H:\player\.mplayer".

IOW, you didn't want the _path_, you wanted the *fully-qualified name*
of each. It would really help if you provided examples of how to set
these.

--
== == almost usable email address: Rich AT E-vertise.Com == ==

| New! DragText v3.9 with NLS support
Rich Walsh | A Distinctly Different Desktop Enhancement
Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/dragtext/

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 24, 2008, 10:00:47 AM2/24/08
Hi/2.

Rich Walsh wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 05:50:53 UTC, KO Myung-Hun <ko...@chollian.net> wrote:
>

>> I've updated npmp.dll, which is MPlayer plugin for Mozilla family.
>>

> Your readme file does not do a good job of explaining how to
> set MPLAYER_PATH and MPLAYER_HOME. At first I had both set to
> "H:\player" which is where 'mplayer.exe' and '.mplayer'. are
> located. After several failed attempts, I finally realized they
> had to be set to "H:\player\mplayer.exe" and "H:\player\.mplayer".
>
> IOW, you didn't want the _path_, you wanted the *fully-qualified name*
> of each. It would really help if you provided examples of how to set
> these.

Ok, I'll do that in a later release.

Steve Wendt

Feb 24, 2008, 1:55:35 PM2/24/08
On 02/23/08 09:50 pm, KO Myung-Hun wrote:

> I've updated npmp.dll, which is MPlayer plugin for Mozilla family.

With the original version, all I ever saw was a black plugin frame.
With this version, I see "Click here to play" and then "MPlayer
running..." but nothing ever plays. MPlayer is in the path, which I
thought was enough?

Steve Wendt

Feb 24, 2008, 2:09:31 PM2/24/08
On 02/24/08 10:55 am, Steve Wendt wrote:

> With the original version, all I ever saw was a black plugin frame.
> With this version, I see "Click here to play" and then "MPlayer
> running..." but nothing ever plays. MPlayer is in the path, which I
> thought was enough?

I get the same result if I have MPLAYER_PATH set to the fully qualified
name of the executable. Am I missing something?

Heikki Kekki

Feb 24, 2008, 4:35:10 PM2/24/08
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:09:31 UTC, Steve Wendt <spa...@forgetit.org>
wrote:

Readme.eng

Very simple plugin is provided. Copy 'npmp.dll' in this package to
Mozilla
plugins directory. This plugin works only with URL which point to media
file
directly. Script is not supported. In this case, you can use
'MediaPlayerConnectivity'.

BBC One-Minute World News plays with plugin.

--
Hessu
Feel free to correct my English :-)

Steve Wendt

Feb 24, 2008, 4:47:16 PM2/24/08
On 02/24/08 01:35 pm, Heikki Kekki wrote:

>>> With this version, I see "Click here to play" and then "MPlayer
>>> running..." but nothing ever plays.
>

> Copy 'npmp.dll' in this package to Mozilla plugins directory.

If I hadn't done that, I wouldn't see the messages. ;-)

> This plugin works only with URL which point to media file directly.

This has changed with this new test version, or so the announcement
indicates.

> In this case, you can use 'MediaPlayerConnectivity'.

I do use that, and have turned it off for testing the plugin.

> BBC One-Minute World News plays with plugin.

Like this, for example?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6900000/newsid_6903100/6903113.stm

Note that it uses asx, so the original version of the plugin would not
have worked. However, all I get is "MPlayer running..." without
anything else happening.

Rich Walsh

Feb 24, 2008, 6:00:02 PM2/24/08
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:09:31 UTC, Steve Wendt <spa...@forgetit.org> wrote:

To find out, start your browser:
- with stdout redirected to a file, or
- using Run! with the 'V' option, or
- with the '-console' commandline option

You'll see everything that mplayer has to say...

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 24, 2008, 8:53:33 PM2/24/08
Hi/2.

Steve Wendt wrote:
>> BBC One-Minute World News plays with plugin.
>
> Like this, for example?
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6900000/newsid_6903100/6903113.stm
>

> Note that it uses asx, so the original version of the plugin would not
> have worked. However, all I get is "MPlayer running..." without
> anything else happening.

That URL is the one of what I tested plugin with.

If you see 'MPlayer running...', maybe MPlayer is caching the stream.
You should wait for the cache to be filled for a while.

And you can confirm some debug message in 'npmp.log' of the directory
where your Mozilla family executable is there.

Finally, you can confirm MPlayer's output itself as the Rich's suggestion.

Steve Wendt

Feb 24, 2008, 10:25:27 PM2/24/08
On 02/24/08 05:53 pm, KO Myung-Hun wrote:

> If you see 'MPlayer running...', maybe MPlayer is caching the stream.
> You should wait for the cache to be filled for a while.

That's not it - eventually it goes back to "Click here to play"

> And you can confirm some debug message in 'npmp.log' of the directory
> where your Mozilla family executable is there.

That is quite uninformative...

> Finally, you can confirm MPlayer's output itself as the Rich's suggestion.

That provides clues - does SNAP overlay not work with the plugin?
Unable to get EnableSNAPAccess entry point!

If I switch to WarpOverlay, I get output, although the color-keying is
misaligned (which I only notice if I disable my config, which has
colorkey=0x000001).

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 24, 2008, 10:52:13 PM2/24/08
Hi/2.

Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 02/24/08 05:53 pm, KO Myung-Hun wrote:
>
>>> Like this, for example?
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6900000/newsid_6903100/6903113.stm
>>

>> If you see 'MPlayer running...', maybe MPlayer is caching the stream.
>> You should wait for the cache to be filled for a while.
>
> That's not it - eventually it goes back to "Click here to play"

It means MPlayer quitted.

>> And you can confirm some debug message in 'npmp.log' of the directory
>> where your Mozilla family executable is there.
>
> That is quite uninformative...

It means plugin itself works fine.

>> Finally, you can confirm MPlayer's output itself as the Rich's
>> suggestion.
>
> That provides clues - does SNAP overlay not work with the plugin?
> Unable to get EnableSNAPAccess entry point!

Plugin is a simple launcher for MPlayer. So if MPlayer works with SNAP
overlay, Should plugin do so.

BTW, what is the version of your SNAP driver ?

> If I switch to WarpOverlay, I get output, although the color-keying is
> misaligned (which I only notice if I disable my config, which has
> colorkey=0x000001).

What do you mean by 'the color-keying misaligned' ?

If my guess is right, you should not use the mix of SNAP and WO mode. In
that case, image is shifted to left or right a little.

Steve Wendt

Feb 24, 2008, 11:33:22 PM2/24/08
On 02/24/08 07:52 pm, KO Myung-Hun wrote:

> Plugin is a simple launcher for MPlayer. So if MPlayer works with SNAP
> overlay, Should plugin do so.

It does indeed, except via the plugin.

> BTW, what is the version of your SNAP driver ?

Version 3.1.8, build 505

>> If I switch to WarpOverlay, I get output, although the color-keying is
>> misaligned (which I only notice if I disable my config, which has
>> colorkey=0x000001).
>
> What do you mean by 'the color-keying misaligned' ?
>
> If my guess is right, you should not use the mix of SNAP and WO mode. In
> that case, image is shifted to left or right a little.

Yes, there is a green stripe on the left side.

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 25, 2008, 12:30:23 AM2/25/08
Hi/2.

Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 02/24/08 07:52 pm, KO Myung-Hun wrote:
>
>> Plugin is a simple launcher for MPlayer. So if MPlayer works with
>> SNAP overlay, Should plugin do so.
>
> It does indeed, except via the plugin.

So strange.

>> BTW, what is the version of your SNAP driver ?
>
> Version 3.1.8, build 505

There was the one who reported this problem, "Unable to get
EnableSNAPAccess entry point!"

But, it is not the message generated by MPlayer, but may SNAP codes.

Currently, I have no clue this problem.

