Streaming Audio support in Firefox

1 view

Chris Double

Mar 18, 2007, 7:53:43 PM3/18/07
I have a need to do streaming audio from within Firefox for the ogg
theora/streaming video support being added. Is there anything in
Firefox that does this already, or does anyone have any
recommendations for a suitable cross platform sound library to handle
this?

A couple that I'm aware of are OpenAL and PortAudio:

http://www.openal.org
http://www.portaudio.com

I'm most familiar with OpenAL personally and have used this for Ogg
Vorbis streaming before and know that that works fine across Windows,
Linux and Mac OS X. I've not used port audio but there are examples of
streaming vorbis with it around. Can anyone recommend any others?

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz

Vladimir Vukicevic

Mar 21, 2007, 6:29:47 PM3/21/07
to Chris Double

OpenAL is probably the best option, though I haven't looked at the
licenses surrounding it. However, its support is kind of spotty;
Creative is really the main driver of OpenAL, though now that Microsoft
killed accelerated DirectSound iin Vista, it might get a push. I'm not
familiar with PortAudio though it may be a good option, as might taking
the audio bits from SDL. (But I think SDL is LGPL'd, so maybe that
won't work.)

- Vlad

Eric Shepherd

Mar 21, 2007, 6:41:19 PM3/21/07
to Vladimir Vukicevic, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
OpenAL is also included standard with Mac OS X 10.4 and later, and is
a heck of a lot easier to work with than Core Audio.

Eric Shepherd
Developer Documentation Lead
she...@mozilla.com

Gervase Markham

Mar 22, 2007, 8:17:17 AM3/22/07
to Chris Double
Chris Double wrote:
> http://www.openal.org
> http://www.portaudio.com

PortAudio has already been integrated into Mozilla, at least in some
way, as part of the Zap! SIP client project:
http://bonsai.mozilla.org/rview.cgi?dir=mozilla/zap/audio/portaudio&cvsroot=/cvsroot&module=default

Gerv