production graphs 2.0 server ready for use

Robert Helmer

May 23, 2011, 9:04:04 PM5/23/11
Hello,

The 2.0 version of graphs.mozilla.org is ready for use:
http://graphs-new.mozilla.org

We're not quite ready to take over graphs.mozilla.org yet - the plan
is to do a phased rollout starting with this post, followed by
advertising the new URL on graphs.m.o, and finally taking over
graphs.m.o and moving the old server to graphs-old.m.o

This is the same version (with some minor tweaks based on feedback) as
described in this webdev blog post:
http://blog.mozilla.com/webdev/2011/02/04/perfomatic2-0/

The primary difference between this and the staging server (now at
graphs.allizom.org), is that graphs-new.m.o has realtime access to the
production DB rather than using a nightly snapshot. The dashboard
images are refreshed on 5-minute intervals, custom charts are pretty
much real-time (with several layers of caching, could be a few minutes
old in reality).

Thanks to everyone who has tested and provided feedback! More is
welcome, we plan to continue making incremental (and perhaps not-so-
incremental) improvements.

You can find more information at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Perfomatic:UI

Thanks!
rhelmer

P.S. one thing I should call out specifically - old-style graph URLs
are not compatible, primarily because the new graphserver
automatically shows the average of all machines in a platform rather
than a separate line for each, and the old-style URLs refer to
individual machines. If this is a show-stopper for anyone let's
discuss, it's certainly in the realm of possibility to support.

Nicholas Nethercote

May 23, 2011, 10:16:06 PM5/23/11
to Robert Helmer, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Robert Helmer <rob...@roberthelmer.com> wrote:

> The 2.0 version of graphs.mozilla.org is ready for use:
> http://graphs-new.mozilla.org

This is so much better (and faster) than the old graphs. Thank you!

One quibble: There are no units on the y axes. For example, on
Sunspider the result is around 10, but on the arewefastyet.com
machines Sunspider takes around 300ms, so I don't know what that 10
means.

It'd also be great to have explanations of what each test covers.
I've never seen good written explanations of what "Tp", "Ts", etc, are
measuring.

Nick

Robert Helmer

May 24, 2011, 12:39:23 AM5/24/11
On May 23, 7:16 pm, Nicholas Nethercote <n.netherc...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Robert Helmer <rob...@roberthelmer.com> wrote:
>
> > The 2.0 version of graphs.mozilla.org is ready for use:
> >http://graphs-new.mozilla.org
>
> This is so much better (and faster) than the old graphs.  Thank you!

Great, I am glad it's working for you!

> One quibble:  There are no units on the y axes.  For example, on
> Sunspider the result is around 10, but on the  arewefastyet.com
> machines Sunspider takes around 300ms, so I don't know what that 10
> means.

reddit agrees http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/ffook/arewefastyetcom_is_just_the_beginning_see_how_we/c1flv33
:)
We have a bug on file for this (bug 643897)

> It'd also be great to have explanations of what each test covers.
> I've never seen good written explanations of what "Tp", "Ts", etc, are
> measuring.

I would love to have friendlier names for these, I just filed bug
659218 for this.

There are wiki docs such as https://wiki.mozilla.org/Buildbot/Talos
(not sure if that's up-to-date), might be nice to link to those too.