Gran Paradiso M9 code freeze date is on the move!

Mike Beltzner

Oct 12, 2007, 3:29:28 PM10/12/07
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
As discussed in this week's Firefox 3 and Gecko 1.9 status meetings
[1], the code freeze date for Gran Paradiso M9 will be moving out
from next Wednesday due to the number of outstanding blockers[2].

The new code freeze date will be decided at next Wednesday's Gecko
1.9 status meeting, and it will be set somewhere between October 24th
and October 31st depending on our blocker fix rates. In the meantime,
the tree remains at threat level "orange" (always see the tinderbox
[3] for the current checkin rules) where only patches on blocking
bugs and those with driver approval are allowed to be checked in. All
contributors and drivers should be limiting risk, and testing their
patches for memory leaks and regressions before committing them, then
watching the tree afterwards to see the effects.

Once the new code freeze date is finalized, it will be announced on
Mozilla Developer News and in the mozilla.developer.planning
newsgroups. At that time we'll also announce the date when the tree
will move to threat level "red", where all checkins must be given
explicit endgame driver approval in order to limit risk of regression.

cheers,
mike

[1]: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3/StatusMeetings/2007-09-11
[2]: http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2007/10/08/
keeping-an-eye-on-blockers/
[3]: http://tinderbox.mozilla.org/showbuilds.cgi?tree=Firefox

Colin Barrett

Oct 12, 2007, 5:52:18 PM10/12/07

L. David Baron

Oct 12, 2007, 6:40:55 PM10/12/07
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On Friday 2007-10-12 15:29 -0400, Mike Beltzner wrote:
> The new code freeze date will be decided at next Wednesday's Gecko

Should we come up with a new term for this other than freeze? I
think the current usage is confusing, because what we used to call
"freeze" is now called "red", and we're reusing the term "freeze"
for something even more frozen. Maybe, instead of reusing the term,
we should come up with another one, so that people don't interpret
the term "freeze" with the old meaning? (maybe a color? black?)

-David

--
L. David Baron http://dbaron.org/
Mozilla Corporation http://www.mozilla.com/

John J. Barton

Oct 13, 2007, 12:28:52 PM10/13/07
L. David Baron wrote:
> On Friday 2007-10-12 15:29 -0400, Mike Beltzner wrote:
>> The new code freeze date will be decided at next Wednesday's Gecko
>
> Should we come up with a new term for this other than freeze? I
> think the current usage is confusing, because what we used to call
> "freeze" is now called "red", and we're reusing the term "freeze"
> for something even more frozen. Maybe, instead of reusing the term,
> we should come up with another one, so that people don't interpret
> the term "freeze" with the old meaning? (maybe a color? black?)
>
> -David

As a bonus you might use labels that actually described the character of
the state of the branch. Even acronyms would be better than threat
level colors.