Closing mozilla trunk for Firefox 3.1 Beta 3 code freeze

Mike Beltzner

Jan 22, 2009, 8:00:30 PM1/22/09
to mozilla.dev.planning group, dev-platfo...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-apps-firefox@lists.mozilla.org List
(followup/reply-to mozilla.dev.planning / dev-
plan...@lists.mozilla.org)

Hey everyone,

As we approach the code freeze deadline for Firefox 3.1 / Gecko 1.9.1
Beta 3, I would like to propose that we restrict both trunk and branch
to the same set of checkin rules. Patches must land on mozilla-central
before the 1.9.1 branch, so this proposal aims to keep the activity on
trunk to a minimum to make it easier to land patches for our remaining
Beta 3 blockers: http://is.gd/gTFy

For a patch to land on mozilla-central, it would have to:
* fix a bug marked blocking1.9.1+ or blocking-firefox3+, or
* be marked with approval1.9.1+, or
* not affect Firefox build (tests, NPOTB changes)

Patches nominated for approval1.9.1 should:
* have tests, or a strong statement of what can be done in the absence
of tests
* have landed on trunk and baked for a few days (at least)
* have an assessment of performance impact
* have an assessment of risk

Once all the Beta 3 blockers land on mozilla-central, we would lift
these restrictions.

If you have any objections, please let me know. Otherwise Ted (who is
Sheriff tomorrow) will impose the rules at 9am EST.

cheers,
mike

Reed Loden

Jan 22, 2009, 8:04:24 PM1/22/09
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:00:30 -0500
Mike Beltzner <belt...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> For a patch to land on mozilla-central, it would have to:
> * fix a bug marked blocking1.9.1+ or blocking-firefox3+, or
> * be marked with approval1.9.1+, or
> * not affect Firefox build (tests, NPOTB changes)

How do we get approval1.9.1+ for patches that haven't yet baked/landed
on mozilla-central, considering the usual process is land on
mozilla-central first, wait a little bit, and then request approval for
the branch(es)?

~reed

--
Reed Loden - <re...@reedloden.com>

Mike Shaver

Jan 22, 2009, 8:14:42 PM1/22/09
to Reed Loden, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org

With difficulty, which is one of the desired tree-calming effects of
this change. Confidence through other testing will need to be quite
high; if it's not worth getting the testing that high, it should wait
until b3 has shipped.

Mike

Mark Finkle

Jan 22, 2009, 10:42:01 PM1/22/09
to mozilla.dev.planning group, dev-platfo...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-apps-firefox@lists.mozilla.org List
> For a patch to land on mozilla-central, it would have to:
> * fix a bug marked blocking1.9.1+ or blocking-firefox3+, or
> * be marked with approval1.9.1+, or
> * not affect Firefox build (tests, NPOTB changes)

What about fennec-blocking1.0+ ?

Mike Beltzner

Jan 22, 2009, 11:30:41 PM1/22/09
to Mike Shaver, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, Reed Loden
On 22-Jan-09, at 8:14 PM, Mike Shaver wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Reed Loden <re...@reedloden.com>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:00:30 -0500
>> Mike Beltzner <belt...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>

>>> For a patch to land on mozilla-central, it would have to:
>>> * fix a bug marked blocking1.9.1+ or blocking-firefox3+, or
>>> * be marked with approval1.9.1+, or
>>> * not affect Firefox build (tests, NPOTB changes)
>>

>> How do we get approval1.9.1+ for patches that haven't yet baked/
>> landed
>> on mozilla-central, considering the usual process is land on
>> mozilla-central first, wait a little bit, and then request approval
>> for
>> the branch(es)?
>
> With difficulty, which is one of the desired tree-calming effects of
> this change. Confidence through other testing will need to be quite
> high; if it's not worth getting the testing that high, it should wait
> until b3 has shipped.

Indeed - there's a pretty big backlog of baking patches (http://is.gd/gUSi
) which I'll look through and could take some time to land already.
The goal here is to lock down hard for b3, then re-open again
afterwards. What we don't want is to delay our code freeze because we
have to wait for quiet checkin cycles.

cheers,
mike

Mike Beltzner

Jan 22, 2009, 11:25:59 PM1/22/09
to Mark Finkle, mozilla.dev.planning group, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-platfo...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-apps-firefox@lists.mozilla.org List
On 22-Jan-09, at 10:42 PM, Mark Finkle wrote:

>> For a patch to land on mozilla-central, it would have to:
>> * fix a bug marked blocking1.9.1+ or blocking-firefox3+, or
>> * be marked with approval1.9.1+, or
>> * not affect Firefox build (tests, NPOTB changes)
>

> What about fennec-blocking1.0+ ?

Nominate those for approval and poke me on IRC if you really need them
in over the weekend.

cheers,
mike