E10s Planning, Plugins, and Responsiveness Meeting - Friday, Nov 4, 10AM PDT

Damon Sicore

Nov 3, 2011, 2:01:04 PM11/3/11
to mozilla.dev.planning group
All,

There will be a meeting Friday, November 4, at 10:00AM PDT to discuss optimizing our efforts to improve browser responsiveness. Specifically, we will discuss remaining tasks for e10s and if and how we will resource them, hangs and jank caused by plugins, and other efforts to improve responsiveness. Below is the agenda for the meeting. If you are in the BCC list (using BCC list to avoid dev-planning auto-bouncing this as spam), you should plan to attend.

Meeting Details:

# When: Friday, Nov 4, 10am PDT. Blocking out two hours for this discussion.
# Mozilla Mountain View: Warp Core, 3rd floor
# 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
# 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US)
# Vidyo Room: Warp Core
# Vidyo Guest URL: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=UK1zyrd7Vhym (please mute)
# irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel

# Agenda

1) Confirm responsiveness is a top goal (no matter the method) for engineering.

2) Discuss potential jank problems to be solved outside E10S and the measurements we are using to track them

+ Andreas & Joel/Ted's tools
+ Taras' I/O tracking
+ Places
+ Incremental GC
+ Cycle Collector

3) Role of E10S in solving jank issues

4) Out of process plugin hangs, jank, memory, and lifecycle issues - Identify efforts and staff.

5) E10s Future prioritization, staffing and drivers