>>> If I switch to WarpOverlay, I get output, although the color-keying
>>> is misaligned (which I only notice if I disable my config, which has
>>> colorkey=0x000001).
>>
>> What do you mean by 'the color-keying misaligned' ?
>>
>> If my guess is right, you should not use the mix of SNAP and WO mode.
>> In that case, image is shifted to left or right a little.
>
> Yes, there is a green stripe on the left side.

If you are happy with WO, I recommend to use it only on the whole system
to avoid image-shift problem.

Steve Wendt

Feb 25, 2008, 12:56:27 AM2/25/08
On 02/24/08 09:30 pm, KO Myung-Hun wrote:

>> Yes, there is a green stripe on the left side.
>
> If you are happy with WO, I recommend to use it only on the whole system
> to avoid image-shift problem.

I'm not sure what that means, but I'm happy with the SNAP overlays, and
will continue to use the MediaPlayerConnectivity and DownloadWith
extensions to launch players until/unless the plugin works. ;-)

Peter Brown

Feb 25, 2008, 3:06:32 PM2/25/08
Hi

Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 02/24/08 09:30 pm, KO Myung-Hun wrote:
>
>>> Yes, there is a green stripe on the left side.
>>
>> If you are happy with WO, I recommend to use it only on the whole
>> system to avoid image-shift problem.
>
> I'm not sure what that means, but I'm happy with the SNAP overlays,

No, nor am I.

I find that the snap option does not work - possibly because I am using
SNAP VBE driver?

WO option has a green stripe down the video left side and the right side
of the video is off screen - looks like an image shift problem.

Currently DIVE works best for most vids I have tried to play but can be
a bit jerky compared to WO - even with vids played from local disk.

So, how to cure the image shift problem with WO anyone?

Regards

Pete

Steve Wendt

Feb 25, 2008, 3:19:08 PM2/25/08
On 2/25/2008 12:06 PM, Peter Brown wrote:

> I find that the snap option does not work - possibly because I am using
> SNAP VBE driver?

You certainly can't get video overlays via a generic interface like VBE.

> WO option has a green stripe down the video left side and the right side
> of the video is off screen - looks like an image shift problem.

Yes, exactly what I see. You can "hide" the effect by changing the
green to a different color key, as I indicated earlier in this thread,
although that isn't a real fix.

> So, how to cure the image shift problem with WO anyone?

Before SNAP overlays were supported, the WO output was not shifted;
something must have changed!

Rich Walsh

Feb 25, 2008, 4:13:28 PM2/25/08
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:06:32 UTC, Peter Brown <losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Steve Wendt wrote:

> >> If you are happy with WO, I recommend to use it only on the whole
> >> system to avoid image-shift problem.
> >
> > I'm not sure what that means, but I'm happy with the SNAP overlays,
>
> I find that the snap option does not work - possibly because I am using
> SNAP VBE driver?
>
> WO option has a green stripe down the video left side and the right side
> of the video is off screen - looks like an image shift problem.
> Currently DIVE works best for most vids I have tried to play but can be
> a bit jerky compared to WO - even with vids played from local disk.
>
> So, how to cure the image shift problem with WO anyone?

I got the impression that the image shift was the result of having both
SO & WO active. Try removing or renaming snapwrap.dll so it can't be
loaded and see what happens.

FWIW... I had two old ATI cards that I tried with WO a few months back.
One worked great, the other turned the top half of my screen green and
the bottom half into a bunch of squiggly lines. Getting this stuff to
work seems like a crap-shoot.

Ilya Zakharevich

Feb 25, 2008, 4:47:29 PM2/25/08
Rich Walsh
<spamyo...@127.0.0.1>], who wrote in article <brddYgxvE0gm-pn2-x8XfyPeJSN3l@localhost>:

> FWIW... I had two old ATI cards that I tried with WO a few months back.
> One worked great, the other turned the top half of my screen green and
> the bottom half into a bunch of squiggly lines. Getting this stuff to
> work seems like a crap-shoot.

Try decreasing the frame frequency in video driver. Looks quite
similar to my problem which was an overloaded DAC...

Hope this helps,
Ilya

Peter Brown

Feb 25, 2008, 5:08:29 PM2/25/08
Hi Steve

Trying the above url I see a "Launch in standalone player" link which
seems to be my only option of trying to play this video with the plugin.

When I click the "Launch ..." link a blank page appears: the tab states
"world_nb.asx(video/x-ms-asf..."

Looks like something does not work...

Regards

Pete

Peter Brown

Feb 25, 2008, 5:19:09 PM2/25/08
Hi Rich

Rich Walsh wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:06:32 UTC, Peter Brown <losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Steve Wendt wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what that means, but I'm happy with the SNAP overlays,
>> I find that the snap option does not work - possibly because I am using
>> SNAP VBE driver?
>>
>> WO option has a green stripe down the video left side and the right side
>> of the video is off screen - looks like an image shift problem.
>> Currently DIVE works best for most vids I have tried to play but can be
>> a bit jerky compared to WO - even with vids played from local disk.
>>
>> So, how to cure the image shift problem with WO anyone?
>
> I got the impression that the image shift was the result of having both
> SO & WO active. Try removing or renaming snapwrap.dll so it can't be
> loaded and see what happens.

Sadly no change at all.

Regards

Pete

Steve Wendt

Feb 25, 2008, 5:22:09 PM2/25/08
On 2/25/2008 2:08 PM, Peter Brown wrote:

> Trying the above url I see a "Launch in standalone player" link which
> seems to be my only option of trying to play this video with the plugin.

There should be a plugin frame / square area above that...

Mark Dodel

Feb 25, 2008, 6:32:47 PM2/25/08
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:47:16 UTC, Steve Wendt <spa...@forgetit.org>
wrote:

-> On 02/24/08 01:35 pm, Heikki Kekki wrote:
->
-> >>> With this version, I see "Click here to play" and then "MPlayer
-> >>> running..." but nothing ever plays.
-> >
[...]

Same here with the new npmp.dll. I had to first click on "Launch in
stand alone player", then it said "Click here to play" then "Failed to
start MPLayer". link works fine using MediaPlayerConnectivity

Mark

--
From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

http://www.warpstock.eu

Rich Walsh

Feb 25, 2008, 7:12:23 PM2/25/08
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:32:47 UTC, "Mark Dodel" <madode...@ptd.net> wrote:

> [..] I had to first click on "Launch in stand alone player",

> then it said "Click here to play" then "Failed to start MPLayer".
> link works fine using MediaPlayerConnectivity

If it fails to start, then you may not have the needed environment
variables set. On my system:

SET MPLAYER_PATH=H:\player\mplayer.exe
SET MPLAYER_HOME=H:\player\.mplayer

I don't know if the plugin sends anything to stdout, but you may
want to check using the suggestion I gave Steve:

> To find out, start your browser:
> - with stdout redirected to a file, or
> - using Run! with the 'V' option, or
> - with the '-console' commandline option

Rob Claessen

Feb 25, 2008, 10:53:24 PM2/25/08
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:32:47 UTC, "Mark Dodel" <madode...@ptd.net> wrote:

> Same here with the new npmp.dll. I had to first click on "Launch in
> stand alone player", then it said "Click here to play" then "Failed to
> start MPLayer". link works fine using MediaPlayerConnectivity
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,
I had the same problem and didn't know what was wrong until I typed mplayer.exe in a
command window.
And although I have the mplayer directory in my path it turned out the above command
started the old Win-OS/2 mplayer.exe that resides in C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2.
Renaming this to MediaPlayer.exe made the plugin work as expected.

--
HTH, Rob Claessen
_________________

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 25, 2008, 10:59:33 PM2/25/08
Hi/2.

Peter Brown wrote:
>> I got the impression that the image shift was the result of having both
>> SO & WO active. Try removing or renaming snapwrap.dll so it can't be
>> loaded and see what happens.
>>

> Sadly no change at all.

Did you reboot your machine ?

