Backport VS running unit tests on builders for 1.9.1 and 1.9.2

Armen Zambrano Gasparnian

Jul 15, 2010, 5:25:16 PM7/15/10
Hi all,

This week we started running unit tests on the minis for 1.9.1 and 1.9.2
but I realized that many permanent oranges that have been fixed on
mozilla-central had not been ported to these branches (and therefore we
have perma-oranges).

I propose to run unit tests *only* on the builders rather than on the
minis (only for 1.9.1 and 1.9.2) since I don't think it would benefit
any of us to have to backport all these fixes to these branches while we
are focusing on Fx4.0.

I would like to continue enabling unit tests on the project branches and
disable 1.9.1/1.9.2 on the minis. We could then revisit my previous
proposal.

To note that if we proceed with running unit tests on the minis we will
have to change it for releases as well.
Also to note, that we don't gain too much load benefits from the switch.
The pushes for 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 only accounted for 5% of all pushes on
May while try, m-c and tracemonkey account for more than 80% of the load
(try 44%; mc 28%; t.m. 10%) [1]. We have already done the switch for the
mentioned 3 branches (I still have to switch tracemonkey off on the
builders' side).

Any objections on keep on running unit tests on the builders for
1.9.1/1.9.2 and forget wrt the minis for now?

Cheers,
Armen

PS=We will soon have the post for the load on June if that will
influence the decision.

[1] http://oduinn.com/images/2010/blogpost_2010_05_pie.png