SeaMonkey 2.0 - The Modern Internet Suite is Here!

1 view

Robert Kaiser

Oct 27, 2009, 6:27:47 AM10/27/09
The SeaMonkey project at Mozilla is excited to release its completely
refurbished next generation of the all-in one Internet suite today:
SeaMonkey 2.0, now available for free download from the
seamonkey-project.org website, melds the ideas behind Netscape
Communicator with the modern platform of Firefox 3.5 to create one of
the most compelling open source products for advanced Internet users.

The combination of an Internet browser, email & newsgroup client,
HTML editor, IRC chat and web development tools, that has already
established a wide user base in its previous incarnations, has been
rebuilt on top of the modern Mozilla platform, featuring world-class
add-on management among other things. In addition, it has been improved
with feed support (including an RSS and Atom feed reader in the mail
component), a modern look, restoration of browser tabs and windows after
crashes or restarts, tabbed mail, automated updates, smart history
search from the location bar, faster JavaScript, HTML5 features (for
example video and downloadable fonts), and even support for the
Lightning calendar add-on (which will issue a beta for installation on
SeaMonkey 2.0 in the next few weeks).

The release notes feature more in-depth lists of the improvements and
known issues with the new version as well as installation requirements
and instructions. Find even more information on SeaMonkey 2.0 and the
SeaMonkey project at seamonkey-project.org!

Full news article:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/news#2009-10-27

Downloads for all available platforms and languages:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

Release notes:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.0

System Requirements:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/system-requirements

Robert Kaiser
SeaMonkey project coordinator

Robert Kaiser

Oct 27, 2009, 6:30:35 AM10/27/09
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> The SeaMonkey project at Mozilla is excited to release its completely
> refurbished next generation of the all-in one Internet suite today

Oops, forgot another followup-to, please reply only to
mozilla.support.seamonkey!

Robert Kaiser

e...@edmullen.net

Oct 27, 2009, 10:38:20 PM10/27/09
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> The SeaMonkey project at Mozilla is excited to release its completely
> refurbished next generation of the all-in one Internet suite today:
> SeaMonkey 2.0, now available for free download from the
> seamonkey-project.org website, melds the ideas behind Netscape
> Communicator with the modern platform of Firefox 3.5 to create one of
> the most compelling open source products for advanced Internet users.

Bravo. Good work.

Well, except for the totally ill-conceived trashing of the modal windows.

If I have multiple accounts for a single site (say, American Express,
which I do, and many many other sites), and the reason I stored that
account info in SeaMonkey in the first place was because I can't and
don't want to have to recall the arcane login info, then, no, the new
paradigm doesn't work.

If I can't remember that one login begins with "1" and the other login
begins with "e" and the third login begins with "j" ... well, how the
hell is this new paradigm better? I mean, look, I plugged all this data
into SeaMonkey so SM could remember it, not me.

WTFO?

The whole point of that function is (well, "was") so I don't have to
remember, ok? And now you guys broke it. So I now have to remember all
my logins in order to use SM's function.

Admit it. You broke a perfectly good and useful function.

We can argue later about WHY you broke it. But, admit it. The function
is broken. The functionality is broken. The usability is broken.

"Stupid modal window"? Users don't care about that argument. I care
that I have a useful function on a Web site where I have 3 or 4 or 5
different logins. AND THE REASON I US SM AND IT'S LOGIN FUNCTION WAS
... I DON'T WANNA HAVE TO REMEMBER THIS SHIT!!!

Got it now?

So, okay, modal windows have been deemed inelegant by the programmers.
Fine. No problem.

Tell you what. Solve my problem and yours at the same time and I'll
praise you.

Screw me with nonsensical programming arguments? Sorry. You can't
support it. There's no argument you can muster that says your argument
outweighs normal usage like mine.

Tell me, please. If a user of SM has 3 or 4 (or more) logins to a
single site, and the whole purpose of using SM's password manager is to
not have to remember any of those logins, so that when a user goes to a
login URL he'll be tossed up a modal (sorry, "stupid" modal) window
wherein he can go "Oh! Right! My wife's account! No! My account! Oh
no!!! My daughter's account! Ooops! My son's account ..."

Hey. If I wanted to keep all that shit in my brain I'd just use IE. Or
something else. What the hell where you people thinking?

So, ok, please, tell me. Tell me, in my usage, how am I to employ the
new SM paradigm? How is this better for me?

And, please, tell me, how does this new and better paradigm work when I
log into a site where I have 2, 3, 4 or 5 login identities and I can't
remember how any of them start?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Gervase Markham

Oct 28, 2009, 12:19:42 PM10/28/09
to SeaMonkey Council
On 27/10/09 10:27, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> The SeaMonkey project at Mozilla is excited to release its completely
> refurbished next generation of the all-in one Internet suite today:

[Intentionally not following up to mozilla.support.seamonkey]

Congratulations to the entire SeaMonkey team!

When Mozilla ended support for the Mozilla Suite was ended back in 2005,
there were some within the project who were deeply sceptical that the
community could carry the project on alone, and even more sceptical that
the manpower could be found to make the transition to the new toolkit,
without which the project would die. Those fears have been proved
groundless on both counts. Well done to you all :-)

Gerv

Serge Gautherie

Oct 28, 2009, 2:06:27 PM10/28/09
to e...@edmullen.net
e...@edmullen.net wrote:

Bashing in multiple unrelated newsgroups will certainly not help you/us
! :-(

Bill Davidsen

Oct 28, 2009, 6:00:31 PM10/28/09
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> The SeaMonkey project at Mozilla is excited to release its completely
> refurbished next generation of the all-in one Internet suite today:
> SeaMonkey 2.0, now available for free download from the
> seamonkey-project.org website, melds the ideas behind Netscape
> Communicator with the modern platform of Firefox 3.5 to create one of
> the most compelling open source products for advanced Internet users.

As Ralph Kramden used to say, "How suite it is!" I doubt anyone under 50 knows
who he was...

--
Bill Davidsen <davi...@tmr.com>

Robert Kaiser

Oct 28, 2009, 7:48:59 PM10/28/09

Gerv, thanks for the congratulations, and thanks for the support of the
Mozilla Foundation - without that our team wouldn't be able to work the
way it does. I'm looking forward to continuing that cooperation!

Oh, and I'd like to thanks every one who helped getting us there, I'm
the mere coordinator of the project, but it's our great community who
makes all this possible!

Robert Kaiser

Rich Gray

Oct 28, 2009, 10:06:15 PM10/28/09
Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> The SeaMonkey project at Mozilla is excited to release its completely
>> refurbished next generation of the all-in one Internet suite today:
>> SeaMonkey 2.0, now available for free download from the
>> seamonkey-project.org website, melds the ideas behind Netscape
>> Communicator with the modern platform of Firefox 3.5 to create one of
>> the most compelling open source products for advanced Internet users.

Fantastic! What wonderful work by the SeaMonkey team, backed
by the power of Mozilla Gecko and its horde of contributors!

(Then is finally NOW.) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEQg-L-Rbp0 +3:50 ;)

--
Rich (Pull thorn from address to e-mail me.)
SeaMonkey - Surfing the net has never been so suite!

Gerd Schweizer

Oct 29, 2009, 12:04:28 PM10/29/09
Robert Kaiser schrieb:
Thank You very much, Robert.
What I am looking for is a small update instruction.
The Version two was announced yesterday like the previous smaller
updates. But i mean to remember, that for example 1.18 and 2.0 are not
so compatible with the personal options and data.

So i hesitate now installing the new version because of my bookmarks and
newsgroups.