Afer removing or renaming snapwrap.dll, reboot your machine.

And launch MPlayer with '-msglevel vo=9' option. You can confirm what
mode is used for video. Of course, redirection is needed because a bunch
of message is displayed.

Ah, what do you mean by 'SNAP VBE' ? It means GENGRADD instead of SDDGRADD ?

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 25, 2008, 11:01:18 PM2/25/08
Hi/2.

Rich Walsh wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:32:47 UTC, "Mark Dodel" <madode...@ptd.net> wrote:
>

>> [..] I had to first click on "Launch in stand alone player",
>> then it said "Click here to play" then "Failed to start MPLayer".
>> link works fine using MediaPlayerConnectivity
>>

> If it fails to start, then you may not have the needed environment
> variables set. On my system:
>
> SET MPLAYER_PATH=H:\player\mplayer.exe
> SET MPLAYER_HOME=H:\player\.mplayer
>
> I don't know if the plugin sends anything to stdout, but you may
> want to check using the suggestion I gave Steve:

You can confirm the plugin output, npmp.log, in the directory where
Mozilla executable is there.

Steve Wendt

Feb 25, 2008, 11:46:05 PM2/25/08
On 02/25/08 07:59 pm, KO Myung-Hun wrote:

> Ah, what do you mean by 'SNAP VBE' ? It means GENGRADD instead of
> SDDGRADD ?

Presumably, it means SDDGRADD, running on the VBE fallback driver.

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 25, 2008, 11:52:51 PM2/25/08
Hi/2.

If so, is it possible to fall back to VBE on purpose ?

Steve Wendt

Feb 26, 2008, 12:18:31 AM2/26/08
On 02/25/08 08:52 pm, KO Myung-Hun wrote:

>> Presumably, it means SDDGRADD, running on the VBE fallback driver.
>
> If so, is it possible to fall back to VBE on purpose ?

gaoption vbe on, and then reboot.

Message has been deleted

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 26, 2008, 2:25:13 AM2/26/08
Hi/2.

I confirmed that there is no problem with VBE.

Thanks.

Peter Brown

Feb 26, 2008, 9:10:32 AM2/26/08
Hi

KO Myung-Hun wrote:
> Hi/2.
>
> Peter Brown wrote:
>>> I got the impression that the image shift was the result of having both
>>> SO & WO active. Try removing or renaming snapwrap.dll so it can't be
>>> loaded and see what happens.
>>>

>> Sadly no change at all.
>>
> Did you reboot your machine ?
>
> Afer removing or renaming snapwrap.dll, reboot your machine.

Well I have now and no change.

The above does make me pose a question: This dll file sits around doing
nothing and then gets renamed. Why is the reboot necessary?

> And launch MPlayer with '-msglevel vo=9' option. You can confirm what
> mode is used for video. Of course, redirection is needed because a bunch
> of message is displayed.

.mplayer\config contains:-
cache=12288
cache-min=50
vo=kva:wo

I used this command:-

[H:\MMOS2\MMPLAYER\mplayer]mplayer -msglevel vo=9
g:\download.fun\movies\KylieWetT_Shirt.mpg > vid.log

The open VIO window states a problem:-
"The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec."

The vid.log file states:-
Playing g:\download.fun\movies\KylieWetT_Shirt.mpg.

Cache fill: 0.00% (0 bytes)
Cache fill: 16.71% (2103220 bytes)
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO: MPEG1 352x288 (aspect 8) 25.000 fps 1150.0 kbps (143.8 kbyte/s)
KVA: Selected video driver = WarpOverlay!
Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
VDec: vo config request - 352 x 288 (preferred colorspace: Mpeg PES)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDecoder init failed :(
Opening video decoder: [libmpeg2] MPEG 1/2 Video decoder libmpeg2-v0.4.0b
Selected video codec: [mpeg12] vfm: libmpeg2 (MPEG-1 or 2 (libmpeg2))

No mention of incompatible codec in the vid.log file.

Do I understand that to mean that WO and some/all mpg files do not work
together?

> Ah, what do you mean by 'SNAP VBE' ? It means GENGRADD instead of
> SDDGRADD ?

It means that running an SMP kernel with ACPI driver does not work with
the SNAP accelerated driver - the screen corruption when simply
scrolling a page is total, the content dissolves into a mess of coloured
dots - so SNAP is set to run my ATI X600 in VBE fallback driver mode.

Regards

Pete

Peter Brown

Feb 26, 2008, 9:48:17 AM2/26/08
Hi All

Yes, that something was me.

I was (very) sure that I had copied this test npmp.dll to my Plugins
directory overwriting the version supplied in the current mplayer package.

On checking I find that I did not - well, the older npmp.dll was still
there.

After deleting the old version and unzipping the new version in place
all works as it should - complete with green stripe down the left side
of vid when using WarpOverlay.

It did take about a minute for playback to start - cache filling time I
guess.

Regards

Pete

Peter Brown

Feb 26, 2008, 9:50:08 AM2/26/08
Hi Steve

My fault; discovered I had the wrong npmp.dll in place...

This now works but can take a minute or so before playback starts.

Regards

Pete

Mark Dodel

Feb 26, 2008, 10:54:50 AM2/26/08
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:50:08 UTC, Peter Brown
<losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

-> Hi Steve
->
-> Steve Wendt wrote:

-> > On 2/25/2008 2:08 PM, Peter Brown wrote:
-> >
-> >>> Like this, for example?
-> >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6900000/newsid_6903100/6903113.stm
-> >>
-> >>

-> >> Trying the above url I see a "Launch in standalone player" link which
-> >> seems to be my only option of trying to play this video with the plugin.
-> >
-> > There should be a plugin frame / square area above that...
->
->
-> My fault; discovered I had the wrong npmp.dll in place...
->
-> This now works but can take a minute or so before playback starts.

Does it actually play in the BBC page?

Mark Dodel

Feb 26, 2008, 10:56:15 AM2/26/08
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 03:53:24 UTC, "Rob Claessen"
<rclaessen[DeleteThis]@home.nl> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that. I renamed the winos2\mplayer.exe and retried but
still nothing. I also added the SET MPLAYER_HOME= and the SET
MPLAYER_PATH= in my config.sys suggested by Rich. I then noticed that
I was getting a npwv.log in my plugins directory. I deleted the
npwv.dll warpvision plugin and now I get the "Click here to play" in
the BBC page, but when I click it says "mplayer is running" but it
does nothing else for a few seconds or so and then redisplays the
"Click here to play" message.

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 26, 2008, 11:33:40 AM2/26/08
Hi/2.

Peter Brown wrote:
>> Did you reboot your machine ?
>>
>> Afer removing or renaming snapwrap.dll, reboot your machine.
>>

> Well I have now and no change.
>

> The above does make me pose a question: This dll file sits around
> doing nothing and then gets renamed. Why is the reboot necessary?

Because, a mixed use of SNAP and WO cause image to be shifted aside a
little, and it has an effect on system until reboot. So you should use
only one of them on whole system.

Here, a mixed use of SNAP and WO mean that you use MPlayer with -vo
option on one mode after other one, not installed status of SNAP driver
and WO driver.

You can append '2>&1' to your command line to merge VIO input into vid.log.

> Do I understand that to mean that WO and some/all mpg files do not
> work together?

Only with WO, all movie files can be played if the proper codecs are
installed. Because MPlayer has a facility to convert colorspace to the
one WO need.

>> Ah, what do you mean by 'SNAP VBE' ? It means GENGRADD instead of
>> SDDGRADD ?
>>

> It means that running an SMP kernel with ACPI driver does not work
> with the SNAP accelerated driver - the screen corruption when simply
> scrolling a page is total, the content dissolves into a mess of
> coloured dots - so SNAP is set to run my ATI X600 in VBE fallback
> driver mode.

Maybe, Did you experience a image shift problem with previous MPlayer, too ?

