Proposal to move Merge Day one day earlier

Lukas Blakk

May 16, 2012, 12:35:31 PM5/16/12
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
tl;dr Unless there are any blocking issues brought up about this
proposal the merging and uplifting of our release repos will take place
the day before the next release,*Monday June 4th.*

_*Details:*_

After doing some investigation, it turns out there is no technical
reason to keep merge day mechanicstied to release datesof Firefox.

In order to lessen the amount of infra churn and decrease the potential
for error on release days, Release Management is proposing moving the
merging of release repos (central -> aurora -> beta) to the day before
release days. Thiswill typically fall on a Monday unless a release day
is ever shifted from its current Tuesday spot.

What will this mean for developers?

* Aurora updates will be throttled one day earlier to avoid picking up
the new nightlies that are kicked off post-merge
* Nightly/Aurora landing cut off will be one day earlier
* In the case of a Beta respin post-merge, landings will have to be done
in two places: on a mozilla-beta relbranch and to the mozilla-release repo
* There will be a day where marking your bug fixed will require
additional thought about what version number the fix landed on

Again, there is nothing lost technically in the moving of merge day. We
can still build last-minute betas if we need to respin, and we will have
an opportunity to QA the new nightlies post-merge ahead of release day
so this move should make the whole process smoother over two days
instead of one.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
*-*-*-*-*
Release Manager, Mozillian

Axel Hecht

May 18, 2012, 8:25:47 AM5/18/12

one question, one concern:

Is there a difference between tree stability on monday vs tuesday? In
particular, do people tend to crash land on the weekend, or on monday?
(Yeah, sure, they shouldn't cl, but still)

With mozilla confs being weekends mostly, monday is probably a travel
day more often than tuesdays, at least it's for me. Any suggestions for
a backup plan? I guess so far we've been lucky, might be good to answer
at large.

Axel

Mark Banner

May 21, 2012, 7:23:22 AM5/21/12
> In order to lessen the amount of infra churn and decrease the potential
> for error on release days, Release Management is proposing moving the
> merging of release repos (central -> aurora -> beta) to the day before
> release days. Thiswill typically fall on a Monday unless a release day
> is ever shifted from its current Tuesday spot.

From the comm-* merge perspective I'm happy for this to be a day
earlier. Reducing the churn of one day is always good, and I haven't
thought of any reason it'll affect us.

Will the 'go' for the beta build also be moved a day earlier (assuming
no conflicting issues etc), or will that remain where it is?

Mark.

Lukas Blakk

May 21, 2012, 1:04:46 PM5/21/12
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
> _____________
Nothing about the releases themselves would change from this proposal
(at least nothing due to merge day planning) - if there was ever a shift
in the 'go' or release dates, we would want to keep the merge day in
step (ie: one day earlier than the release day, whenever that day is)

--
*-*-*-*-*
Release Manager, Mozillian

Alex Keybl

May 18, 2012, 8:04:37 PM5/18/12
to Axel Hecht, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
> Is there a difference between tree stability on monday vs tuesday?

Are you concerned with the stability of a version of Firefox after being uplifted to mozilla-aurora? It's common for us to have to back out regressing changes after uplift and before re-enabling Aurora updates, so it shouldn't affect quality.

> With mozilla confs being weekends mostly, monday is probably a travel day more often than tuesdays, at least it's for me. Any suggestions for a backup plan? I guess so far we've been lucky, might be good to answer at large.

If a Monday merge is for whatever reason impossible, we'd fall back to our normal Tuesday merge day (with a heads up ahead of time).

-Alex

Alex Keybl

May 21, 2012, 1:47:33 PM5/21/12
to Mark Banner, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Mark,

After performing the code merge, we still have to make sure devs make any necessary backouts before cutting our first build. We'll aim to go to build with the beta on Monday, but it's always possible that more critical release activities will take priority. In that case, we'd expect to go-to-build no later than Tuesday evening.

-Alex