Firefox 3.5 updates after 3.6 is released

Chris Ilias

Oct 7, 2009, 7:58:00 PM10/7/09
As I understand it, Firefox 3.6 will be treated as a minor update to
3.5.x. Does that mean that there will not be any 3.5.x updates after 3.6
is released?

Mike Beltzner

Oct 8, 2009, 11:09:34 AM10/8/09
to Chris Ilias, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org

It's not 100% decided yet, but if we issue a Firefox 3.6 as a minor
update, then yes, we'd stop supporting the 1.9.1 branch at that time.

There are several confounding issues with this approach, however, the
most notable being that Seamonkey and Thunderbird will be based on
mozilla-1.9.1

cheers,
mike

Archaeopteryx

Oct 9, 2009, 4:19:24 AM10/9/09
Please also recognize that as minor update it will be installed on most
computers automatically and people could suddenly find theirs extensions
disabled because they were only compatible with Firefox 3.5.*.

Archaeopteryx

Mike Beltzner

Oct 9, 2009, 8:57:50 AM10/9/09
to Archaeopteryx, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
----- "Archaeopteryx" <archae...@coole-files.de> wrote:
> Please also recognize that as minor update it will be installed on
> most
> computers automatically and people could suddenly find theirs
> extensions
> disabled because they were only compatible with Firefox 3.5.*.

Yes, of course; we are taking steps to ensure that we have a high degree of Add-on compatibility prior to shipping, and this will be part of the decision matrix used to decide how we present Firefox 3.6 to users.

cheers,
mike

Robert Kaiser

Oct 9, 2009, 9:33:17 AM10/9/09

Also, some minor functionality was removed from 3.6/1.9.2 that is still
in 3.5/1.9.1, and of course some was added - I wonder how people react
to those changes by an automatical "minor" update.

Robert Kaiser

Robert O'Callahan

Oct 9, 2009, 4:58:35 PM10/9/09
On 9/10/09 9:19 PM, Archaeopteryx wrote:
> Please also recognize that as minor update it will be installed on most
> computers automatically and people could suddenly find theirs extensions
> disabled because they were only compatible with Firefox 3.5.*.

Yes. I don't understand how we can issue 3.6 as a minor update given
this problem. (And it's not just a version numbering issue, there are
extension-breaking changes on the branch, right?)

Rob