And what is 'Selected video driver' of MPlayer without -vo option, and
with -vo kva:snap ?

In my guess, it should be 'WarpOverlay' without -vo, but you should
encouter 'KVA: Init failed!!!'.

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 26, 2008, 11:44:10 AM2/26/08
Hi/2.

Did you click it again after redisplay "Click here to play" ?

Mozilla call plugin twice at BBC news site.

So a call at early time can be canceled.

Anyway, you can find a 'URL=' in npmp.log.

Do the following.

mplayer -playlist "url"

url is a value of 'URL='. You should wrap around it with ".

In my case,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summaries/world/bb/video/world_bb.asx?ad=1&ct=50

What is the result ? Does it work fine ?

Steve Wendt

Feb 26, 2008, 12:32:22 PM2/26/08
On 2/26/2008 6:50 AM, Peter Brown wrote:

> This now works but can take a minute or so before playback starts.

It won't show anything until it has filled the specified cache amount.

Mark Dodel

Feb 26, 2008, 1:25:04 PM2/26/08
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:44:10 UTC, KO Myung-Hun <ko...@chollian.net>
wrote:

-> Hi/2.
->
-> Mark Dodel wrote:
-> > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 03:53:24 UTC, "Rob Claessen"

-> > <rclaessen[DeleteThis]@home.nl> wrote:
-> >

-> > -> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:32:47 UTC, "Mark Dodel" <madode...@ptd.net> wrote:
-> > ->

-> > -> >

[...]

I've clicked it several times. The second time does seem to generate
a fair amount of disk activity, but never saw a video window open and
it always returns to "Click here to play" after a few seconds. From
then on clicking on it gives a quick return to "Click here to play".

-> So a call at early time can be canceled.
->
-> Anyway, you can find a 'URL=' in npmp.log.

Weird now npmp.log is showing up in my F:\tcpip\pronews directory.
How is that set?

->
-> Do the following.
->
-> mplayer -playlist "url"
->
-> url is a value of 'URL='. You should wrap around it with ".
->
-> In my case,
->
->
-> http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summaries/world/bb/video/world_bb.asx?ad=1&ct=50
->
-> What is the result ? Does it work fine ?

That worked. The video window opened three times the last with the
actual news report.

Peter Brown

Feb 26, 2008, 3:33:11 PM2/26/08
Hi

Right - I'll try to remember that :-)

>> Do I understand that to mean that WO and some/all mpg files do not
>> work together?
>
> Only with WO, all movie files can be played if the proper codecs are
> installed. Because MPlayer has a facility to convert colorspace to the
> one WO need.

Being a little ignorant about which mpg/mpeg video requires which codec
I can only say that I have the large pack of codecs installed in
mplayer\codecs. Guess it does not contain the correct codec...

Which codec would provide the correct video decoder for mpegpes?

>>> Ah, what do you mean by 'SNAP VBE' ? It means GENGRADD instead of
>>> SDDGRADD ?
>>>

>> It means that running an SMP kernel with ACPI driver does not work
>> with the SNAP accelerated driver - the screen corruption when simply
>> scrolling a page is total, the content dissolves into a mess of
>> coloured dots - so SNAP is set to run my ATI X600 in VBE fallback
>> driver mode.
>
> Maybe, Did you experience a image shift problem with previous MPlayer,
> too ?

I was using DIVE previously so no image shift problem noticed before.
DIVE is a little too jerky though.

> And what is 'Selected video driver' of MPlayer without -vo option, and
> with -vo kva:snap ?

If I force snap -vo kva:snap there is a message about hardware not found
and only audio plays. This is how I know the snap option does not work :-)

> In my guess, it should be 'WarpOverlay' without -vo, but you should
> encouter 'KVA: Init failed!!!'.

I put # in front of the -vo kva:wo in the config and used the same
command as before with >2&1 appended

The relevant bit of the log:-

Playing g:\download.fun\movies\KylieWetT_Shirt.mpg.

Cache fill: 0.00% (0 bytes)
Cache fill: 16.71% (2103220 bytes)
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO: MPEG1 352x288 (aspect 8) 25.000 fps 1150.0 kbps (143.8 kbyte/s)
KVA: Selected video driver = WarpOverlay!
Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
VDec: vo config request - 352 x 288 (preferred colorspace: Mpeg PES)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]

The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.

Try appending the scale filter to your filter list,
e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.

VDecoder init failed :(
Opening video decoder: [libmpeg2] MPEG 1/2 Video decoder libmpeg2-v0.4.0b
Selected video codec: [mpeg12] vfm: libmpeg2 (MPEG-1 or 2 (libmpeg2))

Looks like mplayer auto selects WO

Regards

Pete

Peter Brown

Feb 26, 2008, 3:34:45 PM2/26/08
Hi Mark

Mark Dodel wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:50:08 UTC, Peter Brown
> <losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> -> Hi Steve
> ->
> -> Steve Wendt wrote:
> -> > On 2/25/2008 2:08 PM, Peter Brown wrote:
> -> >
> -> >>> Like this, for example?
> -> >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6900000/newsid_6903100/6903113.stm
> -> >>
> -> >>
> -> >> Trying the above url I see a "Launch in standalone player" link which
> -> >> seems to be my only option of trying to play this video with the plugin.
> -> >
> -> > There should be a plugin frame / square area above that...
> ->
> ->
> -> My fault; discovered I had the wrong npmp.dll in place...
> ->
> -> This now works but can take a minute or so before playback starts.
>
> Does it actually play in the BBC page?
>
> Mark

In the bit of the page where the BBC expect Windows Media Player to play
it :-)

Regards

Pete

Rich Walsh

Feb 26, 2008, 7:29:18 PM2/26/08
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:25:04 UTC, "Mark Dodel" <madode...@ptd.net> wrote:

> Weird now npmp.log is showing up in my F:\tcpip\pronews directory.
> How is that set?

This suggests that you're starting your browser directly from PN/2
rather than using Run!.

When PN/2 starts an app, it doesn't change the current directory to
where the exe is. In the case of mozapps, they'd fail to start
because the system couldn't find their dlls. That's the reason I
wrote Run! - simply to change the current directory so PN/2 could
start my browser.

Newer versions of PN/2 now set BEGINLIBPATH but still don't change
the directory. So... when NPMP writes its log to the current
directory, it ends up in PN/2's directory.

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 26, 2008, 9:30:23 PM2/26/08
Hi/2.

Rich said about this correctly. That is, npmp.log is created on the
directory where Mozilla executable is launched.

> ->
> -> Do the following.
> ->
> -> mplayer -playlist "url"
> ->
> -> url is a value of 'URL='. You should wrap around it with ".
> ->
> -> In my case,
> ->
> ->
> -> http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summaries/world/bb/video/world_bb.asx?ad=1&ct=50
> ->
> -> What is the result ? Does it work fine ?
>
> That worked. The video window opened three times the last with the
> actual news report.

The tested url is the 'URL=' in your npmp.log, or what I suggested ?

If not yours, show me your npmp.log, please.

Did the video window open three times ? It's strange.

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 26, 2008, 9:43:10 PM2/26/08

Peter Brown wrote:

<snip>

>>> Playing g:\download.fun\movies\KylieWetT_Shirt.mpg.
>>>
>>> Cache fill: 0.00% (0 bytes)
>>> Cache fill: 16.71% (2103220 bytes)
>>> MPEG-PS file format detected.
>>> VIDEO: MPEG1 352x288 (aspect 8) 25.000 fps 1150.0 kbps (143.8
>>> kbyte/s)
>>> KVA: Selected video driver = WarpOverlay!
>>> ==========================================================================
>>>
>>> Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
>>> VDec: vo config request - 352 x 288 (preferred colorspace: Mpeg PES)
>>> Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
>>> Opening video filter: [scale]
>>> VDecoder init failed :(
>>> Opening video decoder: [libmpeg2] MPEG 1/2 Video decoder
>>> libmpeg2-v0.4.0b
>>> Selected video codec: [mpeg12] vfm: libmpeg2 (MPEG-1 or 2 (libmpeg2))
>>> ==========================================================================

<snip>

>>> Do I understand that to mean that WO and some/all mpg files do not
>>> work together?
>>
>> Only with WO, all movie files can be played if the proper codecs are
>> installed. Because MPlayer has a facility to convert colorspace to
>> the one WO need.
>>

> Being a little ignorant about which mpg/mpeg video requires which
> codec I can only say that I have the large pack of codecs installed in
> mplayer\codecs. Guess it does not contain the correct codec...
>
> Which codec would provide the correct video decoder for mpegpes?

