Use and maintenance of xlib code

Peter Naulls

Nov 11, 2006, 2:10:48 PM11/11/06

The suggestion was made on IRC that I post this here.

For my platform port of Mozilla et al, I am presently making
use of of the xlib gfx and widget code. This is a port
to RISC OS (http://www.riscos.info, .org, .com et al). I
submitted code for nspr for this platform over a year ago,
and have other minor changes to the build, etc, I will be
contributing very shortly.

Ideally, in the short term, I'd be using the GTK1 or GTK2 code,
but for technical reasons, this isn't immediately practical.

In the longer term, I have native platform widget code,
which mostly relies upon the xlib stuff, but will gradually
be replaced with native code. For the moment, this is
just menu code based on the Mac stuff.

I appreciate that there's a desire to remove the almost
entirely unused xlib and GTK1 code, and therefore propose
myself as nominal maintainer of the xlib code whilst I
still use it. I say nominal, as I don't have any patches
to this code itself and don't plan to make any, apart from
using it.

One other possibility in the medium term for the code
in xlib which I do use to simply be moved into a "riscos"
module.

Peter Naulls

Nov 13, 2006, 11:47:16 PM11/13/06
Peter Naulls wrote:

[xlib support]

> I appreciate that there's a desire to remove the almost
> entirely unused xlib and GTK1 code, and therefore propose
> myself as nominal maintainer of the xlib code whilst I
> still use it. I say nominal, as I don't have any patches
> to this code itself and don't plan to make any, apart from
> using it.

Ok, this is no longer true. There were some updates to
gfx way back in February which didn't make it to xlib.
I've got a patch for this I'll submit possibly
with some additional issues I'm still tracking down.