Mozilla Scheduled Downtime - 2/8/2007, 7pm - 10pm PST

1 view

Justin Fitzhugh

Feb 8, 2007, 12:53:45 AM2/8/07
Mozilla Scheduled Downtime - 2/8/2007, 7pm - 10pm PST

We will have a scheduled downtime window this Thursday from 7pm to 10pm
PST. The following changes will take place:

* 7pm PST - Mozilla.com/org GSLB turn-up. Mozilla.com/org web sites
will be migrated to globally load balanced addresses. No downtime is
expected.
* 7pm PST - Webtools migration. We will be migrating all applications
on webtools01 (bonsai, bonsai-l10n, tinderbox, lxr, mxr, browser-buster)
to new hardware. 1 hour of downtime is expected.
* 8pm PST - Bugzilla memory upgrade. We'll be adding memory to our
bugzilla server. 5-15 minutes of downtime is expected.

Please let me know if you have any reason why we should not proceed with
the planned maintenance. As always, we aim to keep downtime to as
little as possible, but unexpected complications can arise causing
longer downtime periods than expected. All systems should be
operational by the end of the maintenance window. Feel free to email
infra at mozilla.org if you see issues past the planned downtime.

-Justin

Tony Mechelynck

Feb 8, 2007, 2:23:52 AM2/8/07
Justin Fitzhugh wrote:
> Mozilla Scheduled Downtime - 2/8/2007, 7pm - 10pm PST

There has been for several hours a banner on all Bugzilla pages about this;
so, for those who (like me) aren't always sure of the exact relation of PST to
their own time zone, I'm taking the liberty of adding UTC times below.

> We will have a scheduled downtime window this Thursday from 7pm to 10pm
> PST. The following changes will take place:
>
> * 7pm PST - Mozilla.com/org GSLB turn-up. Mozilla.com/org web sites
> will be migrated to globally load balanced addresses. No downtime is
> expected.

3am UTC Friday

> * 7pm PST - Webtools migration. We will be migrating all applications
> on webtools01 (bonsai, bonsai-l10n, tinderbox, lxr, mxr, browser-buster)
> to new hardware. 1 hour of downtime is expected.

3am UTC Friday; resumption of service expected at 4am UTC

> * 8pm PST - Bugzilla memory upgrade. We'll be adding memory to our
> bugzilla server. 5-15 minutes of downtime is expected.

4am UTC Friday

> Please let me know if you have any reason why we should not proceed with
> the planned maintenance. As always, we aim to keep downtime to as
> little as possible, but unexpected complications can arise causing
> longer downtime periods than expected. All systems should be
> operational by the end of the maintenance window. Feel free to email
> infra at mozilla.org if you see issues past the planned downtime.
>
> -Justin

Best regards,
Tony.
21. Your dog has its own home page.

Daniel

Feb 8, 2007, 3:09:16 AM2/8/07

Tony, is UTC also known as GMT and/or Zulu time??

Daniel

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Feb 8, 2007, 3:15:15 AM2/8/07

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Feb 8, 2007, 1:21:43 PM2/8/07

did anyone else get the following message:

"I am now away until Monday 12th February. I will respond to your email
upon my return. Regards, Ben Bradshaw"

who the hell is Ben Bradshaw and why should I care when he returns? It
was send to me regarding this Moz Scheduled Downtime.

David E. Ross

Feb 8, 2007, 9:15:02 PM2/8/07

UTC is the acronym for Universal Time (Coordinated). UTC tracks TAI
(the French acronym for International Atomic Time) with an offset
(integral number of seconds) to keep UTC aligned with solar time (UT,
Universal Time). This offset is adjusted (so far, always increased) by
a leap-second when the slowing rotation of the earth causes the
projected deviation of UTC from UT to exceed 0.9 seconds.

GMT (Greenwich mean time) is a time scale that approximates UTC but was
rendered obsolete by the advent of atomic clocks. Note that GMT should
not be confused with the GHA (Greenwich hour-angle), which is used to
convert UT to sidereal time (time measured from the stars instead of
from the sun).

Zulu is (or was?) a military designation for GMT. I believe the term
was chosen (1) because it's only two sylables verus the three of GMT,
(2) it is easily heard without confusion over background noise and
static, and (3) it sounds somewhat like zero (indicating zero hours
different from GMT); but this is speculative.

Horologists (those who study the science of time) use only UTC and TAI.
They no longer use GMT and never used Zulu.

Aren't you sorry you asked? :)

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

John McWilliams via TB

Feb 8, 2007, 10:21:57 PM2/8/07

Well, I for one, am glad he did. Now I know more about timekeeping than
anyone on my block, at least as of precisely 7:21:57 PM on Thursday,
February 8, 2007 {PST} or Zulu minus seven or eight, something like dat.

--
John McWilliams

Daniel

Feb 8, 2007, 11:10:25 PM2/8/07

I got one of the auto-replies, too. And I don´t even subscribe to the
email lists.

At least, you´d think, they could tell us where they´ve gone on hol´s to.

Daniel

Daniel

Feb 8, 2007, 11:18:56 PM2/8/07

Sorry! No, hopefully I´ve learned something today.

Many years ago, when I was into Astronomy, I had thought that UT was
International Date Line equivalent, but I soon learned I was wrong with
that, and after twenty-odd years in Military Communications, working in
Zulu was almost natural.

Daniel

Daniel

Feb 8, 2007, 11:24:49 PM2/8/07

and, John, what I think you meant to put was ¨....or 03:21:57 Zulu,
09022007¨, but it´s been a while.