If you see the above, mpegpes failed but MPlayer tried another codec
libmpeg2, and succeeded. mpegpes is one of codecs which support MPEG videos.

> I was using DIVE previously so no image shift problem noticed before.
> DIVE is a little too jerky though.

Because DIVE is not accelerated by HW.

How about other apps using WO such as WVGUI ? Does image shift problem
occur to those apps as well ?

I think your image shift problem is not caused by a mixed use of SNAP
and WO mode.

As I said above, if other apps using WO such as WVGUI as well cause the
image shift problem, I'm sorry I have no clue.

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 26, 2008, 9:44:57 PM2/26/08
Hi/2.

RealPlayer mode can be played by npmp.dll, too.

Mark Dodel

Feb 26, 2008, 10:11:00 PM2/26/08
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 00:29:18 UTC, "Rich Walsh"
<spamyo...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Rich. That was it. I thought I had beenusing Run! for
Pronews/2 but I wasn't. I am now.

Mark Dodel

Feb 26, 2008, 10:16:08 PM2/26/08
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 02:30:23 UTC, KO Myung-Hun <ko...@chollian.net>
wrote:

-> Hi/2.
->
-> Mark Dodel wrote:

-> > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:44:10 UTC, KO Myung-Hun <ko...@chollian.net>
-> > wrote:
-> >
-> > -> Hi/2.
-> > ->
-> > -> Mark Dodel wrote:
-> > -> > On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 03:53:24 UTC, "Rob Claessen"

-> > -> > <rclaessen[DeleteThis]@home.nl> wrote:
-> > -> >
-> > -> > -> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:32:47 UTC, "Mark Dodel" <madode...@ptd.net> wrote:
-> > -> > ->
-> > -> > -> >
[...]

It does now. It was because I was starting it from Pronews/2. When I
put the URL directly into firefox it worked. Very cool. Thanks for
all your work on this.

Peter Weilbacher

Feb 27, 2008, 2:04:17 AM2/27/08
On 24.02.08 06:50, KO Myung-Hun wrote:

> You can get it here,
>
> http://www.7xx.org/komh/npmp_test.zip
>
> Just copy it to your Mozilla plugin directory.

Much improved usability, thank you!

But did you change anything that could affect the way Mozilla apps load
that DLL? Because with that version I get system hangs (not even the
mouse moves) after reading a number of mails with SeaMonkey. To connect
that to plugins you have to know that SeaMonkey rescans all plugins for
every mail that is opened. Once I replaced the plugin DLL with the one
from the r26012 package the problem didn't occur any more.
--
Please Enhanced OS/2 builds of Mozilla applications
reply in http://pmw-warpzilla.sf.net/

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 27, 2008, 2:57:20 AM2/27/08
Hi/2.

Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> On 24.02.08 06:50, KO Myung-Hun wrote:
>
>> You can get it here,
>>
>> http://www.7xx.org/komh/npmp_test.zip
>>
>> Just copy it to your Mozilla plugin directory.
>
> Much improved usability, thank you!

It's my pleasure. ^^

> But did you change anything that could affect the way Mozilla apps load
> that DLL? Because with that version I get system hangs (not even the
> mouse moves) after reading a number of mails with SeaMonkey.

It's strange. I know, there is no way to affect how Mozilla apps load
dll by plugin. And even though there is a way, I don't know about that.

> To connect
> that to plugins you have to know that SeaMonkey rescans all plugins for
> every mail that is opened.

So ? I know, plugin is called only by 'EMBED' tags and plugins docs says
like that, isn't it ?

> Once I replaced the plugin DLL with the one
> from the r26012 package the problem didn't occur any more.

Hmmm... This is a strong proof that a new test build has a problem, but
some more validation need. So, npmp.dll write all call to npmp.log. What
does npmp.log read as ?

Peter Weilbacher

Feb 27, 2008, 4:05:54 AM2/27/08
On 27.02.08 08:57, KO Myung-Hun wrote:

> Peter Weilbacher wrote:
>> To connect
>> that to plugins you have to know that SeaMonkey rescans all plugins for
>> every mail that is opened.
>
> So ? I know, plugin is called only by 'EMBED' tags and plugins docs says
> like that, isn't it ?

Yes, in principle that is correct. That's probably why npmp.log wasn't
even created. But those rescans ask at least the supported MIME types
from the plugins, unless that information is already available and
up to date. For some reason some plugins, depending on certain unknown
configuration problems, always say that the information has to be
updated...

>> Once I replaced the plugin DLL with the one
>> from the r26012 package the problem didn't occur any more.
>
> Hmmm... This is a strong proof that a new test build has a problem, but
> some more validation need. So, npmp.dll write all call to npmp.log. What
> does npmp.log read as ?

That proof just disappeared, just when I wanted to look at your reply
the first time, I had the same hang again. So it could be something
completely different. I have removed the plugin completely now

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 27, 2008, 5:43:19 AM2/27/08
Hi/2.

Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> On 27.02.08 08:57, KO Myung-Hun wrote:
>> Peter Weilbacher wrote:
>>> To connect
>>> that to plugins you have to know that SeaMonkey rescans all plugins for
>>> every mail that is opened.
>>
>> So ? I know, plugin is called only by 'EMBED' tags and plugins docs says
>> like that, isn't it ?
>
> Yes, in principle that is correct. That's probably why npmp.log wasn't
> even created. But those rescans ask at least the supported MIME types
> from the plugins, unless that information is already available and
> up to date. For some reason some plugins, depending on certain unknown
> configuration problems, always say that the information has to be
> updated...

I've found the some strange while testing.

I know, NPP_Initialize and NPP_Shutdown should be called only once while
plugin working. But they are called whenever EMBED appear.

In addition, any file operation does not work on SeaMonkey directory in
NPP_Initilize call. For examples, I cannot write debug output.
Strangely, operation itself is ok. But actual file operation is not
performed.

>>> Once I replaced the plugin DLL with the one
>>> from the r26012 package the problem didn't occur any more.
>>
>> Hmmm... This is a strong proof that a new test build has a problem, but
>> some more validation need. So, npmp.dll write all call to npmp.log. What
>> does npmp.log read as ?
>
> That proof just disappeared, just when I wanted to look at your reply
> the first time, I had the same hang again. So it could be something
> completely different. I have removed the plugin completely now

What version of SeaMonkey are you using ? I'll test it.

Peter Weilbacher

Feb 27, 2008, 8:57:30 AM2/27/08

It is one from my own source tree so has a few patches that are not
available publically. But it should be close enough to the latest
"nightly" build from here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=183811&package_id=213528

Peter Weilbacher

Feb 27, 2008, 9:14:24 AM2/27/08
On 27.02.2008 11:43, KO Myung-Hun wrote:

> I've found the some strange while testing.
>
> I know, NPP_Initialize and NPP_Shutdown should be called only once while
> plugin working. But they are called whenever EMBED appear.

Which documentation are you looking at as you work on your plugin? I
found http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko_Plugin_API_Reference
which isn't really specific about when they would be called.

> In addition, any file operation does not work on SeaMonkey directory in
> NPP_Initilize call. For examples, I cannot write debug output.
> Strangely, operation itself is ok. But actual file operation is not
> performed.

