Firefox 2 Release Candidate 1 is now available for download

1 view

beltzner

Sep 26, 2006, 5:44:36 PM9/26/06
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla....@lists.mozilla.org
(originally posted at:
http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2006/09/26/firefox-2-release-candidate-1-is-now-available-for-download/)

Firefox 2 Release Candidate 1 (RC 1), the preview release of the next
version of the Firefox browser, is now available for download at
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/all-rc.html. Web application
developers, our testing community, and users who want to get a sneak
peek at the next version of Firefox should download and install this
release candidate. Please note that at this time, users should not
expect all of their extensions, plugins and themes from previous
versions of Firefox to work properly.

The release notes have a detailed list of what's new in Firefox 2 RC
1, including:

* A new theme that updates Firefox's familiar interface
* Built in Phishing Protection
* Enhanced search engine management and search suggestions for
Google, Yahoo! and Answers.com
* Improvements to tabbed browsing, including the ability to
re-open recently closed tabs
* Firefox will resume from where you left off after a system crash
or browser restart
* Better support for previewing and subscribing to Web feeds
* Inline spell checking in Web forms
* The ability to create bookmarks with "Live Titles" for Web sites
that offer microsummaries
* New Add-ons manager that simplifies management of extensions and themes.
* Support for JavaScript 1.7
* Extended search plugin format
* Updates to the extension system to provide enhanced security and
to allow for easier localization of extensions
* Support for client-side session and persistent storage
* Support for SVG text using svg:textPath
* New Windows installer based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System

You can download Firefox 2 Release Candidate 1 for Windows, Mac OSX
and Linux in more than 40 languages. We encourage our users to give us
feedback on this release, either using Hendrix
(http://feedback.mozilla.org) or by filing a bug (please read the bug
filing instructions first, and check out the list of known issues in
the release notes.)

Developers can look at the Firefox 2 for Developers article on the
Mozilla Developer Center for information about changes in Firefox 2
Release Candidate 1 that might affect their extensions, plugins,
themes or websites.

Ongoing planning for Firefox 2 can be followed at the Firefox 2
Planning Center, as well as in mozilla.dev.planning and on
irc.mozilla.org in #bonecho.

--
/ mike beltzner / phenomenologist / mozilla corporation /