Daniel

Brian Heinrich

Feb 9, 2007, 12:25:28 AM2/9/07
On 2007-02-08 21:24 (-0700 UTC), Daniel wrote:

> John McWilliams via TB wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

<snip />

>>> Aren't you sorry you asked? :)
>>
>> Well, I for one, am glad he did. Now I know more about timekeeping
>> than anyone on my block, at least as of precisely 7:21:57 PM on
>> Thursday, February 8, 2007 {PST} or Zulu minus seven or eight,
>> something like dat.
>
> and, John, what I think you meant to put was ¨....or 03:21:57 Zulu,
> 09022007¨, but it´s been a while.

I think the preferred ISO 8601 format is something like: Friday 2007-02-09
T 03:21:57 UTC.

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time> and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601>.

/b.

--
People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
--Stephen M. Graham

squaredancer

Feb 9, 2007, 6:50:28 AM2/9/07
On 09/02/2007 05:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Daniel to
generate the following:? :
.... yeah! *AND* whether there is any serious alarm-system at his
house..... (or a dog that bites :-) )

reg

squaredancer

Feb 9, 2007, 7:00:37 AM2/9/07
On 09/02/2007 03:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David E. Ross
to generate the following:? :
> Daniel wrote:
>
>> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>>
>>> Justin Fitzhugh wrote:

<<snipped>>

>>> There has been for several hours a banner on all Bugzilla pages about
>>> this; so, for those who (like me) aren't always sure of the exact
>>> relation of PST to their own time zone, I'm taking the liberty of adding
>>> UTC times below.

<<snipped>>
> ...... This offset is adjusted (so far, always increased) by

> a leap-second when the slowing rotation of the earth causes the
> projected deviation of UTC from UT to exceed 0.9 seconds.

<<snipped>>

> Aren't you sorry you asked? :)

you shouldn't post scary info like that =-O me here's thinking,
if the earth's rotation slows, me will fly off - at a horrific speed.
Don't wanna know about that in advance! :-!

reg

Mike Beltzner

Feb 9, 2007, 8:57:32 AM2/9/07
to squaredancer, dev.planning
Ok, this thread has gone way off-topic. Feel free to continue following up privately to each other, but unless you have comments about the actual downtime, please stop spamming this list.

Thanks.

cheers,
mike

Tony Mechelynck

Feb 10, 2007, 1:18:51 AM2/10/07

Yes:
UTC = Universal Coordinated Time
GMT = Greenwich Mean Time
They are approximately the same (UTC is the modern name). They are within
seconds of each other. Both show midday when the sun is on (or very near) the
Greenwich meridian (with a few minutes' difference known as "the equation of
time" and due to the movement of the Earth about itself and around the Sun).
That time zone is also known as Z zone (or Zulu in Air Force & Navy spelling
code).
"GMT" (actually, UTC) is also the official winter time in a number of
countries, among which the United Kingdom, Ireland and Portugal.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Clarke's Third Law:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from

G's Third Law:
In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe
is composed of only two basic substances: magic and bullshit.

H's Dictum:
There is no magic ...

Tony Mechelynck

Feb 10, 2007, 2:11:24 AM2/10/07
squaredancer wrote:
[...]

> you shouldn't post scary info like that =-O me here's thinking,
> if the earth's rotation slows, me will fly off - at a horrific speed.
> Don't wanna know about that in advance! :-!
>
> reg

The Earth's rotation does slow down, and always has, but very slowly: the
tides are acting as a brake. You won't fly off at any speed, horrific or not,
because the friction between you and whatever you're standing, sitting or
lying on, is enough to keep you going at the same rate as the Earth's surface.
If anything, the slowing down of Earth's rotation is making your apparent
weight marginally greater as centuries goes by, so don't worry.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was.

Daniel

Feb 11, 2007, 3:47:47 AM2/11/07
Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> squaredancer wrote:
> [...]
>> you shouldn't post scary info like that =-O me here's thinking,
>> if the earth's rotation slows, me will fly off - at a horrific speed.
>> Don't wanna know about that in advance! :-!
>>
>> reg
>
> The Earth's rotation does slow down, and always has, but very slowly:
> the tides are acting as a brake. You won't fly off at any speed,
> horrific or not, because the friction between you and whatever you're
> standing, sitting or lying on, is enough to keep you going at the same
> rate as the Earth's surface. If anything, the slowing down of Earth's
> rotation is making your apparent weight marginally greater as centuries
> goes by, so don't worry.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

No, Tony, it´s not the tides. I heard, back in the seventies I think it
was, that those pesky French had installed Wave Powered Electricity
Generators and, it was expected, their effect/opposition to waves would
lead to slowing of Earths rotation.

Darn those French!!

Daniel

squaredancer

Feb 11, 2007, 8:04:35 AM2/11/07
On 10/02/2007 08:11, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Tony
Mechelynck to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
> [...]
>
>> you shouldn't post scary info like that =-O me here's thinking,
>> if the earth's rotation slows, me will fly off - at a horrific speed.
>> Don't wanna know about that in advance! :-!
>>
>> reg
>>

> The Earth's rotation does slow down, and always has, but very slowly: the
> tides are acting as a brake. You won't fly off at any speed, horrific or not,
> because the friction between you and whatever you're standing, sitting or
> lying on, is enough to keep you going at the same rate as the Earth's surface.
> If anything, the slowing down of Earth's rotation is making your apparent
> weight marginally greater as centuries goes by, so don't worry.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

hmmmm - does that mean that politicians and lawyers (the slipery-slimey
people), will eventually loose friction and be dumped into space.... oh!
joyful thoughts!

reg