No idea. As you probably have noticed by now I have no clue about plugin
development... Perhaps Heiko has a hint, if he reads this.

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 27, 2008, 10:49:57 AM2/27/08
Hi/2.

Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> On 27.02.2008 11:43, KO Myung-Hun wrote:
>

>> I've found the some strange while testing.
>>
>> I know, NPP_Initialize and NPP_Shutdown should be called only once while
>> plugin working. But they are called whenever EMBED appear.
>>

> Which documentation are you looking at as you work on your plugin? I
> found http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko_Plugin_API_Reference
> which isn't really specific about when they would be called.

I'm using the following.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/internet/www/browser/os2plug.zip
http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/os2plug.zip ( updated version )

And I've read the URL you suggested, but it also says that
NPP_Initialize and NPP_Shutdown are called only once.

-----
The browser calls| NP_Initialize |when a plug-in is loaded and before
the first instance is created.

After the last plug-in instance is deleted, the browser calls| NP_Shutdown
|-----

Here, NP_Initialize() and NP_Shutdown() call NPP_Initialize and
NPP_Shutdown(), respectively on OS/2.

>> In addition, any file operation does not work on SeaMonkey directory in
>> NPP_Initilize call. For examples, I cannot write debug output.
>> Strangely, operation itself is ok. But actual file operation is not
>> performed.
>>

> No idea. As you probably have noticed by now I have no clue about plugin
> development... Perhaps Heiko has a hint, if he reads this.

I wish...

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 27, 2008, 11:09:34 AM2/27/08
Hi/2.

I've used seamonkey-2.0a1pre.en-US.os2.2008022216.zip. It works fine
here with npmp.dll.

Anyway, I've updated npmp.dll with some debug msg and move the position
of mutex init/close code since NPP_Initialize and NPP_Shutdown are
called whenever instance created/destroyed.

Would you mind testing it ?

Peter Brown

Feb 27, 2008, 12:57:58 PM2/27/08
Hi

WVGUI does not like WO I suspect...

With WVGUI set to use Video: WO and Audio set to either Wave or DART
WVGUI acts like it is playing the clip but there is no sound or video.
WVGUI also behaves like this if Video is set to SNAP.

The only video option that works is DIVE. Maybe I have a "naff" version
of WarpOverlay...

I have not played with WVGUI for a while and have probably
changed/updated a few drivers during that time but I have just
discovered that I do not get audio from WVGUI any more when using either
DART or WAV options.

If I set Audio to Uniaud WVGUI crashes when trying to load/play the
clip; I suspect the uniaud in use is not "in step" with the WVGUI release.

However, WVGUI is not really of interest here as it does not seem to be
under active development.

What we have discovered is that there is no image shift problem with
WVGUI - the green stripe never appeared although WVGUI acted as if it
was playing the clip.

Does anyone want to post a link to the version of WO they know works on
their system, Please.

Regards

Pete

Heikki Kekki

Feb 27, 2008, 3:35:23 PM2/27/08
wrote:

> On 02/24/08 01:35 pm, Heikki Kekki wrote:
>
> > BBC One-Minute World News plays with plugin.
>

> Note that it uses asx, so the original version of the plugin would not
> have worked. However, all I get is "MPlayer running..." without
> anything else happening.

Sorry, I didn't read careful enough ;-) It didn't work with Yle's asx
files.

--
Hessu
Feel free to correct my English :-)

Dave Yeo

Feb 27, 2008, 3:40:44 PM2/27/08
On 02/26/08 11:04 pm, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> On 24.02.08 06:50, KO Myung-Hun wrote:
>
>> You can get it here,
>>
>> http://www.7xx.org/komh/npmp_test.zip
>>
>> Just copy it to your Mozilla plugin directory.
>
> Much improved usability, thank you!
>
> But did you change anything that could affect the way Mozilla apps load
> that DLL? Because with that version I get system hangs (not even the
> mouse moves) after reading a number of mails with SeaMonkey. To connect
> that to plugins you have to know that SeaMonkey rescans all plugins for
> every mail that is opened. Once I replaced the plugin DLL with the one
> from the r26012 package the problem didn't occur any more.

I was testing with Firefox. Now testing with Seamonkey v2 built on the
21st it seems quite stable here. I just read about 20 emails and quite a
few newsgroup messages and no hangs.
Dave

KO Myung-Hun

Feb 27, 2008, 11:37:59 PM2/27/08
Hi/2.

Peter Brown wrote:
> WVGUI does not like WO I suspect...
>
> With WVGUI set to use Video: WO and Audio set to either Wave or DART
> WVGUI acts like it is playing the clip but there is no sound or video.
> WVGUI also behaves like this if Video is set to SNAP.
>
> The only video option that works is DIVE. Maybe I have a "naff"
> version of WarpOverlay...
>

> I have not played with WVGUI for a while and have probably
> changed/updated a few drivers during that time but I have just
> discovered that I do not get audio from WVGUI any more when using
> either DART or WAV options.
>
> If I set Audio to Uniaud WVGUI crashes when trying to load/play the
> clip; I suspect the uniaud in use is not "in step" with the WVGUI
> release.

I think, provided you use the latest WVGUI, you can solve the above some
problems.

> However, WVGUI is not really of interest here as it does not seem to
> be under active development.

Of course not. But it can be used as the comparing purpose.

> What we have discovered is that there is no image shift problem with
> WVGUI - the green stripe never appeared although WVGUI acted as if it
> was playing the clip.

The reason why you sea the green stripe is th default colorkey of
MPlayer is green. But this is not true for WVGUI. You can see a little
space instead of a green stripe. If not, it's a problem specific to
MPlayer, but that's too bad. T.T

> Does anyone want to post a link to the version of WO they know works
> on their system, Please.

You can get the (maybe) latest WO at,

http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/video/warpoverlay/warpoverlay-20060306.zip

Steve Wendt

Feb 28, 2008, 12:25:15 AM2/28/08
On 02/27/08 08:37 pm, KO Myung-Hun wrote:

Despite the date in the archive, this one appears to be newer:
http://en.ecomstation.ru/projects/warpoverlay/warpoverlay-20051025.zip

Peter Weilbacher

Feb 29, 2008, 3:57:58 AM2/29/08
On 27.02.08 21:40, Dave Yeo wrote:

> I was testing with Firefox. Now testing with Seamonkey v2 built on the
> 21st it seems quite stable here. I just read about 20 emails and quite a
> few newsgroup messages and no hangs.

OK, for me this happened after something like 50 messages or so with the
Hobbes version of the Plugin DLL and 30 to 40 with the newer one. Well,
I just installed the 2008-02-27 version of the DLL, let's see how it
goes.

I wonder if there is a way to see how many mutexes are open on a system.
Theseus doesn't seem to have that feature but I don't understand all the
abbreviations that it uses, so maybe it is there after all. Not even
sure if there is a limit to the mutexes opened on a system.

Dave Yeo

Feb 29, 2008, 11:29:36 AM2/29/08
On 02/29/08 12:57 am, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> On 27.02.08 21:40, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> I was testing with Firefox. Now testing with Seamonkey v2 built on the
>> 21st it seems quite stable here. I just read about 20 emails and quite a
>> few newsgroup messages and no hangs.
>
> OK, for me this happened after something like 50 messages or so with the
> Hobbes version of the Plugin DLL and 30 to 40 with the newer one. Well,
> I just installed the 2008-02-27 version of the DLL, let's see how it
> goes.

Well I still have the same Seamonkey session open, I'm sure I've gone
through over 50 messages by now. Still running smoothly.

> I wonder if there is a way to see how many mutexes are open on a system.
> Theseus doesn't seem to have that feature but I don't understand all the
> abbreviations that it uses, so maybe it is there after all. Not even
> sure if there is a limit to the mutexes opened on a system.

