Proposal: Add Core->Layout: Printing

Ken Herron

Jun 14, 2007, 3:34:32 PM6/14/07
Right now, the category Core->Printing is used for two classes of bugs:

1) Layout issues when printing, ie that the printout looks like

2) Integration to with the OS printing system, including cross-platform
components such as the page setup dialog.

My impression is that these categories are almost entirely distinct from
each other, and it'd be helpful to separate them. I think the simplest
way would be to create a Layout subcategory for print layout bugs.

Martijn

Jun 14, 2007, 4:11:52 PM6/14/07
to Ken Herron, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Yeah, I agree.
Layout->Printing
Layout->Print Preview
maybe?

Regards,
Martijn

2007/6/14, Ken Herron <kherron...@fmailbox.com>:

Martijn Wargers - Help Mozilla!
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/qa/
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla_QA_Community
irc://irc.mozilla.org/qa - /nick mw22

Boris Zbarsky

Jun 14, 2007, 4:27:17 PM6/14/07
Martijn wrote:
> Layout->Printing
> Layout->Print Preview

I don't think we need separate components here.

-Boris

Martijn

Jun 14, 2007, 4:52:28 PM6/14/07
to Boris Zbarsky, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
2007/6/14, Boris Zbarsky <bzba...@mit.edu>:

Ok, Layout->Printing/Print Preview then.

Regards,
Martijn

Gervase Markham

Jun 15, 2007, 11:37:00 AM6/15/07

Just to confirm: are you disagreeing with Ken's original proposal
entirely, or are you agreeing with it but suggesting that one layout
component and one OS-integration component is sufficient?

Gerv

Boris Zbarsky

Jun 15, 2007, 12:22:26 PM6/15/07
Gervase Markham wrote:
>> I don't think we need separate components here.
>
> Just to confirm: are you disagreeing with Ken's original proposal
> entirely, or are you agreeing with it but suggesting that one layout
> component and one OS-integration component is sufficient?

The latter.

-Boris

Gervase Markham

Jun 15, 2007, 12:48:23 PM6/15/07
Martijn wrote:
> Ok, Layout->Printing/Print Preview then.

So what happens to the current Core/Print Preview? Is that merged in
(or, equivalently, renamed)?

Are we saying that Core/Printing remains unchanged?

Gerv

Ken Herron

Jun 15, 2007, 1:11:56 PM6/15/07

Yes, I think it'd be fine to leave Core/Printing as it is, but limit it
to OS integration issues--broadly speaking, anything except layout.
Layout issues would move to the Core/Layout/Printing category.

Kenneth Herron

Jun 16, 2007, 8:56:25 AM6/16/07
Martijn wrote:

> Ok, Layout->Printing/Print Preview then.

Sorry to be a nitpicker, but after seeing the updated category list,
"Layout:Printing/Print Preview" seems to be annoyingly long. Personally,
I think "Layout:Printing" is sufficient, but if it's important to
mention preview, how about "Layout:Print & Preview" or "Layout:Printing
& Preview"?

Ken

Martijn

Jun 16, 2007, 12:34:36 PM6/16/07
to Kenneth Herron, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
2007/6/16, Kenneth Herron <kherron...@fmailbox.com>:

Fine by me, although I don't think "Layout:Printing/Print Preview" is very long.

Regards,
Martijn

> Ken

Gervase Markham

Jun 18, 2007, 5:59:46 AM6/18/07
Kenneth Herron wrote:
> Martijn wrote:
>
>> Ok, Layout->Printing/Print Preview then.
>
> Sorry to be a nitpicker, but after seeing the updated category list,
> "Layout:Printing/Print Preview" seems to be annoyingly long. Personally,
> I think "Layout:Printing" is sufficient,

Switched.

Gerv

Martijn

Jun 18, 2007, 6:33:46 AM6/18/07
to Gervase Markham, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
2007/6/18, Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org>:

> > Sorry to be a nitpicker, but after seeing the updated category list,
> > "Layout:Printing/Print Preview" seems to be annoyingly long. Personally,
> > I think "Layout:Printing" is sufficient,

I just hope that people who find bugs in print preview will find out
they need to file it under Layout:Printing.

Regards,
Martijn