Weekly Engineering Newsletter 2011-02-16

Asa Dotzler

Feb 16, 2011, 7:16:49 PM2/16/11
All the way from Barcelona, Spain, this is issue number 5 of the Weekly
Engineering Newsletter: everything you need to know about engineering at
Mozilla in less than 500 words. You asked for it. You got it. More news.
Less noise.

*What You Need to Know Right This Minute*

Softblocking bugs no longer have automatic approval. It's hardblocker
time! You can get the details here: http://bit.ly/eJfQAc

*Planning Update*

We're days from our final planned beta. There are currently 8 open
engineering betaN hardblockers and only 1 of them is still without a patch.

The final hardblocker list is at 30; 20 without patches.

Mozilla engineering priorities look like this: betaN hardblockers >
final hardblockers

*Must Read Blogs & News*

Ed Lee — "Great time to use Firefox 4"
http://ed.agadak.net/2011/02/great-time-to-use-firefox-4

Phillip Smith — "The Web is changing, and we are changing with it"
http://www.phillipadsmith.com/2011/02/the-web-is-changing-and-we-are-changing.html

Paul Rouget — "Is IE9 a modern browser?"
http://people.mozilla.com/~prouget/ie9/

*A Taste of Awesome*

Last week Chris Atlee delivered some righteous improvements to Linux and
Mac try builds. This week he followed that up with the same wins for
Windows builds, knocking 25 minutes off their build times.

*Closing Remarks*

Normally, I like to wrap the Newsletter with some words of wisdom from
various leaders around the Mozilla universe. But this week I'm abusing
my position as editor and taking the "Closing Remarks" for myself so
that I can say a quick thank you to three phenomenal Mozillians who are
moving on.

Aravind Gottipati, Mike Beltzner, and Vlad Vukićević, thank you each for
your many years of dedication to Mozilla. Good luck and don't be strangers.

Oh, and as Mike said, "Let's get back to work and ship this thing."