Don't remember ever seeing a list of open mutexes anywhere.
Dave

Rich Walsh

Feb 29, 2008, 1:35:16 PM2/29/08
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:57:58 UTC, Peter Weilbacher <news...@weilbacher.org> wrote:

> I wonder if there is a way to see how many mutexes are open on a system.

pssems.exe shows all shared semaphores

Peter Weilbacher

Feb 29, 2008, 5:53:40 PM2/29/08
On 29.02.08 19:35, Rich Walsh wrote:

> pssems.exe shows all shared semaphores

OK, that tells me that at least those shouldn't be the problem. The
number of lines that this tool outputs doesn't change at all no matter
how many messages I open (even with the old plugin DLL).

In any case, the 2008-02-27 version of the plugin DLL hasn't caused me
any problems so far.

Elbert Pol

Feb 29, 2008, 6:15:29 PM2/29/08
Hi Ko,

With the latest plugin installed, i get a Cannot find Mplayer, if i
swith back to older plugin i don't have this problem.
I have mplayer in path...

KO Myung-Hun wrote:
> Hi/2.

Heiko Nitzsche

Feb 29, 2008, 8:13:27 PM2/29/08
Hi, yes I read it ;)

I use the same.

>>> In addition, any file operation does not work on SeaMonkey directory
>>> in NPP_Initilize call. For examples, I cannot write debug output.
>>> Strangely, operation itself is ok. But actual file operation is not
>>> performed.

Yeah, the browser seems to lock browser and profile directory access for
plugins in general. I have seen the behavior you describe as well.
Read/write from/to the plugin directory seems to work fine.

A streamed file will end up in %TEMP% under some random name and thus
read/write works there. I don't know how this is implemented but I expect
something like DosProtectOpen for the related directories.

I think the locks are there for security reasons because otherwise plugins
may spy out user data. Plugins have unlimited system access and thus protecting
user data is a very good idea.

Did you try to write to %TEMP% or the plugin directory ?

>> No idea. As you probably have noticed by now I have no clue about plugin
>> development... Perhaps Heiko has a hint, if he reads this.

I don't really use NPP_Initialize() and NPP_Shutdown() (they are empty)
because I also saw strange effects. Sometimes these functions will not
be called at all while they should. I did not further analyze why.

Instead my plugin uses OS/2 DLL load/unload handler because I need this
also for other init stuff. Unfortunately this is compiler dependent but
it is reliable. At plugin DLL load time I grab all necessary info like
the module handle and derive the location of the plugin DLL from it.
I also dynamically link other used libs (gbm.dll, gbmdlg.dll) at this
point in time. This allows detection of configuration errors. For instance
gbmdlg.dll is optional while gbm.dll is mandatory, so if gbm.dll is not
found the plugin dll load is stopped.

You could use the mechanism to check for mplayer.exe and if it is not
available, you can prevent loading the plugin. It will then not be listed
on about:plugins page.

Steve Wendt

Feb 29, 2008, 9:33:17 PM2/29/08
On 2/29/2008 5:13 PM, Heiko Nitzsche wrote:

> Did you try to write to %TEMP% or the plugin directory ?

%TMP% seems to be where temporary plugin stuff goes...

Steve Wendt

Feb 29, 2008, 11:27:57 PM2/29/08
On 02/23/08 09:50 pm, KO Myung-Hun wrote:

> I've updated npmp.dll, which is MPlayer plugin for Mozilla family.

Here's a wish list for the OS/2 port of MPlayer; I know this is
off-topic for this newsgroup, but this is a semi-related thread. ;-)

1) support for disabling (Doodle's) screen saver
WarpVision has this, and MPlayer does it in X11

2) support for hiding the mouse cursor in full screen
KMP has this, although it doesn't work quite right

3) support for setting the initial volume
KMP has this; I can't figure out how to do it with MPlayer
and/or remember last volume set (like gmplayer / WarpVision)

4) options for showing info in titlebar
KMP shows time elapsed/remaining; filename is possibility
These are available in OSD, but OSD can be intrusive

5) instead of waiting for the cache to be ready before showing anything,
show the first video frame until the cache is ready

6) nice browser plugin UI like mplayerplug-in

And here's some tips that someone might like:

1) If you copy a TTF font to %HOME%\.mplayer\subfont.ttf, the OSD will
be able to show text. The smallest one I had was Trebuc.TTF, and that
works fine.

2) MPlayer will make a playlist out of all the files on the command
line; for example "mplayer file1.mpg file2.mpg file3.mpg" or "mplayer
file?.mpg" or "mplayer file*.wmv"

3) You can define mouse buttons and keyboard keys to do lots of
different things. Here's my %HOME%\.mplayer\input.conf:

MOUSE_BTN2 vo_fullscreen
PGUP pt_step -1
PGDWN pt_step 1
+ volume 5
- volume -5

This sets mouse button 2 to toggle fullscreen, PgUp/PgDwn to go forward
and back through the playlist, and +/- to raise/lower the volume by 5%.

4) Any command-line options can also be specified in
%HOME%\.mplayer\config; here's some useful ones:

really-quiet=yes
fixed-vo=yes
colorkey=0x000001

This turns off most of the (verbose) messages, makes the transition
between videos in the playlist smooth by keeping the video window open
and fixed size (works best with fs=on), and sets the colorkey to a shade
of black instead of the default bright green. Note that you don't want
to use solid black (0x000000), as then any console windows or other
black areas on your screen will then be transparent when over the video.
Also note that color keying is relevant for overlays, so it probably
doesn't do anything if you are using DIVE output.

5) As discussed previously, if you are getting jerkiness or lags in the
video, but you have a fast connection, you should set/boost your cache
and/or cache-min values. Note that this causes a delay before it starts
playing video...

Steve Wendt

Feb 29, 2008, 11:40:36 PM2/29/08
On 02/29/08 08:27 pm, Steve Wendt wrote:

> Here's a wish list for the OS/2 port of MPlayer; I know this is
> off-topic for this newsgroup, but this is a semi-related thread. ;-)

Just remembered more:

7) don't pause playback when moving video window; maybe this is trouble
for DIVE, but at least for overlays it should not be a problem

8) when there are delays in playback (seeking, transmission delay,
whatever), it should still respond to input, such as toggling full
screen; currently, it doesn't respond until it is playing again

KO Myung-Hun

Mar 1, 2008, 8:04:14 AM3/1/08
Hi/2.

Elbert Pol wrote:
> Hi Ko,
>
> With the latest plugin installed, i get a Cannot find Mplayer, if i
> swith back to older plugin i don't have this problem.

"Cannot find Mplayer" is not generated by npmp.dll. How could you see that ?

> I have mplayer in path...

I recommend to use 'MPLAYER_PATH'.

KO Myung-Hun

Mar 1, 2008, 10:04:19 AM3/1/08
Hi/2.

Heiko Nitzsche wrote:
> Hi, yes I read it ;)

Fortunate. ^^

>>> In addition, any file operation does not work on SeaMonkey directory
>>> in NPP_Initilize call. For examples, I cannot write debug output.
>>> Strangely, operation itself is ok. But actual file operation is not
>>> performed.
>
> Yeah, the browser seems to lock browser and profile directory access for
> plugins in general. I have seen the behavior you describe as well.
> Read/write from/to the plugin directory seems to work fine.

As well as, any other directory than them.

> A streamed file will end up in %TEMP% under some random name and thus
> read/write works there.

I know, this is true for NP_ASFILE mode only, isn't it ?

> I don't know how this is implemented but I expect
> something like DosProtectOpen for the related directories.
>
> I think the locks are there for security reasons because otherwise
> plugins
> may spy out user data. Plugins have unlimited system access and thus
> protecting
> user data is a very good idea.
>
> Did you try to write to %TEMP% or the plugin directory ?

No, just browser dir or root dir.

>>> No idea. As you probably have noticed by now I have no clue about
>>> plugin
>>> development... Perhaps Heiko has a hint, if he reads this.
>
> I don't really use NPP_Initialize() and NPP_Shutdown() (they are empty)
> because I also saw strange effects. Sometimes these functions will not
> be called at all while they should. I did not further analyze why.

Nether do I, currently. Because they are called whenever instance is
initialized unlike docs says.

> Instead my plugin uses OS/2 DLL load/unload handler because I need this
> also for other init stuff. Unfortunately this is compiler dependent but
> it is reliable. At plugin DLL load time I grab all necessary info like
> the module handle and derive the location of the plugin DLL from it.
> I also dynamically link other used libs (gbm.dll, gbmdlg.dll) at this
> point in time. This allows detection of configuration errors. For
> instance
> gbmdlg.dll is optional while gbm.dll is mandatory, so if gbm.dll is not
> found the plugin dll load is stopped.

So do I.

> You could use the mechanism to check for mplayer.exe and if it is not
> available, you can prevent loading the plugin. It will then not be listed
> on about:plugins page.

I prefer to inform users about the problem through plugin window. And
the file whose name is the same as MPlayer can be exist. Really, Media
Player of WinOS2 has the same file name.

--
KO Myung-Hun

Using Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.1.8
Under OS/2 Warp 4 for Korean with FixPak #15

On AMD ThunderBird 1 GHz with 512 MB RAM

Peter Brown

Mar 1, 2008, 1:34:08 PM3/1/08
Hi

----- snip -----

> The reason why you sea the green stripe is th default colorkey of
> MPlayer is green. But this is not true for WVGUI. You can see a little
> space instead of a green stripe. If not, it's a problem specific to
> MPlayer, but that's too bad. T.T
>
>> Does anyone want to post a link to the version of WO they know works
>> on their system, Please.
>>

> You can get the (maybe) latest WO at,
>

> http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/video/warpoverlay/warpoverlay-20060306.zip

Finally managed to get WVGUI to work with WO and display the clip using
this package
http://en.ecomstation.ru/projects/warpoverlay/warpoverlay-20051025.zip

I can now confirm there is a black space instead of a green stripe so
will follow Steve's tip for changing the colorkey elsewhere in this thread.

Thanks

Pete

Heiko Nitzsche

Mar 1, 2008, 5:41:27 PM3/1/08
>> A streamed file will end up in %TEMP% under some random name and thus
>> read/write works there.
>
> I know, this is true for NP_ASFILE mode only, isn't it ?

Yes, for the other modes the plugin has to handle the stream data
by itself.

Doug Bissett

Mar 1, 2008, 11:56:40 PM3/1/08
On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 04:27:57 UTC, Steve Wendt <spa...@forgetit.org>
wrote:

> 1) support for disabling (Doodle's) screen saver

> WarpVision has this, and MPlayer does it in X11

DSS-remote will do that, for any program that it is told to do it for:

> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/scrnsave/dss_rmt_v13.zip

Hope this helps...
--
From the eComStation 2.0 RC2 of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net

Steve Wendt

Mar 2, 2008, 1:53:22 AM3/2/08
On 03/01/08 08:56 pm, Doug Bissett wrote:

>> 1) support for disabling (Doodle's) screen saver
>> WarpVision has this, and MPlayer does it in X11
>
> DSS-remote will do that, for any program that it is told to do it for:
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/scrnsave/dss_rmt_v13.zip

Thanks for that - it would be nice to have it built into mplayer, but
this looks handy.

Heikki Kekki

Mar 4, 2008, 12:03:43 PM3/4/08
wrote:

> 1) If you copy a TTF font to %HOME%\.mplayer\subfont.ttf, the OSD will

> be able to show text. The smallest one I had was Trebuc.TTF, and that
> works fine.

Trebuc.TTF looks ok. 'subfont-osd-scale=3' in config works here.

Steve Wendt

Mar 4, 2008, 10:40:10 PM3/4/08
On 03/04/08 09:03 am, Heikki Kekki wrote:

> Trebuc.TTF looks ok. 'subfont-osd-scale=3' in config works here.

Wonderful, thanks for that tip! I was wondering about that...

Alex Taylor

Mar 5, 2008, 2:14:36 AM3/5/08
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:03:43 UTC, "Heikki Kekki" <kekk...@sgic.fi.invalid>
wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 04:27:57 UTC, Steve Wendt <spa...@forgetit.org>
> wrote:
>
> > 1) If you copy a TTF font to %HOME%\.mplayer\subfont.ttf, the OSD will
> > be able to show text. The smallest one I had was Trebuc.TTF, and that
> > works fine.
>
> Trebuc.TTF looks ok. 'subfont-osd-scale=3' in config works here.

IMO it's more efficient to put "font" and "subfont" commands in CONFIG,
that way you don't have to waste time and disk space copying font files
around.

I have:
font=c:/psfonts/mtsans_w.ttf
subfont=c:/psfonts/mtsans_w.ttf
which IMO looks very nice.

--
Alex Taylor
Fukushima, Japan

Please take off hat when replying.

Steve Wendt

Mar 5, 2008, 4:40:45 AM3/5/08
On 03/04/08 11:14 pm, Alex Taylor wrote:

>>> 1) If you copy a TTF font to %HOME%\.mplayer\subfont.ttf, the OSD will
>

> IMO it's more efficient to put "font" and "subfont" commands in CONFIG,
>

> font=c:/psfonts/mtsans_w.ttf
> subfont=c:/psfonts/mtsans_w.ttf

Ah, I didn't realize you could do that. I know that "subfont" gets used
by the OSD; what does "font" get used for?

Alex Taylor

Mar 7, 2008, 12:08:46 AM3/7/08

'font' is used for OSD, 'subfont' is used for subtitles.

If 'subfont' is missing, it falls back to 'font' for subtitles. Not sure
if the same holds true in reverse or not.

Steve Wendt

Mar 7, 2008, 2:35:07 AM3/7/08
On 03/06/08 09:08 pm, Alex Taylor wrote:

> 'font' is used for OSD, 'subfont' is used for subtitles.

I see; that makes sense.

> If 'subfont' is missing, it falls back to 'font' for subtitles. Not sure
> if the same holds true in reverse or not.

It certainly seems to.

Dave Yeo

Mar 8, 2008, 9:57:05 PM3/8/08
I wonder if it would be better for MPlayer to use mzfntcfgft instead of
Freetype + Fontconfig?
To build a MPlayer version of mzfntcfgft needs this small patch,

--- Makefile.old Sat Mar 1 13:23:52 2008
+++ Makefile Sat Mar 1 13:24:34 2008
@@ -30,7 +30,8 @@
base/ftbitmap.o \
type42/type42.o \
pshinter/pshinter.o \
- otvalid/otvalid.o
+ otvalid/otvalid.o \
+ base/ftstroke.o
FREETYPE_CFLAGS = -DFT2_BUILD_LIBRARY=1

CFLAGS += -I../$(INCLUDEDIR) $(FONTCONFIG_CFLAGS) $(FREETYPE_CFLAGS)

Dave

Dale Erwin

Mar 9, 2008, 12:16:21 AM3/9/08
I would like to see a playlist for Mplayer since I have found no
way to make one. Did I miss it? Or does it really not support a
playlist?

--
Dale Erwin
Av. Circunvalación CEC-2

Pete

Mar 9, 2008, 1:23:25 AM3/9/08
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 05:16:21 UTC, Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org> wrote:

> I would like to see a playlist for Mplayer since I have found no
> way to make one. Did I miss it? Or does it really not support a
> playlist?

In a VIO window: mplayer ?>[filename] will give you a "help text file".
Create a play list named <file>.lst, which should read:

[playlist]
File1=<file1>.mpg
File2=<file2>.mpg
File3=<file3>.mpg
etc.

and save it in plain text.
Then run: mplayer -playlist <your playlist file>
DNDing the lst file doesn't work here (nor does it with WarpVision,
which requires using the Playlist->Load menu).

HTH,
Pete